The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

On 01/11/2021 at 12:23 AM, Jules said:

It's both hugely entertaining and weirdly boring. I get really into it when Hulk gets to fight the big wolf, or when Thor loses his eye. But it's one of those final Marvel battles that feel less fun then the rest of the movie. See also Shang-Chi. 

a problem is the two plots are so disconnected. even thematically. the trash planet is the fun movie. Asgard suffers because they never built a world with a personality, the heroes simply aren't there, Thor never directly confronts the backstory stuff Hela talks about, and in the end it's going a bit through the motions.  Additionaly composite-character-Hela is less interesting to me that comic-Hela, who is closer to Hela-Hela. The Asgard ploit is so contrived that Hela is chasing for a sword to make the bridge work, except she has the spear and it works as shown in the first movie... In the end I'm being given half a movie I like.

And Tom's still denying it ROTFLMAO(I know he probably has to, NDAs and all that, but the timing of these right on the day interviews are published is amusing)

Tom did confirm Jamie Foxx himself, but it's a bit late for that, because Jamie Foxx confirmed Jamie Foxx ages ago.

12 hours ago, Giftheck said:

And Tom's still denying it ROTFLMAO(I know he probably has to, NDAs and all that, but the timing of these right on the day interviews are published is amusing)

Tom did confirm Jamie Foxx himself, but it's a bit late for that, because Jamie Foxx confirmed Jamie Foxx ages ago.

Actually the first Tom Holland Spidey movie I'm excited to see. Homecoming was disappointing and I skipped out seeing Far from Home theatrically.

Let’s just agree to disagree that those photos are fake. What happened to just eagerly waiting in anticipation for a film? People have to resort to this? Personally, I think those are fake; I’m excited to see this film, but I don’t believe in “leaks.” I’ve never payed attention to “leaks” nor took them at face value. Just wait to see the film and enjoy the twists and surprises that await. I know I will. Oh, and Al Pacino will be playing Mephisto in the film :P.

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

They’re fakes to keep us on our toes.  The actual actors on set were Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, and Scarlett Johansson.

Tom Holland has been a Robert Downy mocap performance this whole time!

Tom Holland talks to Total Film: "It's three generations coming together"

"Everyone puts their trousers on in the same way in the morning," he says. "It was interesting having those guys come in because they have a certain ownership over Spider-Man in their own way, and..." He pauses. Our Spidey-senses start tingling. "I’m talking about Alfred and Jamie and those guys. To see Alfred come in, and have to adapt and change to the way that the films are made, but also change director, and also [the fact that] I’m now Spider-Man. It was really interesting to see these actors adapt and change what they were doing to fit the modern era."

Was that a slip of the tongue? Holland clarifies: "People don’t believe me when I say that [Maguire and Garfield] are not coming back. But people are going to have to believe me at some point." He laughs. "It means a lot to me. The first time you see Doc and the rest of the characters that come back, it’s so exciting – and it’s such a huge moment in cinematic history. It’s three generations coming together."

Tom, mate... after this movie, nobody is ever going to believe a word you say again ROTFLMAO

Personally, I don't really care :lol: It's just fun to poke fun at what he said :P

What would be even funnier is if he genuinely believed it and found out the same time we saw the film :lol:. After all, he's not been in any of the leaked BTS shots with them so far (the shot above is a post-production shot). "Darn, Tom's a big blabbermouth, so we'd better not actually film him with those two, otherwise it'll be out in the press tomorrow. Don't tell him about them either."

What's weird though is these leaks are really well-timed. The unfinished trailer leaked the same day the actual trailer did. The video of Andrew Garfield leaked the same day he publicly said he wasn't in it. Those photos above leaked at about the same time the Total Film article was published.

The composition is middle of the road (and par for the course). But the compositing of the images literally looks like the kind of photoshop that would be parodied in a Spider-Man movie. 

This looks to be a very fun and wild ride, with a hint of dread to it. Perhaps a major character may not get out of this alive? I look forward to seeing this opening night and opening weekend. Plus, I do believe Michael Giacchino will have great fun with the score.

Huh. Looks like Holland will be sidelined in his own movie once again for sure. And it doesn't look like the villains will be teaming up to form a Sinister Six either 

19 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

This looks to be a very fun and wild ride, with a hint of dread to it. Perhaps a major character may not get out of this alive? I look forward to seeing this opening night and opening weekend. Plus, I do believe Michael Giacchino will have great fun with the score.

He's going to be quoting a lot of Elfman, Zimmer and Horner material if he's reverential to the films before the MCU Spidey.

