The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

It hasn't been announced at this time, but as a Fox production on a Fox network, there shouldn't be any major barriers in putting it there - beyond honoring or buying out preexisting streaming deals

Yeah, I imagine a lot will be added over time.  The Simpsons will be there at launch.  I just hope they don't take stuff down over time too.  Unlike Netflix, presumably Disney will own all the shows/movies on the service so there won't be a valid excuse for removing anything.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, I imagine a lot will be added over time.  The Simpsons will be there at launch.  I just hope they don't take stuff down over time too.  Unlike Netflix, presumably Disney will own all the shows/movies on the service so there won't be a valid excuse for removing anything.

I had assumed they'd roll their features in and out as a kind of digital "Disney vault."  I don't think that's an awful idea, because having a focused collection would probably encourage people to take more of an interest in B- or C-tier movies.  If there are 30 Pixar movies and 100 Disney animated classics, what are the chances you're going to pop in Pollyanna?  Whereas, if they have a rolling variety of movies that appear and reappear, well there are two animated movies and two live action movies from each decade, why not give something new a try?

As the parent of a kid, I get having everything there and kind of appreciate it, because it's good to just always have Frozen or Moana (I own both on disc, but you get what I mean).  But as somebody who oftentimes has difficulty picking something to watch from Netflix just because there's so MUCH choice, I always dream of a more curated experience.  Netflix doesn't really have the capability to do that, but since Disney just always has a library, it would be pretty cool.

I think the new Criterion streaming service is doing something like that.

But somebody said that "the Disney vault is no more," so I guess it'll just be a free for all. 

Personally I cannot wait to get Disney+ in November!  $6.99 per month or $69.99 for the year and ad-free?  No-brainer.  Also there's a possibility of a bundled package for Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu which I would definitely consider.

• Two live-action Star Wars series, plus the biggest one for me is the return of the Clone Wars animated series!
  • Four MCU series for secondary characters, giving them more depth / back-story etc...  Maybe some cameos by other characters?
  • All the SW movies available at launch.
  • All 30 seasons of Simpsons at launch.
  • National Geographic content as well.

I'll be interested to see what they will have for documentaries / features / extras that you would find on DVD/BD.  I'm a sucker for those.

Will DIsney+ stream the Michael Jackson episode of The Simpsons that Groening & co pulled from syndication?

59 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I had assumed they'd roll their features in and out as a kind of digital "Disney vault."  I don't think that's an awful idea, because having a focused collection would probably encourage people to take more of an interest in B- or C-tier movies.  If there are 30 Pixar movies and 100 Disney animated classics, what are the chances you're going to pop in Pollyanna?  Whereas, if they have a rolling variety of movies that appear and reappear, well there are two animated movies and two live action movies from each decade, why not give something new a try?

As the parent of a kid, I get having everything there and kind of appreciate it, because it's good to just always have Frozen or Moana (I own both on disc, but you get what I mean).  But as somebody who oftentimes has difficulty picking something to watch from Netflix just because there's so MUCH choice, I always dream of a more curated experience.  Netflix doesn't really have the capability to do that, but since Disney just always has a library, it would be pretty cool.

I think the new Criterion streaming service is doing something like that.

But somebody said that "the Disney vault is no more," so I guess it'll just be a free for all. 

As long as I have access to the Disney live action films of the 50s and 60s.  I wanna watch 20,000 Leagues, Treasure Island, Johnny Tremain, The Three Lives of Thomasina, or The Parent Trap whenever I want.  I have a weird affection for that era.

We should probably have a new thread for Disney+

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Will DIsney+ stream the Michael Jackson episode of The Simpsons that Groening & co pulled from syndication?

Better question: will Disney+ stream Song of the South? 

Will they stream George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola’s Captain EO, starring Michael Jackson and scored by James Horner?

They should care as this has a chance to be the first 3 billion dollar movie.

The thing I love about Infinity Wars is it has a similar beat to TESB. I do hope that does not means A:E is similar to ROTJ.

