The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Disney announced dates today for all of their 2021 content.  Here's the MCU content

WANDAVISION – January 15, 2021 (Marvel Studios / Disney+)

Marvel Studios presents “WandaVision,” a blend of classic television and the Marvel Cinematic Universe in which Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) and Vision (Paul Bettany) — two super-powered beings living idealized suburban lives — begin to suspect that everything is not as it seems. The series is directed by Matt Shakman with Jac Schaeffer as head writer.

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER – March 19, 2021 (Marvel Studios / Disney+)

Marvel Studios’ “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier” stars Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson aka The Falcon, and Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes aka The Winter Soldier. The pair, who came together in the final moments of “Avengers: Endgame,” team up on a global adventure that tests their abilities—and their patience. Directed by Kari Skogland with Malcolm Spellman serving as head writer, the six-episode series also stars Daniel Brühl as Baron Zemo, Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter, and Wyatt Russell as John Walker.

BLACK WIDOW – May 7, 2021 (Marvel Studios / Theatrical)

In Marvel Studios’ action-packed spy thriller “Black Widow,” Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Pursued by a force that will stop at nothing to bring her down, Natasha must deal with her history as a spy and the broken relationships left in her wake long before she became an Avenger.

Scarlett Johansson reprises her role as Natasha/Black Widow, Florence Pugh stars as Yelena, David Harbour portrays Alexei/The Red Guardian, and Rachel Weisz is Melina. Directed by Cate Shortland and produced by Kevin Feige, “Black Widow” — the first film in Phase Four of the Marvel Cinematic Universe — hits U.S. theaters on May 7, 2021.

LOKI – May 2021 (Marvel Studios / Disney+)

Marvel Studios’ “Loki” is set to debut on Disney+ in May 2021, featuring the God of Mischief as he steps out of his brother’s shadow in a new series that takes place after the events of “Avengers: Endgame.” Tom Hiddleston returns as the title character, joined by Owen Wilson, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Sophia Di Martino, Wunmi Mosaku and Richard E. Grant. Kate Herron directs “Loki,” and Michael Waldron is head writer.

SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS – July 9, 2021 (Marvel Studios / Theatrical)

Marvel Studios’ “Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings” stars Simu Liu as Shang-Chi, who must confront the past he thought he left behind when he is drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization. The film also stars Tony Leung as Wenwu, Awkwafina as Shang-Chi’s friend Katy and Michelle Yeoh as Jiang Nan, as well as Fala Chen, Meng’er Zhang, Florian Munteanu and Ronny Chieng.

“Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings” is directed by Destin Daniel Cretton from a screenplay written by David Callaham, Cretton and Andrew Lanham. It is produced by Kevin Feige and Jonathan Schwartz, with Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso and Charles Newirth serving as executive producers.

WHAT IF…? – Summer 2021 (Marvel Studios / Disney+)

“What If…?” flips the script on the MCU, reimagining famous events from the films in unexpected ways. Coming to Disney+ in summer 2021, Marvel Studios’ first animated series focuses on different heroes from the MCU, featuring a voice cast that includes a host of stars who reprise their roles. The series is directed by Bryan Andrews; Ashley Bradley is head writer.

ETERNALS – November 5, 2021 (Marvel Studios / Theatrical)

Directed by Chloé Zhao, Marvel Studios’ “Eternals” welcomes an exciting new team of Super Heroes to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The epic story, spanning thousands of years, features a group of immortal heroes forced out of the shadows to reunite against mankind’s oldest enemy, The Deviants.

The outstanding ensemble cast includes Richard Madden as the all-powerful Ikaris, Gemma Chan as humankind-loving Sersi, Kumail Nanjiani as cosmic-powered Kingo, Lauren Ridloff as the super-fast Makkari, Brian Tyree Henry as the intelligent inventor Phastos, Salma Hayek as the wise and spiritual leader Ajak, Lia McHugh as the eternally young, old-soul Sprite, Don Lee as the powerful Gilgamesh, Barry Keoghan as aloof loner Druig, and Angelina Jolie as the fierce warrior Thena. Kit Harington plays Dane Whitman.

MS. MARVEL– Late 2021 (Marvel Studios / Disney+)

Marvel Studios’ “Ms. Marvel,” launching on Disney+ in late 2021, is a new series that introduces Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani)—a 16-year-old Pakistani-American growing up in Jersey City. A great student, an avid gamer and a voracious fan-fiction scribe, she has a special affinity for superheroes, particularly Captain Marvel. But Kamala struggles to fit in at home and at school—that is, until she gets super powers like the heroes she’s always looked up to. Life is easier with super powers, right?

