What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean that

the robot gets a 1-up on the humans

then yea, that was expected from the beginning. But that in and of itself shouldn't make a movie bad.

I watched it till the end.

Plenty of very boring moments... and with this "music".. bling... bling... blang... blang... ZZZzzz...

Now I only want to watch Blade Runner!

You people really need to learn to specify. It's boring why?

Great cast, flawless special effects, interesting idea. Just missing something in the execution.

Really? I was especially happy with the tone of it and that it didn't feel like another teenager movie, or sappy like a Nolan sci-fi.

And the nude scene at the end, come on... Ok, I'm gay, but come on, it's a f****** robot, I don't have to see her in the nude from head to toes.

Bridge of Spies. It's good and I enjoyed it but there's nothing spectacular about it. it's just another Spielberg historical drama. The score was.... Well there was music in the film. I can't recall any of it though. I've listened to the OST twice also... I think there's some make Russian style choir at one point?

The first third or so of the film was pretty much scoreless (I think the first bit of music appears 40 minutes into the film), and the last two thirds used music very sparsely.

I agree the music wasn't remarkable, but really, the way it's presented in the film, it doesn't have any occasion to shine.

Well, Lincoln was scored by JW and was also sparsely spotted. Maybe Spielberg just prefers it that way now?

I was thinking that but the music in Lincoln was far more memorable.

No. I just remembered the music in Lincoln better than the music in Bridge of Spies.

It wasn't Zimmer levels of bad. I guess I should be thankful for that!

Bridge of Spies

Spielberg once again shows he is a master of his craft. The film has a deliberate, slow pace, but doesn't get boring. The production value is very high and the movie is expertly shot as usual. It's a fine film. Not fantastic popcorn entertainment (it's too slow and deliberate), but fine filmmaking. Like much of Spielberg's later output, it's excellent viewing, but it's not a film I'll watch again soon. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon in the theatre though.

I've seen this fall

Bridge of Spies

Interesting subject but kind of talky. I enjoyed it but not one of Spielberg's best. Didn't notice the score

Maze Runner The Scorch Trials

I liked it, fast paced action-zombie movie .It didn't seem to have much to do with the first movie and the overarching plot doesn't make much sense

Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Teenage film with lame sex jokes. Pass

Hunger Games Mockingjay pt2

I was quite dissapointed compared to the book. I felt all the emotional high points fell flat .I think it was the weakest of all the Hunger Games movies.

SPECTRE

Entertaining but not too memorable. It felt more like an "old school" James Bond film which I liked

The Martian

I felt this movie had a total lack of suspence or tension .It was just Matt Damon solving problems one after the other in a predictble fashion. It never felt like he was in real danger. It had an upbeat pop soundtrack which didn't help

The Last Witch Hunter

Typical CGI laden fantasy film in the tradition of Hansel and Gretel and I Frankenstein. I don't mind these type of films for what they are but they are forgotten as soon as you leave the theater

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night.

I like slow movies and odd movies and I really like the atmosphere of this one, but it's too random, too open and too nondescript for it's own good, and that made what could be a nice slow atmospheric movie delve dangerously into boredom.

Black Mass - it's nice to see Johnny Depp actually ACTING again, and he's nastily convincing as notorious Boston gangster Jimmy 'Whitey' Bulger. Solid work too from Joel Edgerton as his old buddy who's now (ostensibly) on the right side of the law and Benedict Cumberbatch as Billy Bulger, whose promising career in politics means he's learned to turn a blind eye to big brother's activities.

I was a strong proponent of Birdman winning the cinematography Oscar, and I still think it's absolutely well deserved, but after watching Grand Budapest Hotel, I'm no longer convinced it was the only worthy option. GPH's cinematography, using multiple aspect ratios and nearly exclusively orthogonal angles was inspired and great fun.

Also, I realised that for some unknown reason, I've nearly completely ignored Wes Anderson, and I absolutely must stop doing that.

Grand Budapest I probably need to watch again, because I can't remember how I finally felt about it after it finished. It was a mini rollercoaster of fickle reactions for me that one.

As a big fan of Wes Anderson, I was actually surprisingly underwhelmed by The Grand Budapest Hotel. It all felt rather hollow by the end. I much preferred Moonrise Kingdom, but maybe I need to watch it again.

BRIDGE OF SPIES

Really, apart from a few scenes that profit from Spielberg's cinematic mise én scene, it was fucking boring. Didn't think a movie about spies in East Berlin could be so boring, to be honest.

Just saw Krampus. It's solid, with a well-rounded script underneath the spectacular effects and sound design. I wish it had a more distinctive musical score though (which isn't to say what's there isn't solid) and there also could have been less music (particularly the bumbling woodwind music in the opening act). I've heard that some people were disappointed with it but I have no idea why.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Far from flawless, but hugely entertaining. Well cast, well acted, brilliant looking and sounding.

It's NOT the best Star Wars film, (I would point to TESB for that, followed by SW itself) but it blows the Prequels out of the water simply because this films isnt a fucking borefest!

John Williams is a good shape in this, as is Harrison Ford

martian-group-01-800.jpg?resize=800%2C60

The Martian

Finally saw this last night. It was great! Very glad I got to see it in the theater and didn't wait to see it at home. In fact, I wish I had seen it in IMAX!

The story starts right away in this film, and never lets up with a pretty relentless pace. Damon was great but so was the entire supporting cast. It's essentially a predictable film where every problem that comes up gets solved and then we move on to the next problem, but that doesn't matter because it was so expertly crafted. It's pretty impressive that a 78 year old made this!

The only thing I didn't like was the running gag about the disco music, mostly because I hate disco music :P And its illogical that that was the only music Damon was left with, considering you can fit a million songs on something the size of a postage stamp these days. Having more classic rock would have been better!

Essentially the film is 1 part Apollo 13, 1 part Gravity, and 1 part Cast Away, but its really well done. I loved it!

It's a very entertaining film.

How cool was

the Council Of Elrond bit?

The funny thing is that this is actually in the book, apparently, so it's not even a joke they came up with just because they had

Sean Bean

in the film.

People laughed a lot at my theatre at that scene in a shot of Sean Bean.