The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Let's hope 3rd (or is it 4th? LOL) time's a charm and July 9th is the actual release date!  Can this be the movie to bring people back to the cinemas post-pandemic?  We'll find out soon.

6 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Let's hope 3rd (or is it 4th? LOL) time's a charm and July 9th is the actual release date!  Can this be the movie to bring people back to the cinemas post-pandemic?  We'll find out soon.

It's gonna be a gradual thing.  Just look at Godzilla vs. Kong and Mortal Kombat.  Both opening to numbers that would be bad by pre-pandemic standards but are huge by pandemic standards.  There are couple of big horror movies opening in May (the Chris Rock Saw movie and A Quiet Place Part II) that I think could take it to the next step up.

Is "A Quiet Place" considered "horror"?  I saw the first film and thought of it as more of a sci-fi thriller

Just now, Edmilson said:

A movie can have a lot of different genres. AQP, for example, is at the same time a horror movie, a drama and sci-fi.

Hmm, that's a good point.  I guess I just wouldn't lead with horror for that one, personally.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I haven't seen it due to lack of interest!

Oh that's too bad, it's good!

Just now, ATXHusker said:

To me, horror movies have a lot of blood and gore in them.  AQP had neither of those, it was more of a sci-fi / suspense movie.

Exactly!

The amount of 'blood' doesn't define whether a movie is horror or not. 

From the pages of wiki:

A horror film is one that seeks to elicit fear in its audience for entertainment purposes.[1] Horror films additionally aim to evoke viewers' nightmares, fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown or the macabre. Initially inspired by literature from authors such as Edgar Allan Poe, Bram Stoker, and Mary Shelley, horror has existed as a film genre for more than a century. Horror may also overlap with the fantasy, supernatural fiction, and thriller genres.

I would definitely call A Quiet Place 'horror'.

Can't people cite OTHER sources that Wikipedia?

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

A movie can have a lot of different genres. AQP, for example, is at the same time a horror movie, a drama and sci-fi.

It dropped any pretense of sci- fi with the lack of any logic or consistency concerning the creatures behavior.

Horror pure and simple

13 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Can't people cite OTHER sources that Wikipedia?

From Britannica:

Horror film, motion picture calculated to cause intense repugnance, fear, or dread. Horror films may incorporate incidents of physical violence and psychological terror; they may be studies of deformed, disturbed, psychotic, or evil characters; stories of terrifying monsters or malevolent animals; or mystery thrillers that use atmosphere to build suspense. The genre often overlaps science-fiction films and film noir.

Again, notice how it doesn't say "lots of blood ".

It started out as a suspense classic .

It turned into genre at the last act.

Too bad.

It could been an Oscar contender

Fyi

There are many posts that delineate the enormous plot holes and lack of logic

If you care

So, I forgot to watch the finale to Falcon & Winter Soldier... but reminded my self tonight. (Also, “forgot to watch the finale”, that’s a review in itself, right there.)

Twenty minutes in, I immediately remembered why I forgot... the fights are empty, the plot nonsensical, the characters forgettable.

I hope Loki is better. I’m looking forward to that one.

Ms Marvel looks like Alex Dunphy in a Halloween costume

The Falcon And Winter Soldier: Episode 4 & 5.

Sigh ... This is not a good series, guys! While episode 4 was kinda okay, episode 5 was downright sleep-inducing.

falcon-winter-soldier-1x05-1.jpg?w=620

Zzzzz

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

There's cool footage of future films from 1:42-end of this

Black Widow - I keep forgetting Florence Pugh is in this thing too.  I'm really looking forward to this one.  I like that there have not been tons of trailer and spoilers ahead of time, I feel like I barely know what it's gonna be about

Shang-Chi - I hope this is good

The Eternals - I thought this had a kinda weird glossy/fake look to it, which was a bit shocking after seeing Nomadland!  I also feel like I haven't seen Angelina Jolie in anything in a long time after she was everywhere for a while in the late 90s and early 2000s.  Curious to see the first trailer for this and learn what it's actually about

Spider-man No Way Home - aw, no footage even though it's all shot

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - This is definitely one of the more intriguing projects coming out, between its storyline potential and the director and cast (and composer)

Thor Love and Thunder - I don't think I liked Ragnarok as much as many here but I dunno, this could be fun

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Strange name for the sequel.  I wonder if they started over from scratch after Boseman's death or if they took the core but changed his character's role in it?

