The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Had to look her up cause she wasn't familiar to me.  Turns out I've seen two things she was in (Ender's Game and Charlie's Angels) but I don't recall one thing about her in either one

She voices Gwen in the Spider-Verse movie and one character in the new League of Legends show as well

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Been on my "to watch" list forever

It's pretty good! She was like 14 at the time.

I've seen the Spider-verse movie, but didn't "see" her in that :p

Never seen League of Legends; I've never seen her in anything other than what I mentioned

Happy Thanksgiving! This poster for Spider-Man: No Way Home is by far the best one; this should be the definitive poster. I like that it has kind of a Drew Struzan inspired look to it.

Spider-Man_No_Way_Home_JP_Poster.jp2

I love the fact that these three actors had so much fun with this film, and the camaraderie between them shows. Also, they may be teasing that, out of all the villains, Green Goblin will be the greatest threat.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

Also, they may be teasing that, out of all the villains, Green Goblin will be the greatest threat.

Spoiler

From what I've heard, that is absolutely the case.

So what do we think of the MCU composers for Phase 4 so far and who do we want for the upcoming ones?

Film

1. Black Widow - Alexandre Desplat Lorne Balfe
  2. Shang-Chi - Joel P. West
  3. The Eternals - Ramin Djawadi
  4. Spider-man 3 - Michael Giacchino
  5. Doctor Strange 2 - Danny Elfman
  6. Thor 4 - Michael Giacchino
  7. Black Panther 2 - Ludwig Göransson
  8. Captain Marvel 2 - ??? (Pinar Toprak & Michael Giacchino scored the first)
  9. Gaurdians of the Galaxy 3 (John Murphy)
  10. Ant-man 3 - ??? (Christophe Beck scored the first two)
  11. Fantastic Four - ??? (directed by Jon Watts, who directed all three MCU Spider-man films that Giacchino scored)

TV

1. WandaVision - Christophe Beck
  2. Falcon & Winter Soldier - Henry Jackman
  3. Loki - Natalie Holt
  4. What If? - Laura Karpman
  5. Hawkeye - Christophe Beck & Michael Paraskevas
  6. Moon Knight - ???
  7. She-Hulk - ???
  8. Secret Invasion - ???
  9. Ms. Marvel - ???
  10. Ironheart - ???
  11. Armor Wars - ???
  12. Wakanda  - ???

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

So what do we think of the MCU composers for Phase 4 so far and who do we want for the upcoming ones?

1. Black Widow - Alexandre Desplat Lorne Balfe
  2. Shang-Chi - Joel P. West
  3. The Eternals - Ramin Djawadi
  4. Spider-man 3 - Michael Giacchino
  5. Doctor Strange 2 - Danny Elfman
  6. Thor 4 - Michael Giacchino
  7. Black Panther 2 - Ludwig Göransson
  8. Captain Marvel 2 - ??? (Pinar Toprak & Michael Giacchino scored the first)
  9. Gaurdians of the Galaxy 3 (John Murphy)
  10. Ant-man 3 - ??? (Christophe Beck scored the first two)
  11. Fantastic Four - ??? (directed by Jon Watts, who directed all three MCU Spider-man films that Giacchino scored)

Giacchino did not score Captain Marvel.

But other than that, I like the composers. But would have preferred Giacchino for Dr. Strange and Mothersbaugh for Thor, to keep a bit of continuation

I thought Giacchino came in and wrote some cues for captain Marvel?  Isn't that public knowledge?  Obviously Toprak wrote the majority of the score

EDIT: Gema search confirms Giachino as composer for Captain Marvel cues "I'm All Fired Up", "Kitchen Up", "Stan the Man (Marvel Fanfare)", "A Fond Fire-Wall", and "Does This Suit Me".

https://online.gema.de/werke/search.faces?lang=en

Right.  Toprak wrote most of the score, Giacchino wrote the 5 cues listed on Gema.  Simple.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Actually, looking closer it appears that only "I'm All Fired Up", "Kitchen Up", and "Stan The Man (Marvel Fanfare)" have sole Giacchino credit; "A Fond Fire-Wall" and "Does this Suit Me" are co-composed by both Giacchino and Toprak

30 minutes ago, Jay said:
  • Gaurdians of the Galaxy 3 (John Murphy)
  •  

I was re-watching Guardians Vol. 2 the other day on TV and I was impressed with how good Tyler Bates' score is. It's disappointing Gunn isn't teaming up with him again for the end of the trilogy.

