The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That's your choice Mr. Grumpy McGrumperson O'Grumperson!

no it isn’t! 

we live too far apart! Otherwise I’d definitely call over to play Skyrim in your Switch and eat your food. 

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

To pivot, and to keep the Bad Mstrox Opinions Train rolling, I really love Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic, and Darjeeling Limited but didn't care much for Fantastic Mr. Fox or Moonrise Kingdom!  I know people really liked the latter, but it didn't do much for me.  The rest, I have yet to see.

I'm attempting to ascend to the maturity level of "people not having my exact opinions on irrelevant pop culture stuff is not a personal indictment of either me or them" so I forgive and love you Mrs. Trox.  Namaste.

namaste GIF by Red Fang

I'm pretty likely to revisit it - I don't tend to rewatch much any more, but if there are movies that are very well regarded that don't work for me, I do try to give them another chance down the line.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - I hated Rocky Horror Picture Show in high school, and it didn't improve much for me 15 years later when I rewatched it last year.  But I think it's valuable to try.

Study Finds That Most People Choose To Watch Marvel Movies In Theaters And DC Films Later On At Home

According to a new survey, the majority of people are more likely to watch Marvel movies in theaters, while a considerably smaller percentage will do the same with DC Comics adaptations. Check it out...

Fascinatingly, a new study from Flixed reveals that the public is more likely to wait to watch DC Films at home than Marvel movies. It's no secret that Marvel Studios has sound considerably more success with the Marvel Cinematic Universe than Warner Bros.' DC Extended Universe, but this is still surprising given the popularity of the superhero movie genre. 

The study delved into the public's streaming practices and how it impacts the way they consume media. It's said that 73% of the sample size are willing to wait to watch DC movies on their preferred streaming services rather than going to see them in theaters when they're released. 

Marvel and Star Wars movies, however, are something 66% of people do decide to go and check out on the big screen, a sign, perhaps, that they're considered more must-see viewing. It was bad news for Warner Bros. all round, though, because 75% of people said that they're more likely to view future instalments of the Fantastic Beasts franchise at home rather than in theaters. 

There's no denying that streaming services have had a huge affect on the way people watch their favourite movies, and that's why services like Disney+ and HBO Max are now looking to change things with big budget shows like Green Lantern and The Falcon and The Winter Soldier. 

What are your thoughts on these survey results?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/marvel_studios/study-finds-that-most-people-choose-to-watch-marvel-movies-in-theaters-and-dc-films-later-on-at-home-a171511?

It rings true for me, but only inasmuch as if a movie is critically drubbed, we're much more likely to wait for a Redbox rental or streaming.  Two movie tickets is expensive, even if you don't factor in snacks, gas, etc., so we get picky about it.  So we've seen most if not all MCU movies in theaters, saved the most recent two X-men movies for home, and while we saw all the Nolan Batmans in theaters, we've been about 50/50 or less on DC since, only seeing Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, and Wonder Woman on the big screen.

Concept arts for the upcoming MCU Disney+ shows:

Mvhg6lgz o

Lext0ywt o

Y01tk9l7 o

Ntlpkkb1 o

Kekgb19a o

Awupuxrg o

Tk3buawx o

Cv4hnut4 o

Also, a few details about the shows were revealed on the D+ doc Expanding the Universe:

About Loki:

Surprisingly, the sneak peek doesn't reveal any concept art from Loki but we do get a better idea of what to expect from the Disney+ series, including confirmation that the God of Mischief will travel through time and that we'll follow the version of the character from Avengers: Endgame.

"There's a huge time-travel component," producer Stephen Broussard reveals. "There will be a man on the run quality to it and we get the chance to explore more human sides of Loki."

"We're finally going to see him on his backfoot," adds producer Kevin Wright. "This is him being put in a position where he doesn't have all the answers and where he's been thrown a curveball by life." The question on the lips of most fans, of course, is whether he'll return to the main timeline!

The Falcon And The Winter Soldier

"We don't want it to be all action all the time," showrunner Malcolm Spellman says in regards to what we can expect from Marvel's first TV series on Disney+. "We need to go home with these characters and we need to spend time really unearthing who they are and since we've got great actors, put them in situations where they get to really show what they can do."

Adds Zoie Nagelhout, "We can create the same exciting, high end action sequences but then inbetween those set pieces we get to dive deeper into the character beats. It's the best of both worlds." In other words, we're going to really delve into what makes both Bucky and Sam Wilson tick and that's no bad thing, especially now they're going from supporting players to leads.

WandaVision

Despite the fact shooting has already started, there's no new concept art for WandaVision included in this sneak peek. However, producer Mary Livanos does drop one very interest titbit.

"So much of the fun of watching this show for fans will be the unexpected discovery of where and when in the MCU this series takes place," she teases, "and how it all fits into that larger picture."

When and where? Could that teased 50s sitcom setting be more literal than we thought?

