The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Although, the title is a little ambiguous and it probably deserves to be in this thread anyway.

The comment is about Marvel movies, so I would think so, yes.

I read the title (Gimli Voice) but never opened it. I have Quintus on 'invisible'.

52 minutes ago, Gistech said:

I'll tell you what it was trying to say.

"Empty your wallets into ours for the next 10 years, please."

You need a way to keep more money in your wallet. 

If there's a thematic through-line that you could look for in these films as a whole, perhaps it would be about teamwork, a bunch of individuals who are strong on their own, yet discover that they need each other, and have to overcome the challenges of making that work. In fact, they sometimes struggle more to see eye to eye with each other than to clobber the bad guys. Cap and Iron Man disagreeing on how to best defend the world was handled pretty deftly in Avengers 1, and with less nuance later (airport fight), for example.

SCOOP – 10/9/19: Disney wants to buy Spider-Man.

While rumors have circulated before the Sony-Disney dispute of such a purchase, it was mere speculation, especially the erroneous high number that was quoted. What I’m hearing is that Disney is looking to offer in the range of $4 to $5 billion for Spider-Man. But now the questions will be asked.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/363417891260481/

It's not just one character, it's all the supporting characters that come with him. 

While they are all Marvel Comics characters, the MCU cannot presently show Wolverine saving Aunt May from the clutches of Green Goblin. 

Spider-Man is the only character worth purchasing and if it means they have to give him a whole new backstory and new villains then I say do it! Stop dredging up old stuff and at least make something new for Christ's sake. Why not? 

6 hours ago, woj said:

It's not just one character, it's all the supporting characters that come with him. 

While they are all Marvel Comics characters, the MCU cannot presently show Wolverine saving Aunt May from the clutches of Green Goblin. 

Does Sony refuse to let Marvel use characters like Doc Oc or Green Goblin? Even the MCU's MJ is really a completely different character than Mary Jane Watson.

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Does Sony refuse to let Marvel use characters like Doc Oc or Green Goblin? Even the MCU's MJ is really a completely different character than Mary Jane Watson.

Now it's Surgeon Squid and Orange Orc. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Proof it!

proof

verb
proofed; proofing; proofs

Definition of proof (Entry 3 of 3)

transitive verb

1a: to make or take a proof or test of
b: PROOFREAD
2: to give a resistant quality to
3: to activate (yeast) by mixing with water and sometimes sugar or milk

Marvel’s Next ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Epic Might Not Happen for Another Decade
Marvel producer Trinh Tran teases that fans shouldn't expect the next "Avengers" movie to happen in the near future.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/marvel-avengers-epic-not-happening-10-years-1202185545/

On 10/29/2019 at 4:53 AM, Edmilson said:

Marvel’s Next ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Epic Might Not Happen for Another Decade
Marvel producer Trinh Tran teases that fans shouldn't expect the next "Avengers" movie to happen in the near future.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/marvel-avengers-epic-not-happening-10-years-1202185545/

Yeah, I doubt they could pull off something like Endgame right off the bat. However, it means these next few films have to establish something special in order for a payoff ten years down the road.

Quite frankly, I can't imagine what that'll look like and I think Superhero films won't be as digestible as they are now. We can only hope these types of films will evolve in a decade.

Q: Who is the best Bruce Banner?

Edward Norton: "It's funny Mark Ruffalo is one of my old friends from New York theater and coming up together. The Hulk is like Hamlet, lots of people have done it. And for us, it's Bill Bixby (who played Bruce Banner in the 1978 television series), that's just it it. Bill Bixby will always be the best Banner." 

294000__10699.1364207701.380.500.jpg

I like Scorsese's movies, I like Scorsese, and certainly he's entitled to his opinion, but this whole news cycle is dumb, and the fact that he just extended it is dumb, and it gets all the worst kinds of people all riled up which is dumbest of all.