The Marvels - this is the new name for Captain Marvel 2? Why?

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - This is one of the ones I'm most looking forward too - both of the first ones were really fun

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - Anyone else feel like GOTG1 in 2014 and GOTG2 in 2017 were made at the right time and GOTG3 in 2023 is just going to feel like its all past its prime?

That 4 logo at the end - is this just for Phase 4, or is this a hint about Fantastic 4?

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I believe they confirmed that this was a team up movie with Ms. Marvel (after her D+ series later this year).  I’d also suspect that Super Monica Rambeau will have something to do with it, given her mother’s relationship with Captain Marvel and the fact that we last saw her with a Skrull on WandaVision.  A whole team of Marvels!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I think it is because it also features Ms Marvel. 

Karol

13 hours ago, mstrox said:

I thought episode 5 was probably the season’s best!  

Why did you like so much? Character development isn't exactly Marvel's strong suit. I watch stuff like Marvel or James Bond for different reasons: Action, tension, the stunts, the spectacular, ... and served with a pinch of humor every now and then.  Episode 5 seems to have forgotten about that. Maybe they ran out of budget? 

A lot of it had a laid-back vibe that those movies don’t usually have the time to include (maybe only the weird party in Avengers 2??).  I like the way the episode resolves earlier storylines (Bad Murderer Cap, etc.) moves all the pieces into place for the final battle and keeps it interesting.  It’s more effective, I feel, than the finale which was kind of standard punch-em-up hero stuff, and episode 5 got to the thesis of the series without a five minute monologue explicitly saying it (unlike episode 6).  

I thought the series as a whole was pretty solid entertainment, although I wouldn’t revisit it unless I was doing a whole MCU rewatch.

32 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I thought the series as a whole was pretty solid entertainment, although I wouldn’t revisit it unless I was doing a whole MCU rewatch.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching it for what it is, which is mostly "we need to get these characters from where they were at the end of Endgame to where we want them to be for the next Captain America movie."  For people who are all in on following the MCU storylines, that's good enough, but I can see more casual people coming away disappointed.

I wonder how much the idea of civil unrest post blip will continue to be a factor in the coming shows/movies.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Spider-man No Way Home - aw, no footage even though it's all shot

After Endgame I was thinking about that almost each of the previous MCU movies payed somehow into this last one. Except Spiderman Homecoming. You actually can (and in my opinion should) completely skip that one. 

I dunno, do you only watch these movies based on how much their story elements fit into the overall series?

Homecoming is a super fun film!  Does *every* entry need to move a huge plot forward?

I would agree it's not as good, but I wouldn't say it was that steep a drop-off.  I liked a lot about it.  Gyllenhaal was great and clearly having fun, the script just didn't quite gel for his character.  I weirdly liked Happy (Favreau) being a more central character?  I dunno, it was fine.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno, do you only watch these movies based on how much their story elements fit into the overall series?

No, I don't. I was simply bored by the movie. But maybe that's because it had that romantic highschool teeny comedy setting. And that is neither my area of interest nor my kind of humor.

Yea, Far From Home was... fine, even though a lot of it didn't make sense, but Homecoming was exceptionally good, so I was hoping for more of that.

Score is great though

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, No Way Home was... fine, even though a lot of it didn't make sense, but Homecoming was exceptionally good, so I was hoping for more of that.

Score is great though

Heh heh, I find these subtitles hard to keep straight too :lol:

OK, this "Pym Test Kitchen" MCU-themed food coming to Disneyland this summer is kinda funny and kinda sad

https://www.slashfilm.com/avengers-campus-food-drinks-treats-and-more/

The size of that chicken sandwich!

Avengers Campus Food, Drinks, Treats and More