The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

I loved it when I read it as a kid, it was a big shock to discover the first movie ends at its midpoint! It completely misrepresents and unbalances the core theme and point of the metanarrative: keeping your imagination and stories alive, but not getting lost in them. No wonder Ende was upset.

By the way. I would have expected that there would be already a thread to discuss "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" or at least Henry Jackman's score. The first episode is available since about 36 hours, and no discussion going on? Or did I just miss it?

On 3/12/2021 at 3:20 PM, Jay said:

"cinematic" has more meanings than simply "was shown in a cinema", but I think you know that

The basic meaning is “tells its story through visuals.”

First ep of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier had a great action scene opening it, but after that it was a little boring. 

Henry Jackman's score is on the vein of his music for The Winter Soldier. He even brings back some of his themes from that score, like the WS theme, his Captain America theme and Falcon's theme.

I thought it was great, surprisingly good action and got me really interested in both characters where I've never really cared about them before. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

First ep of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier had a great action scene opening it, but after that it was a little boring. 

That's funny, I felt the opposite. It did not get off to a great start with me. I was bored by that opening action scene, though I was quite impressed with the quality of the VFX. After that it really picked up for me and went in a lot of unexpected places. I agree with @Jules that it made me care about the characters in ways I had not quite gotten to in the film series.

Disney+ says that The Falcon and The Winter Soldier ranks as the most watched series premiere ever for the streaming service during its opening weekend, Friday, March 19 – Sunday, March 22, and the most watched title overall for the same time period on a global basis, including in Disney+ Hotstar markets. No viewership numbers were provided whatsoever.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-disney-reports-that-marvel-series-premiere-is-streaming-services-most-watched-ever-1234719529/

Lol. I've always wondered this. Are we supposed to just trust these companies when they say something is successful if they don't show any numbers and they're doing all the metrics themselves?

Just now, Jay said:

Disney+ has only existed for a year and a half.  Of course new content will keep beating old content as they continue to gain more subscribers

Oh well sure. I get that. I just wonder how accurate this kind of stuff is in general from streaming platforms. Like Nielsen ratings are pretty widely known and more public, but this stuff is behind closed doors and never backed up with actual numbers a lot of the time.

Yeah, there’s really no reason to doubt this.  Disney+ is only gaining subscribers and this is riding the coattails of the buzz and good will generated by WandaVision.  Key word also is “series premiere.”  What is it competing against at this point?  Mainly just Mandalorian S1:E1 and WandaVision S1:E1.  There’s a lot of stuff with somewhat more limited demographic appeal (High School Musical, Muppets Now, some travel shows, docuseries, and cartoons).  I’d also take that “series premiere” qualifier to mean that Mando S2’s premiere likely topped it. 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

This will be the third (hopefully last?) time we spend that money to watch a movie from home during the pandemic.  First was Trolls 2 on Easter 2020, next will be Raya this Easter.

Raya looks cool, I look forward to seeing it when it's out of the $30 window and in my main Disney+

Black Widow I will hopefully see in the theater.  I should be vaccinated by July - I hope!

Yeah, again, it was more of a general question that I thought of based on that. Not this specific example. 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Welp. Guess I won't be watching it until it's back on there for free with the home video release or I'm comfortable enough to go to a theater by July.

I have not yet seen Onward, Mulan, or Raya yet because I'm not paying $30 to rent a digital streaming version of a movie and by the time they come out on Home Media I've forgotten about them.

Onward has been “free” to stream on Disney+ since the day it came out.  Same as Soul and apparently same as Luca is going to be.  Three original Pixar movies in a row!  Bet if Pixar were releasing Cars 4 or Toy Story 5, they’d make ya shell out the $30.

For us, $30 is less than what it would cost for 2 of us to see a movie (even more for kids movies where we’d pay for 3 of us), and that’s not even counting concessions which would take it up considerably.  I wouldn’t do it regularly, but for stuff we’re excited about, I’ll pay the rental. 

5 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I have not yet seen Onward, Mulan, or Raya yet because I'm not paying $30 to rent a digital streaming version of a movie and by the time they come out on Home Media I've forgotten about them.

Onward opened in theaters pre-pandemic and has been free on Disney+ since March 6th

Mulan was only $30 from Sep 4-Dec 4 2020, it's free now

Raya is only $30 until June 5, then it will be free

Black Widow will only be $30 from July 9-Oct 9, then free after

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Onward has been “free” to stream on Disney+ since the day it came out.

Was it? Guess so. I thought it was one of those expensive rentals. Either way I missed it. 

I did miss Mulan and Raya on purpose though. I'll miss Black Widow on purpose as well if I don't see it in theaters.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Onward opened in theaters pre-pandemic and has been free on Disney+ since March 6th

Mulan was only $30 from Sep 4-Dec 4 2020, it's free now

Raya is only $30 until June 5, then it will be free

Black Widow will only be $30 from July 9-Oct 9, then free after

Thanks for the dates, I guess I'll tune in for those once they're free. 

