The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Could easily be Mephisto or some other new villain, masquerading as Strange (and somehow fooling Wong) 

Or it is Strange, but the spell is just a trick, showing Peter the downside of making everyone forget he's Spider-Man, and by the end of the movie the spell wears off and Peter learns his lesson 

Except Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness says bad stuff continues

Also, sometimes, Doctor Strange does still fuck up just like this in the comics and he's been Sorcerer Supreme for much longer. I mean, if you can get Loki to ask what the heck is Strange doing...

So they are doing a Sinister Six thing here right?

1. Green Goblin (Willem Dafoe)
  2. Dr Octopus (Alfred Molina)
  3. Sandman (Thomas Haden Church)
  4. The Lizard (Rhys Ifans)
  5. Electro (Jaime Foxx)
  6. ???

But who will be the sixth?

I'm guessing not James Franco's New Goblin.  Not Dane DeHaan's Green Goblin.  Not Topher Grace's Venom.  Not Tom Hardy's Venom or Woody Harrelson's Carnage.

We haven't heard about Michael Keaton returning as Vulture or Bokeem Woodbine as Shocker or Michael Mando as Scorpion or Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio...

So.... Paul Giamatti's RHINO!?

Would be great if Keaton came back though.  I thought the post-credit scenes of Homecoming revealed that would be the case, but then nothing came of it...

The strange thing is, it's made a big deal that, at the end of Homecoming, Keaton's character knows that Peter Parker is Spider-man.  And the post-credits scene continues on that thread and makes it seem like it's going to be a big deal, and a big problem for Parker in the future.

Then Far From Home ignores all this, and has Mysterio & JJJ reveal who Spider-man is at the end of it anyway, making that Homecoming thread and post-credit scene completely pointless...

On top of that, the JJJ reveal only happens in the mid-credits of Far From Home, the entire main film doesn't even foreshadow this at all.

it's almost like the success of the Spider-verse cartoon made them completely rethink their plans for film 3 and the mid-credits scene was hastily tacked into Far From Home...

Between all the producers at Sony and Marvel Studios, I’m sure there are a lot of ideas about what direction these films should take going forward and I doubt there has ever been a well defined plan for this series that both studios agreed to. Obviously, the Sinister Six is something Sony is pushing. Setting Peter up as “the next Iron Man” seems like a Marvel Studios idea to me. Either way, I suspect they rethink their ideas for future projects literally every time they start production on another Spider-Man movie.

There’s also just a lot of room for things for things like the Vulture credits scene from Homecoming to be added on a whim or filmed and then never followed up on because continuity is hard even when you have just one writer on a project, nevermind several competing agendas. The multiverse angle of this film is no doubt appealing to both studios though, not only because of the critical success of Into the Spiderverse, but because it could allow for the cleaning up of loose story threads while even granting Sony the opportunity bring in the Six without needing a string of successful solo villain movies to set it up.

22 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Except Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness says bad stuff continues

I don't know about that.  Before covid happened, Dr. Strange 2 was set to be out BEFORE Spider-man 3, not after it.

This was their plans pre-covid:

• May 1, 2020 Black Widow
  • August 2020 Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • November 6, 2020 Eternals
  • December 2020 WandaVision
  •  
  • February 12, 2021 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • May 7, 2021 Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  • Spring 2021 Loki
  • July 16, 2021 Spider-man: No Way Home
  • Summer 2021 What If?
  • Fall 2021 Hawkeye
  • November 5, 2021 Thor: Love and Thunder
  •  
  • May 6, 2022 Black Panther 2
  • 2022 Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

So I don't think we can expect the plot of No Way Home to have an influence on the plot of The Multiverse of Madness.  In fact, they might have had to remove references to what happens in Multiverse of Madness from No Way Home's final script

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Willem Dafoe?  Yea, you can hear him in the trailer

No, Willem Dafoe's Doc Ock! If anything goes in the multiverse, then even this would!

18 hours ago, Alex said:

I just want Giacchino to use this raucous Elfman material, that’s all. 

One of his very finest action cues for sure. :)

Karol

21 hours ago, Jay said:

The strange thing is, it's made a big deal that, at the end of Homecoming, Keaton's character knows that Peter Parker is Spider-man.  And the post-credits scene continues on that thread and makes it seem like it's going to be a big deal, and a big problem for Parker in the future.

Then Far From Home ignores all this, and has Mysterio & JJJ reveal who Spider-man is at the end of it anyway, making that Homecoming thread and post-credit scene completely pointless...

On top of that, the JJJ reveal only happens in the mid-credits of Far From Home, the entire main film doesn't even foreshadow this at all.

it's almost like the success of the Spider-verse cartoon made them completely rethink their plans for film 3 and the mid-credits scene was hastily tacked into Far From Home...