Hawkeye

Hawkeye is another TV show that's still some way off and the concept art from the show featuring Kate Bishop obviously isn't based on any one actress in particular (Hailee Steinfeld remains the only star Marvel Studios have approached). However, producer Trinh Tran has now revealed that the focus of the series will indeed be Clint Barton passing on the mantle of Hawkeye.

"She's a new, young mentee he can train to eventually take over the mantle as Hawkeye one day," she reveals when asked about Kate Bishop's role in proceedings. With that in mind, it sounds like Jeremy Renner's time as Hawkeye is nearing its end and this show will likely serve as his final adventure.

What If?

Not a huge amount of a new details were revealed about What If? but plenty of footage from the series was revealed. However, producer Brad Winderbaum did point out that, "We're going to explore corners of the universe that might be untouched which is really exciting."

With any luck, that means we'll get to explore corners of the MCU we've never visited before, something which was seemingly evident from the appearance of a zombie version of Captain America! After all, the Marvel Zombies concept is one this series could have great fun with!

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/marvel_studios/expanding-the-universe-everything-we-learned-from-marvels-disney-sneak-peek-a171590

All these shows, it's mind-boggling. I love how Disney said they're slowing down with the Star Wars releases, but can't wait to see if one of these shows sticks the landing.

tenor (1).gif

Of all of these shows, I'm most intrigued with WandaVision, seems to be the most "different" of all of the announced series. The others are so far looking to be very expensive versions of those Marvel Netflix shows.

Disney just announced their MCU plans through 2023

For the MCU in 2020, we'll be getting Black Widow on May 1 and The Eternals on Nov. 6.

In 2021, Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will be released on Feb. 12, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness on May 7, Spider-Man 3 on July 16 and Thor: Love and Thunder on Nov. 5.

Four Marvel movies are then slated for 2022 -- Black Panther 2 on May 6, and three untitled movies on Feb. 18, July 29 and Oct. 7.

In 2023, there'll be another four Marvel movies set to release on Feb. 17, May 5, July 28 and Nov. 3.

The untitled Marvel movies for 2022 and 2023 could include Ant-Man 3, Blade, Captain Marvel 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy 3. There's also speculation of A-Force -- an all-female Avengers-style team from the comic books -- Champions, which could feature a younger Avengers team including Ms Marvel and Miles Morales from Into the Spider-Verse and Deadpool 3.

For the new Disney Plus streaming service, which launched this week, original MCU content will also include:

The Falcon and Winter Soldier in fall 2020
WandaVision in spring 2021
Loki in spring 2021
Marvel's What If...? in summer 2021
Hawkeye in fall 2021

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-announces-four-marvel-movies-for-2023/

Actress Florence Pugh from Midsommar about the upcoming Black Widow movie:

“I think we’ve made something very raw and very painful and very beautiful and I think people are going to be really surprised by the outcome of a big action film having that much heart. And I know lots of people will be emotional about her because her character had such a hard ending [in “Infinity War”], but it was special learning from her, and she’s been doing this for like 10 years in those films. For this to be her film was special. And I got to be there and see how she does stunts and lives it, and it’s so her.”

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/black_widow/black-widow-actress-florence-pugh-on-raw-and-painful-marvel-film-that-kicks-off-phase-4-a171685

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus Christ, this is terrifying.

Also:

Karen Gillan praises James Gunn's 'wonderful' Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 script (exclusive)

Karen Gillan has read James Gunn’s “wonderful” script for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and said it “wouldn’t have felt right” to complete the trilogy without him.

Gunn, who directed the first two Guardians movies, was reinstated to the Marvel fold earlier this year after previously being fired by Disney when controversial tweets from his past resurfaced.

Gillan, who plays Nebula, was among the cast members who signed an open letter calling for Gunn to get his job back.

In an interview to promote her directorial debut The Party’s Just Beginning, the 32-year-old told Yahoo Movies UK she is excited to get started on the threequel.

“I can say that I’ve read it and it’s amazing,” she said.

“We’re all really excited that James is back to complete the trilogy because it wouldn’t have felt right without him. It’s a wonderful, wonderful script.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/karen-gillan-james-gunn-guardians-3-121016463.html

Well, there's only three completed MCU trilogies so far, considering The Avengers as a quadrilogy. So:

• The Iron Man trilogy is okay, I like the first one, dislike the second and find the third one mildly amusing and fun to watch.
  • The Captain America trilogy is pretty good: The First Avenger is decent, The Winter Soldier remains as one of my favorite MCU movies and Civil War is good, although slightly overrated because of that airpoirt scene.
  • The Thor trilogy is not that good: Thor is forgettable, The Dark World is one of the worst MCU flicks and only Ragnarok is good, although still overrated by the fanboys.

Let's see how the Guardians trilogy and the Tom Holland Spidey trilogy will compare agains these ones when their third movies get released.

18 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Teaser Trailer for Black Widow:

On 6/30/2018 at 9:50 PM, Holko said:

Oi, that's bloody Budapest!

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Looks like trash - with bad Russian accents.

Are they really that bad?

It has Rachel Weisz and Florence Pugh so I'm sold.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Why the hell do they have slavic accents?

Natasha is Russian?

Karol