The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Spider-Man 3 kind of fucked him up. That film had so many elements that, fleshed out individually would've made the film less bloated and more cohesive. There were too many storylines competing for attention and not enough focus on a good solid plot/arc.

Spider-Man 3 had FIVE bloody plotlines:

-Venom/Black Suit Spider-Man

-Mary Jane and Peter's strained relationship

-Sandman's intertwined story with the death of Ben.

-Gwen Stacey and Peter

-The New Goblin/ Harry vs. Peter.

Jesus Christ!

I liked the film, and still like some of it, I just think the Harry/Peter story should've been the focus. More exploration of Harry's psyche and transformation into the Goblin. Maybe have the Venom storyline too and make the film about two characters who've taken these very wrong turns in life. The resolution is a confrontation (Final Confrontation ;) ) between Harry and Peter and MJ is what comes between them to diffuse the situation, but it goes wrong ala Arianna Dumbledore... She dies and the two broken characters don their suits one last time to stop Venom. Not too dissimilar to the film's sloppy finale.

I think every plot line had its merits, there was just too much for one movie. I think New Goblin deserved his own movie and so did the Black Suit/Venom thing, though you could just as easily have the black suit in one film and Venom in the next. Sandman would be nice to have, but at that point, we still hadn't seen Lizard, Electro or the Vulture yet.

And what about the Sinister Six?? Too much for one movie? Probably. But set it up like the Avengers and make the whole movie about them. I would have loved to see the Green Goblin and Doc Ock join the others for some really crazy action sequences. Yes it would be ridiculous, but Homecoming did alright with 4 comic book villains (Tinker, Vulture, Shocker, Scorpion).

Edit to add: That last parenthetical would make a decent alternate title to Homecoming. 

Mostly I'm sad that Spider-Man 3 ended Tobey Maguire's time as a movie star.  I get weird looks from people when I say it, but I've always really really enjoyed him as a performer.  I wish he worked more.

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

It is extremely difficult to say if this post even belongs in this thread. Think even the village elders wouldn't be able to tell. ;)

Karol

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, as far as I know, we don't have a "Sony/Marvel Shared-Cinematic-Universe-That-Isn't-Quite-Entirely-Shared-Though-Even-Kevin-Feige-Isn't-Sure-About-That" thread.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

It is so bizarre. :lol:

Karol

Um

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27210-venom-2018-sony-movie/

Well, from a storyline perspective, Fury has been off doing his own personal thing since Winter Soldier.  His tiny Avengers 2 role seemed shoehorned in, and only served as a deus ex machine deal towards the end.

From a business perspective, they probably only have him contracted for a specific number of films, and rather than using him in a small role (similar to his appearance in Avengers 2) among a cast of ninety superheroes more equipped to fight an intergalactic space warlord, and then renegotiating for big bucks, they're saving him for a bigger role (Captain Marvel).

Also, this interview apparently took place before July 7 (according to the AV Club link), and I believe production was ongoing.  So it's possible that they will use him and it will be a surprise thing like in Avengers 2.  Or, it's possible that they've signed him on for the already in-production Avengers 4.

27 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Vol. 3 Will Set Up Next 20 Years of Marvel; Next Awesome Mix Will Be All Yondu

Next 20 Years of Marvel

Next 20 Years of Marvel

Next 20 Years of Marvel

:microwave:

If it was 1 a year like Star Wars it'd be fine but the 27 Marvel movies a year for the next 20 years. It's just too much. I don't think anyone really cares about the 2 weeks after release either. 

On 17/08/2017 at 4:03 PM, crocodile said:

Nick Fury Begins: A Marvel Story?

Pulp-Fiction-Samuel-L-Jackson.jpg

But then... Nick Fury looked slightly different back in the 1990's...

7508333.3.jpg

Karol

I the love the tag "From One of the writers of Batman Begins"

Just got around to watching Guardians 2. Overall, I was not impressed. Th first half hour and the finale was fun, but everything in between was just ugh... I didn't give a shit about ay of the pirate stuff, or everyone telling everyone's big backstory. When I saw the 5th Avenger shot, I thought I was gonna just switch it off. The humor was probably the strongest part, but even that was ruined in some parts. I noticed that in a lot of places, it was just one joke drawn out over several minutes, and it became unfunny halfay through. THe movie was either too insecure about its humor, or way too proud of those jokes, so they wanted to milk them. I felt the same thing with PotC5's wedding scene. Also, a Youtube Poop scene? Really? We're trying THAT hard to be hip?

I was really surprised that the original Guardians theme was kept, and we got many nice variations throughout. Marvel doesn't really do that - in fact, I think the only kept the theme so they can market the Guardians Inferno with Hasselhoff (which, given that Meco's 15 minute Star Wars is one of my all time favourite musical compositions, I really enjoy).

I'm really glad we finally have a universe where a planet being the main character's father is just accepted. More of this kind of amusingly insane shit and less than 50 minutes of backstory moping, please!

On 17/08/2017 at 11:03 AM, crocodile said:

Nick Fury Begins: A Marvel Story?

Pulp-Fiction-Samuel-L-Jackson.jpg

But then... Nick Fury looked slightly different back in the 1990's...

7508333.3.jpg

Karol

Thats actually quite an enjoyable film. Ridiculous but campy fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to hearing Mothersbaugh's score. I'm hoping this film works out, but something tells me somewhere it will fall into the clutches of the MCU fatigue. 

• 1 month later...

The new BP trailer seems less interesting and more like your average Marvel flick.

The Thor movie looks more fun.

David Fincher is not a Marvel fan and praises Netflix!

“Look, there’s a very large talent pool of people who are- don’t feel there’s much for them in terms of sustenance working for Marvel. And I think that if we can make a playground for them that is thoughtful, adult, interesting, complex, challenging stories and figure out ways to pull them into it, there’s a chance at something that isn’t lassoed and hogtied by three acts. And there’s something else that doesn’t have to be 22-minute half hour or have a cliffhanger. I think it is an exciting time.” David Fincher

Thor: Ragnarok reviews are starting to come out.  Generally positive.

This is the only mention of Mothersbaugh's score I've found:

the score from Devo frontman Mark Mothersbaugh drenches everything in lush, prog-rock synthesizers

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/19/16501108/thor-ragnarok-movie-review-marvel-chris-hemsworth-taika-waititi

This is what I figured, I hope it's good.

Here's another:

The showpiece scrums here are as stylish as any in the Marvel canon, and come turbo-charged by Mark Mothersbaugh’s score of Megadrive-ish crunches and bleeps.  

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/thor-ragnarok-review-marvel-brings-thunder-beautifully-scuffed/

• 1 month later...