I see Homecoming's mid-credit scene as a resolution rather than a set up. Keaton's Vulture is the only one who knows who Spiderman's real identity is, but since Peter is such a good kid who saved his daughter AND him, he feels he's honor-bound to keep Peter's secret.

It's a dangling plot thread, sure, but I didn't think even back when the film was first released that it was going to end up going somewhere. I thought it was a decent epilogue that they put in there for the audience to ensure us that the status quo on Peter's identity isn't under threat of change for the next film.

Ahhh OK.  It's been a while since I've seen Homecoming; I thought I remembered Keaton having an evil flair to his performance, setting up that he'll be coming after Parker in the future

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Ahhh OK.  It's been a while since I've seen Homecoming; I thought I remembered Keaton having an evil flair to his performance, setting up that he'll be coming after Parker in the future

I'm not a body language expert or anything so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. It just seems to me in the scene that he's playing it more stoic, more Poker-facey because [Scorpion] is trying to figure out if he knows Spidey's true identity and he chooses not to give it away.

EDIT: Found the scene:

On 8/24/2021 at 3:02 PM, crocodile said:

Would be nice to hear some nods to Horner and Zimmer too. 

Karol

I think Giacchino will quote Elfman's main Spider-Man theme and the Horner or Zimmer Spidey themes. Maybe he'll intertwine them and use them in different ways.

But would he go through all the trouble of referencing the villain motifs? You have the Elfman motifs for Doc Ock and Green Goblin, Zimmer's dubstep for Electro and Chris Young's awesome Sandman motif. It would be awesome if he quoted them.

But it might make the score fragmented, especially on the score release. Especially with Giacchino's own Spidey and Dr. Strange themes also in the mix.

5 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I think Giacchino will quote Elfman's main Spider-Man theme and the Horner or Zimmer Spidey themes. Maybe he'll intertwine them and use them in different ways.

But would he go through all the trouble of referencing the villain motifs? You have the Elfman motifs for Doc Ock and Green Goblin, Zimmer's dubstep for Electro and Chris Young's awesome Sandman motif. It would be awesome if he quoted them.

But it might make the score fragmented, especially on the score release. Especially with Giacchino's own Spidey and Dr. Strange themes also in the mix.

I think he will compose a general theme for the villains. And he will probably quote the Elfman spidey theme

I wouldn't be surprised if he perhaps used Elfman's, Horners or Zimmer's themes in the villains' individual introductions, but then have a new theme for them collectively after that.

59 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he perhaps used Elfman's, Horners or Zimmer's themes in the villains' individual introductions, but then have a new theme for them collectively after that.

That's what I'm expecting

14 minutes ago, Smaug The Iron said:

Agree, but include Captain America's Theme as well.

Doh!  How could I have left that one off my list?  Senior moment hehe

I've also got Iron Man 3 theme and GOTG theme in 6th and 7th place. 

5 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

My top Marvel themes:

• Avengers theme
  • Spider-man theme
  • Ant-man theme
  • Dr. Strange theme

Only one and a half of those overlaps with my list!

BuT hE HaS nO REcOlLEcTIOn oF BeING iN tHE fILM

(An hour prior to this leaking, an article popped up on Variety in which he made that exact claim)

https://variety.com/2021/film/actors/andrew-garfield-eyes-of-tammy-faye-tick-tick-boom-spider-man-1235057646/

You know how actors are, they'll deny they're playing a certain character despite all the evidence to the contrary because of NDAs.

See Jason Momoa, Tatiana Maslany, et al.

It has got to be the weirdest denial I've heard though.

But it’s important for me to say on the record that this is not something I’m aware I am involved in.

What, are you suggesting you may have filmed the part in your sleep? ROTFLMAO

Is there audio in that Garfield clip? I tried running it through browser and a handful of Twitter apps but am not hearing anything.  Couldn’t that just be some B-roll from the making of one of Garfield’s Spider-mens ?

(clearly he and Maguire are going to be in it, but that doesn’t look like a smoking gun to me)

There's no audio, no.

It matches up with the earlier leak of a photo of him by Tobey Maguire, in which he's in the same pose. Also, from what I remember from watching behind-the-scenes videos, they used green screen and not blue screen in both TASM films, presumably because of the blue in the suit. (That actually raises a good point re. this, but they more or less eliminated the need for a particular type of screen because they're just going to CGI the suits anyway, and it looks like TOm's suits don't have blue in them for this film)

Somebody lip read him, and though they couldn't make out everything, part of what he's saying is apparently "you're Spider-Man".

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

Couldn’t that just be some B-roll from the making of one of Garfield’s Spider-mens ?

(clearly he and Maguire are going to be in it, but that doesn’t look like a smoking gun to me)

It doesn’t look like any scene from TASM or TASM2. Nor does it look like a deep fake either.