The cast also includes Aramis Knight, Saagar Shaikh, Rish Shah, Zenobia Shroff, Mohan Kapur, Matt Lintz, Yasmeen Fletcher, Laith Naki, Azher Usman, Travina Springer and Nimra Bucha. Episodes are directed by Adil El Arbi & Bilall Fallah, Meera Menon and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy.

HAWKEYE – Late 2021 (Marvel Studios / Disney+)

Marvel Studios’ “Hawkeye” stars Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, who teams up with another well-known archer from the Marvel comics, Kate Bishop, played by Hailee Steinfeld. The cast also includes Vera Farmiga, Fra Fee, Tony Dalton, Zahn McClarnon, Brian d’Arcy James and newcomer Alaqua Cox as Maya Lopez. “Hawkeye” is helmed by Rhys Thomas and directing duo Bert and Bertie.

Not listed is the third Spider-man flick, since it's technically Sony - that's coming Dec 17

Basically, it's a year of 4 big theatrical movies (3 starts of new series, 1 sequel), and the start of a whopping 6 TV series - 4 spun off from popular movie characters, 1 for a brand new character, and then the What If animated show.

Overload, or just right?

I don't believe in franchise overload as long as stuff is good.  Given the current timeline predictions re: vaccination and getting back to normal, I likely won't be seeing Black Widow or Shang Chi in theaters, so hopefully there won't be a lot of overlap in the series.

Overkill. WandaVision and What If are the only two productions that stoke any interest in me at the moment, and only because of their quirkiness potential. (Maybe the Ms. Marvel and the next Thor will also qualify.) All the rest of it is an onslaught of “none of it really matters because of the stakes-eliminating problem of immortal, un-harmable heroes and the fact that time isn’t linear anymore so anything can be undone.”

57 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don't believe in franchise overload as long as stuff is good. 

This!  I would only experience Marvel-fatigue if the shows / movies didn't match or exceed the previous 5 years of movies.  

It was better (to me) in that for the most part the main characters had already been established in Phase 1 so they were able to expand upon them.  What I meant instead of previous 5 years was Phase 2 on, didn't bother to look up the time-frame of the Phases.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The previous 5 years?

So MCU 2015-2019 > MCU 2008-2014?

Actually, I'd say it's more like MCU 2014 - 2019 >>> MCU 2008 - 2013. From the latter, I virtually only like the first Avengers.

Not really surprised since they shelled out for Ludwig on Mando, but it's nice to see that D+ isn't cheaping out on the music budget on their fancy Marvel shows.  Just checked and it looks like Christophe Beck is doing Wandavision, per IMDB at least.  I don't recall hearing that!

I dunno, maybe because of the pandemic Jackman's score will be more synth than orchestral? Mando season 2, which was also recorded during the pandemic, was much more electronic than season 1. 

In any case, I'm expecting a score that is more like Winter Soldier and less like Civil War.

I'd prefer it to be more TWS than CW, given how much the latter score generally underwhelmed me. How much that was influenced by the absence of Matthew Margeson in CW and/or Jackman allegedly taking the harsh feedback for TWS to heart is anyone's guess.

Civil War is a bigger movie than Winter Soldier, it's almost Avengers 2.5, so I think Jackman decided to go with a fuller orchestral sound. I like both scores, they work just fine in their movies, although WS theme is clearly inspired by the Joker sound from Zimmer's TDK.

In any case, now that Bucky is a hero again I imagine Jackman won't use his old theme, and instead score him with something more bold and heroic.

Episode Count & Length For MCU Shows Including Loki, She-Hulk Revealed

Ten 30-minute episodes

• WandaVision (9 episodes)
  • What If?
  • She-Hulk

Six 40-50 minute episodes

• Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • Loki
  • Moon Knight
  • Secret Invasion

Unannounced

• Ms. Marvel
  • Hawkeye
  • Ironheart
  • Armor Wars

Just now, Edmilson said:

Steve's ending was one of the most satisfying out of all of the Avengers

Yeah, there's not much to fault that part of Endgame.

• 2 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Weird.  Close your browser and reopen and try again?

It happens every once in a while, and I just refresh Chrome and it works.  The message including "content" was funny to me, given the context.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

They just released the official title

No Way Home