The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

I am just happy I finally got to hear all parts of the Winter Soldier theme again.

(and the civil war theme is used for Zemo now I guess)

Our sources remain baffled by Disney’s decision to take Black Widow theatrical and on Disney+ premier, not to mention its new release date. What was Disney thinking when they decided to move the Scarlet Johansson feature to July 9? We hear that will put Black Widow in a bad position in regards to dating in China: Due to the blackout period for films, Black Widow at its earliest won’t be able to open in the PRC until late August, and a Disney+ drop guarantees piracy of the title beforehand, which sources peg at a $50 million box office loss for the Marvel title in the country. Also, booking PLF screens for Black Widow will be a challenge for Disney given that it’s a theatrical-PVOD day-and-date title. But it’s clear Disney brass aren’t thinking about consumers or exhibition — rather the studio’s investors. There’s a greater emphasis for Disney on profiting off of rising stock prices versus any gains at the global box office.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/top-gun-maverick-mission-impossible-7-tom-cruise-release-date-change-july-4th-weekend-memorial-day-weekend-1234730581/

13 hours ago, crocodile said:

For what it's worth I think The Falcon and the Winter Soldier series is pretty good.

Glad to hear you enjoy it.

I find it a bit slow and un-engaging, the main characters unsympathetic and the stakes low.

But it’s well produced and I understand the appeal given its Marvel.

What’s the general feeling towards the show around here? Mostly good or mostly ‘meh’?

34 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I find it a bit slow and un-engaging, the main characters unsympathetic and the stakes low.

But it’s well produced and I understand the appeal given its Marvel.

My opinion as well. It's fun sometimes and the action scenes are mostly great, but the story is a bit boring so far. I feel like the show has a lot of potential, but didn't quite fully explored it yet. 

I don’t think it lends itself to conversation as much as WandaVision did, but it’s been reliably thrilling and fun every week.  Pretty gripping image to end episode 4.  Since this one is playing pretty much like a straightforward movie, it’ll be hard to pass a final judgment for another two weeks.

I thought the story was underwhelming, but this week's episode has definitely won me back for the moment. I hope they can bring this level of violence to other projects too, the action in this show hits hard. 

I feel the opposite apparently. I think the show is strongest when it's not trying to shoehorn in an action scene. Sure. They're cool, but I actually find the story very intriguing.

I don't really care about the action and I don't feel like they need to force any. Only one that felt earned was the finale of this week's episode.

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

Is it that subpar compared to movie action?

No. I just find the point of these shows is to further explore the characters more with the increased runtime than you can in a movie. Apparently some here find that boring.

The action scenes are mostly fine, but they feel forced most of the time. Like they're trying too hard to be a mini Marvel movie. Do your action when it makes sense, not to fill a quota. Makes it feel like they don't think the rest of the material is engaging enough. Although, apparently it's not to some people. Lol.

The Falcon Of The Winter Soldier, episode 1.

falcon_winter_soldier_episode_1_bucky_ba

Uncharismatic lead actors, drab dialog, second-rate direction, ... In short, it's even worse than the old Marvel series on Netflix. Maybe the show gets better after the pilot? If not, then I don't understand all the praising that's going on here at JWFan. 

michael-biehn-sebastian-stan-kyle-reese-

BTW, anyone noticed how Sebastian Stan (the Winter Soldier) looks a lot like Michael 'Terminator' Biehn?

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

I don't understand all the praising that's going on here at JWFan. 

"all the praising'?

Like this?

On 4/10/2021 at 5:05 PM, rough cut said:

On 4/10/2021 at 5:41 PM, Edmilson said:

the story is a bit boring so far. I feel like the show has a lot of potential, but didn't quite fully explored it yet. 

On 4/11/2021 at 12:51 AM, mstrox said:

I don’t think it lends itself to conversation as much as WandaVision did

On 4/11/2021 at 1:07 AM, Jules said:

I thought the story was underwhelming

On 4/11/2021 at 1:34 AM, Edmilson said:

I was underwhelmed by the show

On 4/11/2021 at 3:17 AM, TSMefford said:

I don't really care about the action

What are you talking about?

To be fair, I actually very much like and enjoy the show. I just think the action could be integrated more naturally. Found myself far more impressed with this than I thought I would considering I never really fully connected to either of these characters in the films.

Most are finding the focus on the characters boring and want more of the action / find the action to be the strongest aspect. I find the character stuff way more engaging and interesting and find the action forced like they need to meet a quota. Some of the action is cool, but yeah. Who knows how you'll feel about it. I'm in the minority on my thoughts.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

"all the praising"? What are you talking about?

You have TSMefford, crocodile, Once, mstrox ... all loving it to death. 

