The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

And here we go again...

‘The Eternals’ Actor Says Crew Cried on Set While Filming MCU’s First Gay Kiss

Actors Brian Tyree Henry and Haaz Sleiman are starring as an openly gay married couple in Marvel's fall tentpole.

Marvel Studios has made no secret that its upcoming fall tentpole “The Eternals” will feature its first openly gay superhero. In a new interview with Logo, “Eternals” actor Haaz Sleiman reveals his character is one half of the gay couple that appears in the movie. Sleiman says his character is “married to the gay superhero Phastos, played by ‘Atlanta’s’ Brian Tyree Henry, and we represent a gay family and have a child.” Marvel’s parent company Disney has promised significant gay moments in past tentpoles only for them to not be too explicit (who can forget the live-action “Beauty and the Beast” remake?), but Sleiman promises significant gay representation in “The Eternals.” The actor says the Chloe Zhao-directed superhero film will show Marvel’s first gay kiss.

“It’s a beautiful, very moving kiss,” Sleiman says. “Everyone cried on set. For me it’s very important to show how loving and beautiful a queer family can be. Brian Tyree Henry is such a tremendous actor and brought so much beauty into this part, and at one point I saw a child in his eyes, and I think it’s important for the world to be reminded that we in the queer community we’re all children at one point. We forget that because we’re always depicted as sexual or rebellious. We forget to connect on that human part.”

The last Marvel release, “Avengers: Endgame,” faced backlash after the Russo brothers announced the movie would feature the MCU’s first openly gay character. That character ended up being played by Joe Russo and appeared in less than one minute of the movie. Fans criticized the directors for touting representation in the MCU when in reality the character was nameless and insignificant to the film’s plot. A similar backlash met “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” for its extremely brief same-sex kiss near the end of the film, after J.J. Abrams had touted “LGBT representation” in the film. It appears such criticisms won’t be lobbied at “The Eternals” as Brian Tyree Henry’s openly gay character Pastos is one of the main roles. The cast also includes Gemma Chan, Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, and Salma Hayek.

The MCU’s gay future might also include Tessa Thompson’s Valkyrie. The character made her franchise debut in “Thor: Ragnarok,” and the actress revealed after the film opened that her character is bisexual. When asked this week by Variety if Valkyrie will be “explicitly queer” in the next “Thor” movie (“Thor: Love and Thunder”), writer-director Taika Waititi said he’s open to the idea.

“I think so,” Waititi responded. “The IP is not mine. But with the actors, I feel whatever makes them comfortable — whether they feel like there’s a natural choice, or a natural way for that character to go — then I’m pretty supportive. If Tessa wanted to do that, I’m in.”

Disney is releasing “The Eternals” in theaters nationwide November 6.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/02/eternals-gay-kiss-scene-mcu-1202211307/

"The MCU's gay future" 

A sentence written unironically. 

Parents will be thrilled I'm sure. The only question remaining is who will get blamed when it bombs at the box office. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'll reserve judgement until after I go see it.  I definitely want to go see it though.  I agree, they should have made this about 5-7 years ago.

Geez... :( 

Marvel’s SHANG-CHI To Take A Coronavirus Production Break

Director Destin Daniel Cretton goes into self-quarantine.

As you can see from the many films that have postponed their releases, 2020 is going to be a strange time at the theater. Well, it's going to be a strange time everywhere. But the pop culture effects of the Coronavirus will be felt for quite some time, as it affects films currently in production as well as films being released.

For instance, Marvel’s Shang-Chi. According to Variety, the film will take a production break as its director Destin Daniel Cretton goes into self-quarantine at the request of his doctor. Cretton was tested for COVID-19 and is now waiting for the result. He showed no symptoms and, as a new father, got tested as a precautionary measure.

Second unit production will continue on the film, which has been shooting since February for a February 2021 release. Maybe this break will be minor. Maybe it won’t affect that release date. It’s hard to say, but similar production halts throughout Hollywood seem likely going forward, which will greatly affect 2021 as well as 2020.

As always, please stay safe out there.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2020/03/13/marvels-shang-chi-to-take-a-coronavirus-production-break

Filming on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier in Prague has also halted due to coronavirus.

