The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

If there hadn't been Endgame since then it would have been a pure chain of disappointments. Sorry to say that.

I liked Captain Marvel more than Black Panther. And Shang-Chi was terrific. 

I loved Nomadland, it was fantastic. This looks quite boring, but I rarely dislike a Marvel movie, so I'm sure it'll be worth a cinema trip. 

I have no strong feelings about Eternals, beyond the fact that like pretty much every comic book movie I’ve seen that wasn’t directed by Zack Snyder, I’ll probably think it’s fun.

With that said, 75% means that three out of every four critics liked it!  I like tons of movies that have a lower tomato score than that.  Batman 89 does!  I watch horror movies.  Meanwhile there are plenty of 90+% movies that are boring as sin.  Review aggregators are only so useful - and once you factor in user reviews, especially on contentious zeitgeisty films, they’re all but useless.

It’s hard to gauge what the reviewer means by that. It seems like they’re talking about the mythic nature of the story during that section.  My problem with Snyder’s superhero movies is that they are largely joyless.  Real edgelord slogs, regardless of what the actual story is.  Hopefully this isn’t like that!

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

My problem with Snyder’s superhero movies is that they are largely joyless.  

I'm quite okay with not every superhero movie being full of joy. Diversity is one of the joys of life.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

That and the boring scores.

Aren't they all?

On 27/10/21 at 7:49 PM, Edmilson said:

With only 65% on Rotten Tomatoes, Eternals is one of the MCU's lowest ratings, tied with Thor: The Dark World.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eternals

I really don’t see how that’s possible given how The Dark World is unwatchable.

3 hours ago, toothless said:

I really don’t see how that’s possible given how The Dark World is unwatchable.

Thor: The Dark World is the best Thor movie. It just has a worthless villain. But it's got the best Thor / Loki scenes. It's got the best Thor / Odin scenes. The supporting cast actually has something to do. Asgard feels like a place that has people in it.

I didn't get why people loved Loki so much until T:TDR.

Thor Ragnarok was well made and funny as hell, but it kinda hates Thor. If Waititi had made Endgame there would have been a laugh line after Tony snapped his fingers.

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

Thor: The Dark World is the best Thor movie. It just has a worthless villain. But it's got the best Thor / Loki scenes. It's got the best Thor / Odin scenes. The supporting cast actually has something to do. Asgard feels like a place that has people in it.

Thor Ragnarok was well made and funny as hell, but it kinda hates Thor. If Waititi had made Endgame there would have been a laugh line after Tony snapped his fingers.

why-would-you-say-something-so-controversial-yet-so-brave.gif

3 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

why-would-you-say-something-so-controversial-yet-so-brave.gif

Heh. Practice?

The part I can't figure out is that T:TDR's worst failing is an under served villain played by a terrific actor and a fairly nonsensical third act. When TDW was released that was largely Marvel's go-to move. So why the unique hate? It's certainly not Iron Man 2.

14 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Blank Check listener? Or just fellow TDW afficionado :))

17 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I don’t particularly like Ragnarok either. 

On 29/10/2021 at 8:03 AM, Tallguy said:

The best Thor movie is Thor. TDW is, in my opinion, borderline unwatchable and Ragnarok overrated. And I agree with you that the film doesn't have much use for its main character.  

18 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

DW is, in my opinion, borderline unwatchable

I remember that film, but I don't remember almost anything of what happened in it.

And that's not just the passage of time: I remember when it ended I barely fathomed what I'd just watched. A weird movie.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm in the camp that thinks Ragnarok is a tad overrated and even I think it's easily the best Thor movie (thus far).

I agree with this. Ragnarok may be the "best" Thor movie, but it's far from the masterpiece Marvel fanatics think it is. The climax is one of the most boring ever for a MCU movie, which are already known for having CGI borefest as their final battles. 

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I agree with this. Ragnarok may be the "best" Thor movie, but it's far from the masterpiece Marvel fanatics think it is. The climax is one of the most boring ever for a MCU movie, which are already known for having CGI borefest as their final battles. 

It's both hugely entertaining and weirdly boring. I get really into it when Hulk gets to fight the big wolf, or when Thor loses his eye. But it's one of those final Marvel battles that feel less fun then the rest of the movie. See also Shang-Chi. 

I would laugh my ass off if, when the dust settles, more critics liked Venom: Let There Be Carnage than Eternals ROTFLMAO

Feige is lucky to have captured lightning in a bottle as many times as he has. Sooner or later there was going to be that one movie that proved he couldn't do it every time.

They say Eternals is bland, which is exactly what I thought about Nomadland. I just didn't care and I think it's going to be the same with Eternals.

I think critics reviewed this movie too early. It should be a few days before the release as all these reviews just negatively impact people.

In general I think people should make up their own minds but now the narrative is that it’s terrible without anyone having seen it (besides said critics).

8 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

In general I think people should make up their own minds 

It's too expensive to watch every movie.

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

:lol2:ROTFLMAO:lick:

eternals rt.PNG

Venom 2 RT.PNG

For the first time I'm actually rooting for Venom to get the better rating.

Look how much people (in America) adore those Venon movies. In Europe we find them unwatchable.

On 02/11/2021 at 6:58 AM, AC1 said:

58%

Apparently Eternals is the Marvel movie with the lowest score on RT.

48%

They call Chloé Zhao the Zack Snyder of Marvel.

OTOH, the audience's score on RT is 81%

55 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

That is pretty cool. Now I can watch Infinity War and Endgame in their original IMAX aspect ratio.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

They put Green Goblin on the official poster

730miammeay71.jpg

This is going to be a fun and wild ride.

I thought the first two MCU Spider-Man had especially cool, interesting villains with two great actors, so actually I'm not sure how I feel about the third one being a spiderverse thing involving taking villains from the old ones.  Either way, my butt's in that seat day one.