The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

I love a lot of Giacchino's work - I'd consider him among my top 5 working composers. I think his Doctor Strange is pretty good, but thought Spider-man was just passable.  Maybe I'll need to give it another thorough listen.

My thoughts when I first listened to the CD:

Homecoming is definitely worth listening to in full, but so is Doctor Strange in my opinion. The other all-round great score is Thor: Ragnarok and I could take or leave the rest as full scores.

Definitely give Homecoming another listen Troxy, if you like Giacchino's older works you should probably like this one, it's not radically different from his older action/adventure writing.

Doyle's score to the first Thor movie has some really great stuff in it that has kinda been forgotten. The rousing rendition of Thor's main theme that we get during the end credits is one of the best score moments we've gotten out of the MCU IMO.

Thor definitely has some of the best moments in the entire MCU music wise to date. Thor Kills The Destroyer is such a great track, and of course the quieter more dramatic moments are also nice. Plus Sons of Odin.

In terms of some of those scores I'd recommend listening to Farmhouse from AOU, and San Francisco 1987 from Ant-Man as well.

On 22/01/2018 at 3:43 PM, Jay said:

Homecoming's great!  Pieter, just listen to the whole thing!

Indeed I've been listening to that I've and it's really good fun.

Quite like it! :D

On 23/01/2018 at 3:28 AM, Fancyarcher said:

In terms of some of those scores I'd recommend listening to Farmhouse from AOU, and San Francisco 1987 from Ant-Man as well.

AOU...? :unsure:

On 1/22/2018 at 8:57 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

Doyle's score to the first Thor movie has some really great stuff in it that has kinda been forgotten. The rousing rendition of Thor's main theme that we get during the end credits is one of the best score moments we've gotten out of the MCU IMO.

Absolutely.  Along with Silverstri's theme, pretty much the only good stuff in the Marvelverse.

I also liked the first film. Wasn't as impressed by it first time around but soon realised this is one of the more enjoyable Marvel films (despite tired premise). It had one of the more memorable Marvel scores as well.

Karol

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I remember quite liking that film, and the fact that it was fairly small and stand-alone.

Can't recall what it was about for the life of me though.

It was about building the suit.

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to the Black Panther, very fresh and unique, lots of African drums and chanting. It’s nice that Marvel are allowing scores like this for their film, and haven’t completely embraced the RCP sound.

So with 241 reviews it holds the score of 98% on RT. The critical consensus reads: "Black Panther elevates superhero cinema to thrilling new heights while telling one of the MCU's most absorbing stories -- and introducing some of its most fully realized characters."

I would absolutely love to see that film. Is it showing anywhere already? I must have walked into the showing of a wrong Black Panther movie earlier this week.

Karol

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So with 241 reviews it holds the score of 98% on RT. The critical consensus reads: "Black Panther elevates superhero cinema to thrilling new heights while telling one of the MCU's most absorbing stories -- and introducing some of its most fully realized characters."

I would absolutely love to see that film. Is it showing anywhere already? I must have walked into the showing of a wrong Black Panther movie earlier this week.

Karol

All a Marvel films needs to be is watchable for it to garner that kind of RT praise.

Of course, it also doesn't help that anybody who dares raise the slightest dissent will be branded a racist.

A 98% aggregate review score doesn't mean that it's an almost-perfect movie.  It means that 98% of reviewers felt better-than-lukewarm on it.  Plenty of the "fresh" reviews are not raves.  It's a good sign that this will be a crowd-pleaser, though.

Right. Though these RT ratings do encourage Marvel fanboys to continue lauding these films as "cinematic masterpieces".

It is crazy how much of an event movie this is turning out to be, at least within my generation. Seeing it with some friends tonight. Hoping it will be somewhat different from the usual Marvel fare.

The first entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to feature a black superhero feels more like the first black Bond film. - Matthew Lickona

Funny, that's the very first thing I've said when the teaser came out.

Wait, I've read too fast. I said it felt like it's the Live and Let Die of Marvel movies. Close though ...

I do like Marvel films overall. They tend to be a reliable entertainment. But in the past year, I had major issues with 3 out of 4 releases. Think I'm getting old.

Karol