The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

lol

This is actually comics Kang:

Kang by Steve McNiven | Kang the conqueror, Marvel kang, Marvel villains

He's a very powerful villain from the comics, so much so that I was thinking he'd be the antagonist for an Avengers movie.

But I guess they didn't want to repeat the "evil alien overlord as villain" trope again after Thanos.

Eh I dunno, I don't really think about these films much after I see them.  I remember Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2 being low points of the entire series, and those are Phase 2 I guess, but the funny ones (Guardians, Ant-man, Spider-man) are really good at least

Iron Man 3 was a bizarre follow-up to The Avengers. Pretty poor script in this one. Ben Kingsley pretending to be a Chinese terrorist only to end up being a hippie bro was so strange. Particularly since Guy Pierce was clearly the villain from his first appearance. The Mandarin character served no purpose. 

Both are towards the bottom but at least Thor 2 had Kat Dennings and some funny parts.  I remember Iron Man 3 being a slog

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Iron Man 3 was a bizarre follow-up to The Avengers. Pretty poor script in this one. Ben Kingsley pretending to be a Chinese terrorist only to end up being a hippie bro was so strange. Particularly since Guy Pierce was clearly the villain from his first appearance. The Mandarin character served no purpose. 

Subverting expectations before The Last Jedi  popularized the term!

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Eh I dunno, I don't really think about these films much after I see them, but the funny ones (Guardians, Ant-man, Spider-man) was really good at least

Guardians 1, right?

Guardians 2 was a disappointment (Over-the-top and humor felt forced, unnatural).

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Guardians 1, right?

Guardians 2 was a disappointment (Over-the-top and humor felt forced, unnatural).

I liked the second film, I thought Guardians could only get away with doing that, what with the chemistry between their characters.

Iron Man 3 was one of my favorites!  I’ve only seen these things once but really enjoyed it for reasons I don’t quite recall now.

In fact, Phase 1 is probably the weakest imo.  Lots of good stuff coming up for you.  Winter Soldier, Guardians, Ant Man, Avengers 3-4, Black Panther, Thor 3, 

I was most disappointed with that film visually. With all the care that went into the casting and general costume design, it ended up being just another blah CGI movie. 

But yes, Gorannsson's score is the only memorable one in the MCU. But that really isn't a very high bar to meet, is it?

Few quick thoughts:

The Dark World is the worst Marvel film. Actually no, The Incredible Hulk is. They're both quite boring. 

I always enjoyed Iron Man 3. It's just plain fun film. Never understood why people hated it so much.

Black Panther isn't terribly good, sadly. There are a lot of elements in it that I like but the story itself is lacking. And yes, it has probably the best score of the lot.

Phase 1 definitely isn't the best one.

Guardians 1 I enjoyed. Guardians 2 I did not (as much).

My favourite Marvel films? Probably the four directed by the Russo brothers.

Oddly, I'm quite satisfied after Endgame and there is no need to have more of those. I am, however, interested in WandaVision show. I thought the films didn't have enough those two.

As far as film art goes, there are no truly great Marvel movies. But the majority of them are damn fun which is perhaps the best thing for 2020.

Karol

The Amazing Spider-Man is not part of the MCU.

Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far from Home are the only Spidey movies set in the MCU.

(now I realize how confusing this may seem for people who don't follow Marvel regularly, lol)

54 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Are any of the Marvel shows on Netflix essential viewing?

Nope!

The Netflix shows refer to events from the movies from time to time (actually, I think they pretty much only ever talk about the alien invasion from Avengers 1), but the events of the shows themselves are never mentioned in any of the movies.  It's a one-way path, basically.

This is the same answer for the ABC shows (Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter) - the shows reference the movies, but the movies never reference the shows.  Case in point: In the movie world, Coulson is permanently dead after Loki kills him in Avengers 1, but in the show world, he's been resurrected or some shit

The ONLY exception to this is the same actor who first played Edwin Jarvis (Howard Stark's butler) in the Agent carter show shows up in Endgame playing Jarvis again.

The upcoming Disney+ shows will very likely be a different case: Kevin Fiege is in charge of them, so they will likely be as much of the MCU continuity as the movies are.

All that being said, I highly recommend Agent Carter, because it was a genuinely good show.  Since you liked Fringe, you'd probably like it.  No need to stop your movie progress to watch it all though; Just throw an episode on when you got 40 minutes to kill.  Nothing that happens in the show will ever be referenced by any of the movies.  It enriches the character of Peggy Carter though so you might appreciate her appearances in later MCU movies more if you watch it, perhaps.  Definitely nothing essential though.

Agents of SHIELD has its fans, but the general consensus seems to be its quality goes up and down a lot throughout its run, and there's a of treading water when they were waiting for movies to come out that would affect the plot of the show, but still had to conform to a network's September to May 22 episodes schedule.

The Netflix shows also vary in quality a lot and it would be a crying shame to halt your movie progress to watch... 161 hours of television that will mostly be disappointing.  They are also, overall, dark and disturbing type shows, not fun and quippy type shows.  Basically dark and R rated instead of the movie world's mostly sunny PG13 aesthetic.

I stopped watching Agents of SHIELD a few seasons in, but it did fill in a little bit of worldbuilding between Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Spoiler

(the collapse of SHIELD)

and the end of Age of Ultron

Spoiler

(why is Nick Fury popping up right now and why does he have all these giant SHIELD ships?!)

But again, not essential - and frankly it didn't help too much to make that Age of Ultron thing make a lick of sense.

2 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Oh no, BP is a classic worthy of Jaws and Raiders!

Don't have to be a classic to be good!

(And I can think of a couple curmudgeons on FSM, older folk, who would balk at the idea of Jaws, Raiders, Star Wars, etc. as classics)

That's proving my point - that's still a one way path.  None of those world building details are ever referenced in the movies.  It's just flavor for the shows.

I love the Ant-Man films. You just have to kind of ignore how ridiculously powerful Hank Pym’s technology is and how easily he could change the world if he wanted to.

As far as serialization go, I prefer watch a film series where all the entries follow one storyline from beginning to end (Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter/Star Wars) over the spider-web-like structure of the MCU.

@Koray SavasDaredevil (and Jessica Jones) were better stories than some of the last mcu films - better production value, more invested in telling character-driven stories due to the television format. I'd recommend watching them after you run the course of the films.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I think what Fiege pulled off in 23 films over 11 years is pretty damn impressive

It's less impressive when you think that it was a couple of films that took off, making the rest easier to make. The inconsistent quality, lack of style, hiccups in storytelling are all things that dampen that 'success'. For a while, they just felt like factory-line films, assembled in an 'MCU Movie Maker' program.

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Is there a diff between the Intrada and Disney releases of AVENGERS?.

I know the music is identical.

The intrada has sone music not on the digital IIRC

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Amazing Spider-Man is not part of the MCU.

Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far from Home are the only Spidey movies set in the MCU.

(now I realize how confusing this may seem for people who don't follow Marvel regularly, lol)

So, I can't listen to ASM  unless there is a significant time lapse between it and AVENGERS/CATFA?😗

22 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It depends what you mean by 'essential'.

It's TV for young teens but that might be exactly the reason why some folks are thoroughly entertained by it. 

When I was young we had The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Gemini Man, ... Not much has changed.