Like I said, I forgot about Mulan after it was revealed to be $30. Had no clue when it was going free. I'll get around to it eventually.

Can't understand why people like the Brian Tyler MCU scores. They're far and away the most boring of the whole series to me. The only ones I would put on the same level are maybe the first two Iron Mans. 

Here's how the pandemic has changed Marvel's plans for Phase 4

Original plan as announced throughout 2019 (Comic Con, D23, etc)

• May 1, 2020 Black Widow
  • Fall 2020 Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • November 6, 2020 Eternals
  •  
  • February 12, 2021 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • Spring 2021 WandaVision
  • May 7, 2021 Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  • Spring 2021 Loki
  • July 16, 2021 Spider-man: No Way Home
  • Summer 2021 What If?
  • Fall 2021 Hawkeye
  • November 5, 2021 Thor: Love and Thunder
  •  
  • May 6, 2022 Black Panther 2
  • 2022 Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  •  
  • undated Blade
  • undated Captain Marvel 2
  • undated Fantastic 4
  • undated Guardians of the Galaxy 3
  • undated Moon Knight
  • undated Ms. Marvel
  • undated She-Hulk

Revised plan as it existed just before the pandemic started

• May 1, 2020 Black Widow
  • August 2020 Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • November 6, 2020 Eternals
  • December 2020 WandaVision
  •  
  • February 12, 2021 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • May 7, 2021 Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  • Spring 2021 Loki
  • July 16, 2021 Spider-man: No Way Home
  • Summer 2021 What If?
  • Fall 2021 Hawkeye
  • November 5, 2021 Thor: Love and Thunder
  •  
  •  
  • undated Blade
  • undated Captain Marvel 2
  • undated Fantastic 4
  • undated Moon Knight
  • undated Ms. Marvel
  • undated She-Hulk

Early 2020 date changes as the pandemic hit

• August 2020 Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • November 6, 2020 Black Widow
  • December 2020 WandaVision
  •  
  • February 12, 2021 Eternals
  • May 7, 2021 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • Spring 2021 Loki
  • Summer  2021 What If?
  • November 5, 2021 Spider-man: No Way Home
  • Fall 2021 Hawkeye
  •  
  • February 11, 2022 Thor: Love and Thunder
  • March 25, 2022 Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  • July 8, 2022 Captain Marvel 2
  •  
  • undated Blade
  • undated Fantastic 4
  • undated Moon Knight
  • undated Ms. Marvel
  • undated She-Hulk

Late 2020 changes as the pandemic continued (including Dec 2020 investor day announcements)

• January 15, 2021 WandaVision
  • March 19, 2021 Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • May 7, 2021 Black Widow
  • May 2021  Loki
  • November 5, 2021 Eternals
  • July 9, 2021 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • Summer 2021 What If?
  • December 17, 2021 Spider-man: No Way Home
  • late 2021 Hawkeye
  • late 2021 Ms. Marvel
  •  
  • May 6, 2022 Thor: Love and Thunder
  • July 8, 2022 Black Panther 2
  • November 11, 2022 Captain Marvel 2
  • 2022 Moon Knight
  • 2022 She-Hulk
  • December 2022 Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special
  •  
  • 2023 Guardians of the Galaxy 3
  •  
  • undated Armor Wars
  • undated Blade
  • undated I Am Groot
  • undated Ironheart
  • undated Fantastic 4
  • undated Secret Invasion

Current dates as of today

• January 15, 2021 WandaVision
  • March 19, 2021 Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • June 11, 2021 Loki
  • July 9, 2021 Black Widow
  • September 3, 2021 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • November 5, 2021 Eternals
  • Summer 2021 What If?
  • December 17, 2021 Spider-man: No Way Home
  • late 2021 Hawkeye
  • late 2021 Ms. Marvel
  •  
  • May 6, 2022 Thor: Love and Thunder
  • July 8, 2022 Black Panther 2
  • November 11, 2022 Captain Marvel 2
  • 2022 Moon Knight
  • 2022 She-Hulk
  • December 2022 Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special
  •  
  • 2023 Guardians of the Galaxy 3
  •  
  • undated Armor Wars
  • undated Blade
  • undated I Am Groot
  • undated Ironheart
  • undated Fantastic 4
  • undated Secret Invasion

Basically the order we would have seen the beginning of the Phase has changed. 