No posts are deleted on JWFan. It was merged into the MCU thread, you started it like a month before the film was out!

The moderators will handle the spoiler-thread creation duties

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

No posts are deleted on JWFan. It was merged into the MCU thread, you started it like a month before the film was out!

But why merge it? Why not keep it open? Seems like a pointless move just to delete it and make a new thread a month later. 

I can break the posts back out if you want.  Didn't realize it was so important to you

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Welp, guess I can't use the "All Activity" feed for a few days.

If you instead use this feed and click "Condensed" instead of "Expanded", you'll be give a list of which threads have Unread (by you) posts in them, without showing you the content of said posts.  Clicking on the thread title in that few brings you directly to the first unread post you have in that thread.

Oh, I just realized All Activity also has the Condensed/Expanded options.

Mini poll of 4 yes or no questions.

Q1: Will Endgame break the 300 million dollar mark domestically?

Q2: Will Endgame break the 1 billion mark in week one internationally?

Q3: Will Endgame break Avatar's total grosses and still fall below 3 Billion dollars?

Q4: Will Endgame break 3 billion dollars.

Throw away question will Alex see Endgame in a theatre?

Does Endgame contain the final filmed cameo by Stan Lee or are there more in the can still?

22 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Q3: Will Endgame break Avatar's total grosses and still fall below 3 Billion dollars?

It will go above 300 domestic debut. It will debut above a billion worldwide. It will beat Avatar if China has legs. 2.8 billion, but 2.5 if I'm being less optimistic. 

On 4/25/2019 at 10:58 PM, JoeinAR said:

Me or the 'other' Alex?

I certainly won't see it in the theatre but my kid did, and he only was able to get tickets for night showings, everything else was sold out.

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Me or the 'other' Alex?

I certainly won't see it in the theatre but my kid did, and he only was able to get tickets for night showings, everything else was sold out.

You are the only Alex I know here.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:58 PM, JoeinAR said:

Friday’s Domestic take was $157.00 million. There are now projections it could hit $340 million US for the weekend. China is already at $217 million.

I was about to stop at 2 this time but I'm going away to Manchester for a weekend next week and there's an IMAX screen there and not far from my hotel. I know it's not an actual IMAX film (as in not done on 70mm cameras and stuff) but I've never seen a digitial IMAX film before and this seems like a perfect opportunity. That way I will have seen all four Avengers films three times each on big screen.

Well, the first one I have seen 4 times, technically speaking, but that is because one screening was a part of the Age of Ultron premiere night. But that doesn't count.

Karol

13 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

How can one watch a movie more than once at the cinema?

If I want to make a review that's in any way comprehensive or insightful, I'll watch the film twice.

Its especially true of this film which, after first watching its climax, had me: "What the hell just happened?!"

If you like the movie then it shouldn’t be a problem.

And I’m not talking about going everyday. I’ve gone back to back days before, but I don’t see the issue going 3 or 4 times during a films run if you really like.

To me it’s no different than owning a film on DVD.

I have got a limitless membership card so can watch as many films as I like. I already crossed the equivalent of my annual membership's value. At this stage I'm just watching things for free essentially.

Karol

19 hours ago, Fabulin said:

How can one watch a movie more than once at the cinema?

I can understand the 1970s/1980s, when there would be no other options for years after the release of something very good. In fact my father watched each of the OT movies 10 times. But 2019 AD?

What? WHAT?

How can you not? I know I know millennials gen x and gen z don't appreciate the cinematic experience but jezzus no one here can replicate the big screen experience no matter how pathetically agoraphobic they are.

13 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

What? WHAT?

How can you not? I know I know millennials gen x and gen z don't appreciate the cinematic experience but jezzus no one here can replicate the big screen experience no matter how pathetically agoraphobic they are.

Can you please stop your ridiculous assault against whole generations of people?

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Can you please stop your ridiculous assault against whole generations of people?

Nope. I have been call old more times than I have attacked the young. I am just bringing balance