Why Sony hasn't finally acknowledged that

Spoiler

Tobey and Andrew are in the film

is beyond me. It's the worst kept secret in Hollywood.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh. Looks like Holland will be sidelined in his own movie once again for sure.

I honestly don't agree with that observation. I always figured Peter Parker (Tom Holland) was the primary focus of Homecoming and Far from Home. The same goes with this.

I thought the seven hundred villains multiverse story sounded clunky and over busy, and I’m still fairly convinced of that after this preview.  BUT, trying to save the villains from being killed by their Spider-men is a pretty neat framework.

A thought…

I think that the two trailers lay out the first act of the film pretty well: Holland-Spidey regrets the world knowing he's Peter Parker, Strange casts a spell to make them forget, somethings goes wrong and villains from Tobey and Garfield's films show up

I don't really see how things proceed in the 2nd and 3rd act from there, and don't read leaks or anything, but I have some predictions

I think eventually non-villains from Tobey and Garfield's films show up too.  I'm hoping for a little cameo from Elizabeth Banks' Betty Brant, Bryce Dallas Howard's Gwen Stacy, maybe two versions of JK Simmons' J Jonah Jameson having a scene together, anything like that would be fun.

I don't think Tobey and Garfield will show up until the 3rd act, and there will be an overlong final battle where different groups of heroes and villains are fighting in different spots at different times.

And I think eventually Zendaya's MJ will be in mortal peril, falling to her death, but Andrew Garfield's spidey will save her, to get closure for how he couldn't save Emma Stone's Gwen.

No idea how it will all end, or what it will set up for future MCU-Spidey or Sony-Spidey stuff

Having not read the spoilers if they exist, I suspect that not everything will get mopped up in this one - which would lead us directly to Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness.  A decent enough move for a franchise spanning dozens of movies, but probably an irritant to people who like their movies to be fairly self-contained.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think that the two trailers lay out the first act of the film pretty well: Holland-Spidey regrets the world knowing he's Peter Parker, Strange casts a spell to make them forget, somethings goes wrong and villains from Tobey and Garfield's films show up

I don't really see how things proceed in the 2nd and 3rd act from there, and don't read leaks or anything, but I have some predictions

I think eventually non-villains from Tobey and Garfield's films show up too.  I'm hoping for a little cameo from Elizabeth Banks' Betty Brant, Bryce Dallas Howard's Gwen Stacy, maybe two versions of JK Simmons' J Jonah Jameson having a scene together, anything like that would be fun.

I don't think Tobey and Garfield will show up until the 3rd act, and there will be an overlong final battle where different groups of heroes and villains are fighting in different spots at different times.

And I think eventually Zendaya's MJ will be in mortal peril, falling to her death, but Andrew Garfield's spidey will save her, to get closure for how he couldn't save Emma Stone's Gwen.

No idea how it will all end, or what it will set up for future MCU-Spidey or Sony-Spidey stuff

I was reading a Reddit thread about spoilers for this movie. And watching this second trailer confirmed what they revealed.

Spoiler

Reportedly, Andrew and Tobey arrive in the movie around the second act. That big action shot in the second trailer edits out Tobey-Peter and Andrew-Peter.

Sony just refuses to acknowledge the elephant in the room regarding certain plot elements of the movie. 

I call it the "blue balls" trailer.

42 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Having not read the spoilers if they exist, I suspect that not everything will get mopped up in this one - which would lead us directly to Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness.  A decent enough move for a franchise spanning dozens of movies, but probably an irritant to people who like their movies to be fairly self-contained.

That's probably true, isn't it, didn't think of that!

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The movie will be the movie, regardless of the marketing campaign

Absolutely true and a very good point.

I still remember how all the trailers and posters gave away that Hulk is a secondary main character in Thor 3, but in the movie itself, there is literally no hints or foreshadowing that he'll be in it, and the moment he shows up is a total surprise to the other characters...and the viewer if they had avoided all trailers and posters (and probably the home video cover lol)

Had to look her up cause she wasn't familiar to me.  Turns out I've seen two things she was in (Ender's Game and Charlie's Angels) but I don't recall one thing about her in either one

"No. It's Katniss Everdeen." Bwaaahahaha.

Spider-Man: I cannot see how they can be this close to the film without saying "Come give us ALL of the money because there are three Spider-Folk!"

I think it's time to admit it ain't happening.

Girl in Hawkeye: Didn't realize she was in Ender's Game. She was good in Bumblebee (the only good Transformers movie).

True Grit is probably one of my favorite movies, although I don’t want to rewatch it in case it dampens that feeling!

She was also great in Edge of Seventeen, especially if you’re like me with a predilection for teen coming of age movies.