Brian Eno Hates John Williams

Dixon Hill

I was lying in bed with the dulcet tones of a Brian Eno lecture lulling me to sleep as I often do when a curious sentiment jolted me awake. Hear for yourself at around 24:00.

Now, this is a man that I have serious respect for talking about another man I have serious respect for. Oh, the cognitive dissonance! Not the first time that he's made me cringe a bit with perhaps not so uncharacteristic as I thought closed-mindedness. Sigh... don't really care though, but I'm interested what discussion this will dredge up, if any. I expect certain stalwarts of John to crucify this chrome-domed blowhard and remind me that closed-mindedness is to be found in every direction.

The most widely heard composer in history, Stefan.

As I am not a connoisseur of Eno, what has this man done, besides call John Williams off-handedly an antichrist?

You never heard of him? Seriously?

Anyway, I don't really get why artists feel the urge to demonstrate their point by slagging off other artists. Seems quite rude and pointless. Something that belongs in Youtube culture (if there is such a thing).

Karol

He's an immensely influential musician, as is John Williams. Does it really matter in what "style" they work?

Of course it's easy to understand why the Williams sound is so reviled by him. In fact it's really just the extremist version of my "changing tastes" thread.

Karol

Heard of him yes, heard his work, not so much. What are his most famous pieces, songs etc? And this is not me trying to be sarcastic or condescending towards Eno. I honestly don't know.

He's an immensely influential musician,

Who did he influence?

Karol

Heard of him yes, heard his work, not so much. What are his most famous pieces, songs etc?

Didnt he collaborate on Dune? That's really all I know

Anyway, I don't really get why artists feel the urge to demonstrate their point by slagging off other artists. Seems quite rude and pointless. Something that belongs in Youtube culture (if there is such a thing).

Karol

He seems to have developed quite the ego in recent years. Unbecoming.

Karol

He seems to have developed quite the ego in recent years. Unbecoming.

Hey if an artist feels that he has to have a polar opposite, he must be allowed to express it. ;)

And the fact of the matter is that some people just don't like John Williams or they see him representing in some odd way all the evils they hear in backward looking classically, orchestrally and Romantically oriented composers.

Give me sound bytes, tidbits and highly condensed information package of his life in a nutshell smaller than a Wiki article and then and only then I will peruse it. ;)

LOL I LOVE this!

In 1994, Microsoft corporation designers Mark Malamud and Erik Gavriluk approached Brian Eno to compose music for the Windows 95 project.[31] The result was the six-second start-up music-sound of the Windows 95 operating system,

John Williams is of course an easy and obvious target for these kind of "so-called" experimental composers. Because he is seen by them of being part of the "establishment".

I've just dispatched a large container of everything I got on Eno - medical record, underwear, mastertapes, used condoms.

Karol

Excellent! Soon I will certainly know him, his personality, nay his very soul in full!

Good lord BB! You should not post such things here! We are a peace loving sensitive community! My eyes! My eyes! :folder:

Dance JWFan, dance!

Well played Mr. Pilgrim, well played.

:music: Devil's Dance

Meh, I enjoy many of the records he's produced and the man is entitled to his opinion, but here he just seems frustrated by his own inability to match the stupendous popularity and near universal embrace of his stylistic opposite (but not his peer) in the soundtrack medium. It's as if he blames the love of conventional orchestral scoring for his own failure to break into the craft in any sort of meaningful way.

Sod him.

He's no puppet. He's a very independent and alternative thinker. Of course he doesn't like typical Hollywood symbols like Williams or Spielberg. It's odd to bad-mouth a fellow artist (in public) though.

Give me sound bytes, tidbits and highly condensed information package of his life in a nutshell smaller than a Wiki article and then and only then I will peruse it. ;)

AKA tl;dr? ;)

I'm sure these will be right up the alley of most people here. ;)

It's fine to hate Williams' music, just as it's fine to hate the music of Tchaikovsky. Which people do.

Just remember it's not a personal insult on your own fine taste.

So we can pretty much ignore his opinions on the man then?

NEXT!

Or you could root for him, like you did for Neo in The Matrix.

Brian Eno is The One...

It's bizarre. If I try to think about music I genuinely could say I hate, the list has very few names, like Babbitt, Bieber, and Ferneyhough. And those three have more to do with the people than the sounds.

It's bizarre. If I try to think about music I genuinely could say I hate, the list has very few names, like Babbitt, Bieber, and Ferneyhough. And those three have more to do with the people than the sounds.

Well, Bieber and modern R&B aside, I hate opera. So I suppose you could say I hate the music of Alessandro Scarlatti. I also hate Baroque, so you could probably throw in the majority of those composers onto my avoid list as well. Apart from Handel, and his Water music. But if I were in the industry I'd never state any of that as a way of promoting my own work.

I wish I had the necessary evidence to start a thread called "The Dalai Lama Hates John Williams" just to see how people would go about tearing him down.

Well, Bieber and modern R&B aside, I hate opera. So I suppose you could say I hate the music of Alessandro Scarlatti. I also hate Baroque, so you could probably throw in the majority of those composers onto my avoid list as well. Apart from Handel, and his Water music. But if I were in the industry I'd never state any of that as a way of promoting my own work.

Agreed. Most unclassy.

I wish I had the necessary evidence to start a thread called "The Dalai Lama Hates John Williams" just to see how people would go about tearing him down.

Hungry for some panem and circenses today aren't you?

I can't say anything about Eno when I have nothing to say as I don't know his work or either hate it or like it. Perhaps I will take a short course in Eno through the Youtube clips posted in this thread.