1. 2020 BW -> F&WS -> TE-> 2021 SC&LTR -> WV -> DS2 -> Loki -> SM3 -> Hawkeye -> T:L&T- > 2022 BP2 -> AM3

2. 2020 BW -> F&WS -> TE-> WV -> 2021 SC&LTR -> DS2 -> Loki -> SM3 -> Hawkeye -> T:L&T -> 2022 BP2 -> AM3

3. 2020 F&WS -> BW -> WV -> 2021 TE -> SC&LTR -> Loki -> SM3 -> Hawkeye -> 2022 T:L&T-> DS2 ->  BP2 -> CM2 -> AM3

4. 2021 WV -> F&WS -> BW -> Loki -> TE-> SC&LTR -> SM3 -> Hawkeye -> MM -> 2022 T:L&T -> DS2 ->  BP2 -> CM2 -> AM3 -> MK -> SH -> 2023 GOTG3

5. 2021 WV -> F&WS -> Loki -> BW -> SC&LTR -> TE-> SM3 -> Hawkeye -> MM -> 2022 T:L&T -> DS2 -> BP2 -> CM2 -> AM3 -> MK -> SH -> 2023 GOTG3

Films only:

1. 2020 (2 films) BW -> Eternals-> 2021 (4 films) SC&LTR -> DS2 -> SM3 -> T:L&T- > 2022 (2 films) BP2 -> AM3

2. 2020 (1 film) BW -> 2021 (3 films) Eternals-> SC&LTR -> SM3 -> 2022 (5 films) T:L&T-> DS2 ->  BP2 -> CM2 -> AM3

3. 2020 (0 films) 2021 (4 films) BW -> Eternals-> SC&LTR -> SM3 -> 2022 5 films) T:L&T -> DS2 ->  BP2 -> CM2 -> AM3 -> 2023 GOTG3

4. 2020 (0 films) 2021 (4 films) BW -> SC&LTR -> Eternals -> SM3 -> 2022 (5 films) T:L&T -> DS2 -> BP2 -> CM2 -> AM3 -> 2023 GOTG3

Shows only:

1. 2020 Falcon & Winter Soldier -> 2021 WandaVision -> Loki -> Hawkeye

2. 2020 Falcon & Winter Soldier -> WandaVision -> 2021 Loki -> Hawkeye

3. 2021 WandaVision -> Falcon & Winter Soldier -> Loki -> Hawkeye -> Ms Marvel -> 2022 Moon Knight -> She-Hulk

I wonder if any post-credit teases moved around.  I think Florence Pugh's Black Widow character was supposed to be introduced in Black Widow then re-appear in Falcon & Winter Soldier, but will now be introduced in F&WS first.... The Eternals probably originally had a tease for Shang-Chi but now Shang-Chi is coming out before it.... And it looks like they were originally planning on having Wanda Vision come out just before Dr Strange 2 to literally lead directly into it, then just got it out the door first since it had more episodes filmed than Falcon before shutdowns... oi...

IT's funny that Black Widow was originally supposed to kick off Phase 4 before any TV series started, and now it'll be the fourth entry after 3 TV series have finished!

14 hours ago, Jules said:

Can't understand why people like the Brian Tyler MCU scores. They're far and away the most boring of the whole series to me. The only ones I would put on the same level are maybe the first two Iron Mans. 

I like parts of the scores for Iron Man 3 and The Dark World, but Tyler's Ultron material was pretty generic and uninspired. Some okay cues here and there, but overall a disappointing score.

I actually found his unaltered AoU to be his strongest effort as a whole product, but I definitely feel IM3 and TDW have the stronger singular moments. Kind of like what I think of the Snyderverse scores, though those are definitely better than Tyler's general works.

16 hours ago, Jules said:

The only ones I would put on the same level are maybe the first two Iron Mans. 

IM1 has like 4 good cues in it, but I honestly didn't mind IM2. Definitely the most underrated main theme of the MCU, which makes it quite unfortunate it's not utilized a bit more within the score itself.

Only MCU scores, that I found particularly interesting where those by Alan Silvestry, Henry Jackman und Christophe Beck, in that order. But in the film I found first Iron Man score very ok as well. The rest I don't mind at all.

Two episodes into The Falcon and The Winter Soldier...and it is actually pretty good. The first episode started the series in a somewhat muted note (not counting the opening) but in the second one things seem to pick up. It feels very much like The Winter Soldier and Civil War sequel and that can only be a good thing.

Karol

EXCLUSIVE: Russell Crowe has joined the cast of Marvel’s Thor: Love and Thunder, joining Chris Hemsworth, who is reprising his role as the God of Thunder; Natalie Portman; and Christian Bale, who will be playing the villain. Crowe’s role is being kept under wraps and the hope was to surprise fans with this fun cameo when the film was released, but following recent photos of Crowe hanging out with the cast all over Australia, Deadline has confirmed he is in the movie.

Insiders say Crowe is one of many surprises to come out of the film, with Matt Damon

also confirmed to reprise his cameo from Thor: Ragnarok. 

https://deadline.com/2021/03/thor-love-and-thunder-russell-crowe-1234723853/

On 4/3/2021 at 7:04 PM, Edmilson said:

Is that a choir version of the Avengers' theme at the end?

Yes. And it reminds me wayyyy to much of the choir version of the M.I them which worries me. I think this cue is from the actual soundtrack.