I hope Desplat still scores it! Seems to me all these delayed film releases could lead to changes in which composers are still available and able to stay committed to their projects, since their work is done later in the process.

Would be cool if Desplat took the time to write a Black Widow suite for the CD or something. But the way that guy works, he probably won't have any free time even WITH the current situation.

Shouldn't the score already have been recorded by now? Also, why can't they just put it on streaming sites? Because this entire global standstill isn't depressing enough as it is?

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Shouldn't the score already have been recorded by now? Also, why can't they just put it on streaming sites? Because this entire global standstill isn't depressing enough as it is?

To avoid spoilers, I suppose?

If the music spoils the story...

It's good music!

But it still leaves open a lot of room for interpretation.

Would be fun actually to try to reconstruct the story from the music alone.

I once imagined what the movie looked like to the first half of the Stargate album.

Difference with the actual film: ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE!!!

46 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I was referring to the movie as a whole, but yes, that would certainly be interesting.

Movie on streaming sites? And miss that cinema income?

It would be mighty nice of them. But unlikely...

Also, it does take something away from the experience; doesn't it?

14 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, but it would make this entire corona drama more bearable.

True.

But also:

On 3/17/2020 at 7:12 PM, Pieter Boelen said:

(Wishful thinking on my part? You bet!)

More wishful thinking. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Disgusting.

Two of the biggest movies ever directed by women, and Disney is considering to release them for home entertainment, instead of at the theaters, where they were designed to be seen, simply because they can't wait to speculate the box office money on the stock exchange.

If they ever do that, I'll make sure to pirate both movies and watch them on my phone.

I wouldn't call it disgusting - it's a reality of the film business in a time when everybody will be hurting.

We almost paid $20 to rent Invisible Man the other night, but we spent $10 to own a different movie digitally and watched that instead.  Shrug.  We'd almost certainly do a 4K Black Widow rental.  Mulan looks too old for our kid, so we'd wait for that one.

Pirating doesn't prove anything, and doesn't make a point about anyone but you.  If your concern is about supporting movies directed by women, you'd buy the streaming rental or wait until this whole thing passes by and we see the inevitable big screen "re"releases.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Two of the biggest movies ever directed by women, and Disney is considering to release them for home entertainment, instead of at the theaters, where they were designed to be seen, simply because they can't wait to speculate the box office money on the stock exchange.

I very much respect your point there.

But I'm not sure what would be the wiser/more progressive option.

Interest for entertainment right now is sky high.

By the time this "debacle" is over, people will be much more interested to do things out in the real world again.

Plus, all that currently paused entertainment might end up being released shortly after each other because there's already more stuff lined up.

In such an environment, those movies might not get the attendion they deserve either.

Right now, they do have the opportunity to really stand out.

Draw attention to themselves and, by extension, to those movies.

They could even release bonus material driving the "female director" point home right along with the movie.

Otherwise many of the audience members might not even realise what a big deal this should be.

Would that be better?

I honestly don't know...

It's a screwed up situation, no matter which way I look at it.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I wouldn't call it disgusting - it's a reality of the film business in a time when everybody will be hurting.

We almost paid $20 to rent Invisible Man the other night, but we spent $10 to own a different movie digitally and watched that instead.  Shrug.  We'd almost certainly do a 4K Black Widow rental.  Mulan looks too old for our kid, so we'd wait for that one.

Pirating doesn't prove anything, and doesn't make a point about anyone but you.  If your concern is about supporting movies directed by women, you'd buy the streaming rental or wait until this whole thing passes by and we see the inevitable big screen "re"releases.

You're right. It's because I love going to the movies, buying popcorn, sitting in a dark room full of people and watching a great movie. Throughout all my life I've been loving to do just that.

And I just fear that, if Disney does just that with two of their biggest releases of the year, well, what will stop them to do with future movies, even in a normal situation? Theaters will close, people will just watch everything on their phones, big entertainment studios will continue to see cash flow, but no one is going to the movies ever again.

Theaters so far have been surviving the rise of Netflix and streaming mostly thanks do these Disney mega blockbusters, but if they go straight to streaming, movies from other studios will do that, and theatrical viewing will be no more.

And this is a terrifying future to me.

