The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Still haven't heard why people think Doctor Strange was so great. I saw a technically complex (CGI) but mediocre directed movie. The story is told in a bland manner with characters that don't come out well. Raimi will have an easy task in making a superior sequel. 

I rank it as probably the best MCU movie.

Strange’s story is interesting and told in a mature but still fun way. Strange also learns something about himself in the story and grows as a character which most Marvel characters don’t. It was also nicely paced.

And I like the way they portrayed magic. It could’ve easily ended up feeling like Marvel’s version of Harry Potter, where all magic has a kind of superficial feel to it, but it didn’t. In Dr Strange, magic has depth to it in a way that I think hasn’t been put to film before.

Also, Cumberbatch is cumberawesome! Probably the best actor since Jack Nicholson.

It was basically Iron Man with magic instead of a metal suit. I do think the performances set it a little bit apart, and I really liked the mind-bending sequences, but otherwise there's not much to be gleaned from this.

There's a hillarious line near the end of the film: "you think there's no price to pay, Strange? No consequences?" You'd think for a movie so sarcastic that the characters would know not to say shit like this because no, of course there are no consequences, its a Marvel movie!

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

It was basically Iron Man with magic instead of a metal suit. I do think the performances set it a little bit apart, and I really liked the mind-bending sequences, but otherwise there's not much to be gleaned from this.

There's a hillarious line near the end of the film: "you think there's no price to pay, Strange? No consequences?" You'd think for a movie so sarcastic that the characters would know not to say shit like this because no, of course there are no consequences, its a Marvel movie!

To be fair MCU Iron Man stole a chunk of Strange's origin. The story was the same but Tony thought himself a perfectly OK fellow in the comics. 

I hope Gia comes back for Strange 2. Strange is one of my favorite MCU scores. 

Black Widow's fight choreographer about Taskmaster, a villain that has studied the Avengers and will replicate fight moves of Captain America, Winter Soldier, Iron Man and Spider-Man:

"Taskmaster is, by far, the hardest character that we've had to design for because you finally have a character that can look at what you're doing, replicate it, and use it right back at you. And if you used it again, he will be ready for you. So, with the story for Taskmaster, we try to have a story for the fights. You see in the bridge fight that Natasha gets close to him and she tries to do the Widow move. But he's seen it before. He's done his research and completely just stuffs her! So, the hardest part for Taskmaster was to keep the fight engaging because it's easy to replicate choreography, but we have to have story pieces around it.

"For me, it's great what Natasha has to do during the bridge fight. She's got to look at this person in front of her. What do they want? In that fight, Natasha has to ask questions the whole time. She doesn't know why Taskmaster is there. Taskmaster has studied the Avengers; in the bridge fight you can see that. You see flashes of Captain America, you see flashes of Bucky, you see flashes of Iron Man, and you see Spider-Man in this sequence. How do you fight someone that can embody all the Avengers at once? The hard part of the fights is to make those moments read, but it's the moments you're going to remember. My favorite moment from that fight is when Natasha takes a beating just to get that grappling hook on Taskmaster's leg."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/black_widow/black-widow-taskmaster-will-imitate-bucky-iron-man-spider-man-and-more-when-he-faces-natasha-romanoff-a180424

MCU Spider-Man 3 has pretty much become a de-facto live action SpiderVerse movie (with Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield returning). Sony posted, then made private, a teaser for the movie from its Latino American YT page.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's actually the third since Tobey Maguire is in it too

I'm going by official casting announcements. I don't doubt this is going to be a Spider-Verse setup but Alfred Molina is the second confirmed cast member from the Raimi films.

Sony creating a video mentioning Maguire and Garfield and releasing it on a a youtube channel they run isn't official?

Like I said, I believe it. But that video was clearly not meant to appear when it did. An official source uploading something that wasn't meant to be uploaded and was deleted by the higher-ups when it came to their attention is what I'd class as a leak and not official confirmation.

13 hours ago, Matt C said:

Collider confirms that Dunst and Garfield are on board. Says that Emma Stone is "expected" to return as Gwen Stacy and that if a deal closes, then Tobey is on board too.

https://collider.com/spider-man-3-cast-doc-ock-alfred-molina-andrew-garfield/

Urm... how is Gwen returning, given she died in her last film? Cloning? Dark science? Secrets only the Spiders know? Seriously though, I'd expect Spider-Gwen. She'll probably be from an adjacent world to Andrew's Spider-Man.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

I don't remember any MILFs in Spider-Man comics. 

Mary Jane's a mother in at least two titles I can think of.