The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, this Hawkeye show looks pretty funny.

Enough with these shows and movies being "funny"! Can't we have some earnestness in the multiplexes again?!

The Greeks had it right: one comedy for every three tragedies; not the other way around.

When asked if Doctor Strange is the new leader of the Avengers, Cumberbatch's answer was: 

"I'd have to think about that one."

Does that sound like a 'yes'?

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Enough with these shows and movies being "funny"! Can't we have some earnestness in the multiplexes again?!

The Greeks had it right: one comedy for every three tragedies; not the other way around.

Marvel movies are usually funny the way The Wrath of Khan was funny. There are a lot of jokes but I wouldn't call them "funny" movies. With exceptions to be sure. But then Guardians 2 ended with Rocket crying at a funeral.

Going from the trailer this is a series about a man dealing with the aftermath of the time when his family was missing for five years and he went on an underworld killing spree. And as a consequence will be separated from said family again.

Laugh riot.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

There are a lot of jokes but I wouldn't call them "funny" movies.

That's funny, from where I'm sitting 90% of Marvel movies are action-comedies.

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's funny, from where I'm sitting 90% of Marvel movies are action-comedies.

Not an incorrect label. And I'd be far more willing (because, you know, reality) to call Ant-Man a comedy than the good Thor movies (zing!) or even Infinity War.

If I look back at my favorite movies all of them make me laugh fairly often. (The Sting, Casablanca, Star Wars.) Few of them are comedies.

There aren't many movies that I love (Lawrence of Arabia, Master and Commander) that are nearly laugh-free.

On 14/09/2021 at 8:10 AM, Chen G. said:

I hear the run this is inspired on is earnest and good, but I haven't read it.

Marvel Studios is Currently Developing 31 MCU Projects

The article comes with a list of 18 things so that's 13 things unknown

SERIES

• Ms. Marvel – 2022 (Post-Production)
  • Moon Knight – 2022 (Filming)
  • She-Hulk – 2022 (Filming)
  • Secret Invasion – 2022 (Pre-Production)
  • The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special – December 2022
  • Ironheart – TBA
  • Armor Wars – TBA
  • Loki Season 2 – TBA
  • What If…? Season 2 – TBA

FILM

• Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness – March 25, 2022 (Post-Production)
  • Thor: Love and Thunder – May 6, 2022 (Post-Production)
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – July 8, 2022 (Filming)
  • The Marvels – November 11, 2022 (Filming)
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania – February 17, 2023 (Filming)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 – May 5, 2023 (Pre-Production)
  • Fantastic Four – TBA
  • Blade – TBA
  • Deadpool 3 – TBA

On 1/10/21 at 2:09 AM, AC1 said:

Scarlett Johansson: “I am happy to have resolved our differences with Disney.”

https://deadline.com/2021/09/disney-black-widow-lawsuit-scarlett-johansson-rsettlement-1234847437/

What a surprise. 😉

There was no other way out for them:  settle or air their dirty laundry publicly (and show proof of concept to any other potential plaintiffs they bilked).  Obviously you settle.

• 2 weeks later...

John Murphy is reteaming with James Gunn for Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3. Not sure what the deal is with Tyler Bates but it appears he no longer has any high profile gigs.

Here's the new dates:

Doctor Strange was originally set to release on March 25, 2022, and will now release two months later on May 6, 2022, pushing Thor: Love and Thunder off of the date. The Thor sequel now has a July 8, 2022 date, which was originally occupied by Wakanda Forever. As a result, Back Panther 2 will now release November 11, 2022.

Other delays include The Marvels moving from November 11, 2022, to February 17, 2023, which was previously held by Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Due to the move, the Paul Rudd action-comedy will now release on July 28, 2023.

Additionally, two untitled Marvel films have now been removed from the schedule, while another untitled Marvel film set for November 10, 2023, is now set to release on November 3, 2023.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1198083-marvel-delays-doctor-strange-2-thor-love-and-thunder-black-panther-2-and-more

It gets time for a good new Marvel movie. So far I am really dissapointed by phase IV.

I think, the only thing, that I really enjoyed particularly since "Endgame" was "The Falcon and the Winder Soldier".

13 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

It gets time for a good new Marvel movie. So far I am really dissapointed by phase IV.

I think, the only thing, that I really enjoyed particularly since "Endgame" was "The Falcon and the Winder Soldier".

You know it's not going well when people are starting to enjoy DC more than Marvel.

10 minutes ago, KK said:

Critics don't seem to impressed with Eternals...so much for saving cinema...

RT score is currently sitting at 72%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eternals

The trailers were already quite alarming.

4 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Nomadland was the most disappointing best picture winner since Moonlight.  

I agree ... and I like social dramas.

8 minutes ago, AC1 said:

The trailers were already quite alarming.

Indeed. Looked like any generic Marvel fare...but usually that stuff guarantees high RT scores, so I'm surprised by this.

Maybe this is finally the first sign of Marvel fatigue?

12 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Moonlight is great! Nomadland is meh and indeed vastly overhyped.

10 minutes ago, KK said:

Indeed. Looked like any generic Marvel fare...but usually that stuff guarantees high RT scores, so I'm surprised by this.

Speaking as an "MCU guy" (as in, I see them all and basically enjoy them all for what they are but don't like obsess about the minutiae in my spare time), I think not.  If this RT score held (which I bet it won't, a lot more mainstream critic reviews to come) then it would just be on a comparable level with Age of Ultron and the 2nd Thor.  Disappointments the company survived!

52 minutes ago, KK said:

Captain Marvel (Marvel goes Star Trek) was the first sign of it. If there hadn't been Endgame since then it would have been a pure chain of disappointments. Sorry to say that.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Nomadland and Moonlight are good! Not close to being the best films of their respective years, but both well above the level the Academy usually prefers.