It's ridiculous how obtuse the media and people are being about Scorsese's comments. He's obviously pointing at a genuine industry problem, where one mass conglomeration has developed a manufacturing process that no longer allows for other creative voices in the cinema. It is pretty much a fact that the combined rise of Marvel and Netflix have effectively eliminated the "middle-class" film from theatres. So as a filmmaker, you either create big-budget CG superhero flicks that fit in Marvel's iron-cast success template, or you make a small-budget indie dramas that no one but Academy voters will be watching.

Scorsese could prob give two shits about arguing the supposed "merit" of Marvel flicks. He just doesn't want to live in a world where that's all that's available. And frankly, neither do I.

It's a very valid discussion to have. And it's telling about the state of the industry when it's Scorsese being ridiculed at the end of the day.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Sweet Jesus, are we still talking about it? 😂

Karol

Hollywood gets bored so easily...

13 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I like Scorsese's movies, I like Scorsese, and certainly he's entitled to his opinion, but this whole news cycle is dumb, and the fact that he just extended it is dumb, and it gets all the worst kinds of people all riled up which is dumbest of all.

This is the opinion of someone who is on social media!  I don't have to see the "worst kinds of people"

22 minutes ago, KK said:

It's ridiculous how obtuse the media and people are being about Scorsese's comments. He's obviously pointing at a genuine industry problem, where one mass conglomeration has developed a manufacturing process that no longer allows for other creative voices in the cinema. It is pretty much a fact that the combined rise of Marvel and Netflix have effectively eliminated the "middle-class" film from theatres. So as a filmmaker, you either create a big-budget CG superhero flicks that fit in Marvel's iron-cast success template, or you make a small-budget indie drama that no one but Academy voters will be watching.

Scorsese could prob give two shits about the supposed "merit" of Marvel flicks. He just doesn't want to live in a world where that's all that's available. And frankly, neither do I.

It's a very valid discussion to have. And it's telling about the state of the industry when it's Scorsese being ridiculed at the end of the day.

Spot on. Could not have said it any better

The op-ed reminded me that Scorsese is a big fan of Wes Anderson.  I remember he named Bottle Rocket one of his 10 favorite films of the 90s.  It's how me and Marty became best friends and hang out on weekends to talk about how great Moonrise Kingdom is.

26 minutes ago, KK said:

It's ridiculous how obtuse the media and people are being about Scorsese's comments. He's obviously pointing at a genuine industry problem, where one mass conglomeration has developed a manufacturing process that no longer allows for other creative voices in the cinema. It is pretty much a fact that the combined rise of Marvel and Netflix have effectively eliminated the "middle-class" film from theatres. So as a filmmaker, you either create a big-budget CG superhero flicks that fit in Marvel's iron-cast success template, or you make a small-budget indie drama that no one but Academy voters will be watching.

Scorsese could prob give two shits about the supposed "merit" of Marvel flicks. He just doesn't want to live in a world where that's all that's available. And frankly, neither do I.

Excellent post.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

The op-ed reminded me that Scorsese is a big fan of Wes Anderson.  I remember he named Bottle Rocket one of his 10 favorite films of the 90s.  It's how me and Marty became best friends and hang out on weekends to talk about how great Moonrise Kingdom is.

we don’t hang out!

43 minutes ago, KK said:

you either create a big-budget CG superhero flicks that fit in Marvel's iron-cast success template, or you make a small-budget indie drama that no one but Academy voters will be watching.

That's an issue that doesn't rest specifically on the shoulders of the MCU, though. Its an issue that can, in some part, be levied against any form of big-budget spectacle franchise, and since I like quite a few of those I can't truly, whole-heartedly agree, no matter how much I rever Scorcese and the rest of the old guard that spoke against the MCU.

I only agree with Scorcese's criticisms insofar as the MCU is concerned, specifically. I think both its narrative, its aesthetic and its brand of humour have more than run their course.

At the end of the day, all these questions ought to be subservient to the question of what one likes to watch or doesn't, and why.

To pivot, and to keep the Bad Mstrox Opinions Train rolling, I really love Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic, and Darjeeling Limited but didn't care much for Fantastic Mr. Fox or Moonrise Kingdom!  I know people really liked the latter, but it didn't do much for me.  The rest, I have yet to see.