22 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

By the time this "debacle" is over, people will be much more interested to do things out in the real world again.

That's what I hope. When theaters get re opened, people will run to it, because they have missed this habit. 

I hope you're right, I really do.

And I hope, when it's safe to return to theaters again, people will return in full force to support them. 

I just don't want is that releasing a huge blockbuster like Black Widow straight to streaming doesn't become the norm after the pandemic is over.

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

That's what I hope. When theaters get re opened, people will run to it, because they have missed this habit. 

I was thinking more along the lines of "people going outside".

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I just don't want is that releasing a huge blockbuster like Black Widow straight to streaming doesn't become the norm after the pandemic is over.

Agreed.

There's something special about going to the movies in a large theatre.

That just cannot be replicated on the small screen.

I don't have any worries about that, personally.  To the extent that people still do go to the theater, they will continue to do so after this health crisis resolves or plateaus.

I'm more interested, at least in the US, to see if more businesses move to telework (or at least telework-capable).  It's cheaper than renting big buildings.  I can see that being a big change.

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

To the extent that people still do go to the theater, they will continue to do so after this health crisis resolves or plateaus.

No, they won't. It's not going to go that quickly, even Bill Gates has said so. Remember, the virus is here to stay and we will need to adapt to it.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

No, they won't. It's not going to go that quickly, even Bill Gates has said so. Remember, the virus is here to stay and we will need to adapt to it.

And if we have a vaccine within the next 12-24 months? That's not forever.

There's no knowing - viruses morph and change in ways that could make them less contagious, vaccines can be found, etc.  This is such a new thing that nobody really knows.  No studies have been done.

I didn't mean to swing this conversation to the doom and gloom thread I've been avoiding, so sorry everyone!

25 minutes ago, mstrox said:

There's no knowing - viruses morph and change in ways that could make them less contagious, vaccines can be found, etc.  This is such a new thing that nobody really knows.  No studies have been done.

Eventually, yes, but all that takes time, so I wonder what consequences that will have for theaters this year. Heck, no one is going to be making movies for quite some time. Actors are not going to take risks.

44 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Just make CGI actors.

Sounds absurd, doesn't it? But 'streaming only' and CGI actors will be a big part of future cinema. Imagine Johnny Weissmuller as Batman! Everything will be possible. The future looks bright!

Academy-Award nominated cinematographer Seamus McGarvey has been tapped to shoot the next Spider-Man film for Marvel

McGarvey previously worked on Josh Whedon’s Avengers, as well as Godzilla, Bad Times at the El Royale, Fifty Shades of Grey, The Accountant, and Nocturnal Animals, among others.

On 3/31/2020 at 12:33 PM, Alexcremers said:

Sounds absurd, doesn't it? But 'streaming only' and CGI actors will be a big part of future cinema. Imagine Johnny Weismuller as Batman! Everything will be possible. The future looks dystopian!

Fixed

BLACK WIDOW Star Scarlett Johansson Teases A "Tonal Shift" From What We're Used To Seeing In The MCU

We recently found out that Black Widow had been pushed back from its original release date due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, and while we have been assured that the Cate Shortland-directed film will hit theaters at some point, we haven't been given any indication of when that might be.

For now, marketing and promotion for the movie continues, and we have some new quotes from star Scarlett Johansson from her recent interview with Total Film.

We have previously heard that Black Widow will focus on the family dynamic between Natasha Romanoff and her former Red Room associates, but here the Academy Award-
nominated actress teases a shift in tone from the type of movies we're used to seeing in the MCU.

“I think part of Kevin Feige’s genius is that he always thinks about what fans expect out of these films and then gives them something that they never could’ve dreamed of,” says Johansson. “The idea of Natasha Romanoff in a family drama is the least expected thing, and I had to wrap my head around what that was going to be because there’s such a big tonal shift.”

The action-heavy trailers for the movie haven't really reflected this, but we look forward to discovering Black Widow's secrets when it does eventually find its way to the big screen.

Check out Total Film's newsstand cover below, and let us know when you think the film is likely to be released.

EUhIXbtX0AMbSE3.jpg

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/black_widow/black-widow-star-scarlett-johansson-teases-a-tonal-shift-from-what-were-used-to-seeing-in-the-mcu-a174259