3 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Most are finding the focus on the characters boring and want more of the action / find the action to be the strongest aspect. I find the character stuff way more engaging and interesting 

That is pretty baffling to me since I haven't been bored with character stuff since the older Marvel series on Netflix. But again, I've only seen the pilot.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Why do you care

I don't. Why do you think I care?

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I think you are the only person I know who would interpret these posts as "loving it to death"

12 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I actually very much like and enjoy the show. I just think the action could be integrated more naturally. Found myself far more impressed with this than I thought I would considering I never really fully connected to either of these characters in the films.

On 4/10/2021 at 3:48 AM, crocodile said:

For what it's worth I think The Falcon and the Winter Soldier series is pretty good.

On 4/11/2021 at 12:51 AM, mstrox said:

I don’t think it lends itself to conversation as much as WandaVision did, but it’s been reliably thrilling and fun every week.  

Either that, or you didn't actually read their entire contents.

Oh, and there are only 3 quotes even though you mentioned 4 users, because "Once" doesn't have a single post on this page or the last, so I have no idea what you're talking about by mentioning him

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

"Once" doesn't have a single post on this page or the last, so I have no idea what you're talking about by mentioning him

Not everyone in the classroom dares to raise his finger, Jay. 

And crocs hates everything so for him to say "pretty good" is quite something.

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Lol. Okay. No one said anything about me "loving it to death". You're over exaggerating to try and make your point that you're some how going against the consensus by not liking it. It's far closer to being 50/50-ish around here at least. The show in general outside the board is getting a ton of praise that I think is understandable.

I'll just spell out my opinion. I enjoy it and think it's one of the better things Marvel specifically has done. I also appreciate that it's able to get darker than the films, but that comes nowhere near "loving it to death". 

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

That is pretty baffling to me since I haven't been bored with character stuff since the older Marvel series on Netflix.

WandaVision and Falcon and Winter Soldier are my first Marvel shows. I wasn't remotely interested in the other ones since they were hardly connected to the films. To be fair, you've only seen one Episode. I think it gets significantly better as it goes. First episode was interesting enough to hook me into watching more. It definitely gets more interesting to me as it goes along. I imagine the show had it's peak at the end of Episode 4 last week, but we'll see.

There are definitely more negative comments about the show than positive ones in this thread. Alex simply doesn't read the threads he posts in before posting in them

3 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

You're over exaggerating to try and make your point that you're some how going against the consensus by not liking it.

I'm pretty sure Alex's entire self-conception depends upon seeing himself as standing against some imagined JWFan consensus.

How boring this place would be if every forum member had the same opinion on everything

We're all individual people with individual opinions on everything we watch.  There is no consensus

10 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

The show in general outside the board is getting a ton of praise ...

JWFan is a microcosmos of the world outside the board! ;)

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I also didn't like the first episode too much. But the show got better and better. 

What changes it? The new Cap? 

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

What changes it? The new Cap? 

Uh. Kind of? Among other things. Mostly, it's the shows willingness to tackle material that is more complex and a bit darker than the films have dared to go. I also find the villains to be far more developed than most Marvel films with more shades of grey.

It's stuff that has been done far better in other things, but it's cool to see them willing to do this stuff now in one of their big shows that are more directly tied to the films. Gives me hope that the films themselves may be willing to do more interesting things if the reception of this is good.

My coworker who watches said the first 3 episodes were all setup and putting pieces into place, and then episode 4 was finally things going somewhere

That's an accurate description.  Last episode really picked up the intensity!  I'm liking the series so far, however I feel the Loki series will be the better of the two.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

My coworker who watches said the first 3 episodes were all setup and putting pieces into place, and then episode 4 was finally things going somewhere

Maybe, but there was a lot of interesting stuff in the first 3. I don't need tons of big events happening for it to "go somewhere". I think Episode 4 was the peak of the show and it will probably devolve into a silly action-fest ala WandaVision, but I'd love for it not to do that.

I should clarify about the story being 'underwhelming'. I actually think the show is great and really interesting. I'm impressed and really enjoying. I should've said that the plot is a little inconsistent, and some parts of Ep 2 and 3 particularly don't seem to make a whole lot of sense. It's possibly because they supposedly excised a pandemic storyline, although I've yet to see that rumour confirmed. 

1 hour ago, Jules said:

It's possibly because they supposedly excised a pandemic storyline, although I've yet to see that rumour confirmed. 

I saw a video recently that broke down where they might've had to change things:

12 hours ago, AC1 said:

Not everyone in the classroom dares to raise his finger, Jay. 

And crocs hates everything so for him to say "pretty good" is quite something.

Often I've found that people who seem to hate almost everything tend to reveal their questionable tastes when they finally do like something.

9 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I saw a video recently that broke down where they might've had to change things:

Wow that was in-depth. Thanks!

12 hours ago, Jules said:

It's possibly because they supposedly excised a pandemic storyline, although I've yet to see that rumour confirmed. 

Whaaaat?  That's interesting!