Yea John Murphy scored The Suicide Squad for Gunn as well.  I wonder what happened between him and Bates

Apparently Bates was attached to The Suicide Squad and even wrote music for it before filming, but still left the project and was replaced by Murphy. 

According to Film Music Reporter:

We previously reported earlier this week that Tyler Bates will be scoring the film based on information obtained several months ago. At that time, it was confirmed to us that Bates had written music prior to principal photography for use during the shoot (as he did for the Guardians of the Galaxy movies) and the composer was attached to score the movie, but Bates has departed the movie since.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/05/07/john-murphy-to-score-james-gunns-the-suicide-squad/

Guess he and Gunn disagreed about the score and was replaced. 

Would love to see John Powell working on Fantastic Four.

Brian Tyler for Armor Wars?

Maybe they might give Laura Karpman a go at one of the live action series.

Apparently Letitia Wright, who plays Shuri in the MCU and was supposed to be the protagonist on the upcoming Black Panther sequel, has parted ways with Marvel and Disney. The reason why can't be discussed here in the forum due to the new rules, but you can figure it out on the link below:

https://blacksportsonline.com/2021/12/letitia-wright-done-with-mcu-and-black-panther-wakanda-forever-because-of-vaccine-mandates/

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Apparently Letitia Wright, who plays Shuri in the MCU and was supposed to be the protagonist on the upcoming Black Panther sequel, has parted ways with Marvel and Disney. The reason why can't be discussed here in the forum due to the new rules, but you can figure it out on the link below:

https://blacksportsonline.com/2021/12/letitia-wright-done-with-mcu-and-black-panther-wakanda-forever-because-of-vaccine-mandates/

Check your source next time; this is NOT true.

https://view.email.hollywoodreporter.com/?qs=addba4fe3d9a1a019e86f69923229c5600bf8cb950f6a494e40a22c37d6e3a08ab2530e218c90e2b4a55510675e693b449dc0f6045cbc3bf75cc53d7e79a4cabfb18dcbc1a5068e5

“Letitia Wright and Black Panther 2 started trending Thursday with some rumors coming in from the lowlands. We did some digging and sources close to the production say Panther 2 is indeed on track to resume production in late January in Atlanta. With Wright.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

Check your source next time; this is NOT true.

https://view.email.hollywoodreporter.com/?qs=addba4fe3d9a1a019e86f69923229c5600bf8cb950f6a494e40a22c37d6e3a08ab2530e218c90e2b4a55510675e693b449dc0f6045cbc3bf75cc53d7e79a4cabfb18dcbc1a5068e5

“Letitia Wright and Black Panther 2 started trending Thursday with some rumors coming in from the lowlands. We did some digging and sources close to the production say Panther 2 is indeed on track to resume production in late January in Atlanta. With Wright.

Sure, this is the official version and according to it production is going well, but I think it's a well known fact that Wright was having problems with Disney because she didn't want to be vaxxed. Whether Disney finally convinced her or not (it'd be pretty idiotic to lose a starring role in a major franchise just because she read some fake News online) remains to be seen. 

27 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Sure, this is the official version and according to it production is going well, but I think it's a well known fact that Wright was having problems with Disney because she didn't want to be vaxxed. Whether Disney finally convinced her or not (it'd be pretty idiotic to lose a starring role in a major franchise just because she read some fake News online) remains to be seen. 

I don't have anything official to link to yet (working on it), but if I recall, Black Panther 2 does not have a vaccine mandate for the set. Highly possible that that is incorrect, but that's what I remember hearing recently in relation to this rumor going around.

I believe the vaccine mandate thing more comes from the hospital she's staying at, since she did supposedly sustain some serious injuries while filming that's caused a delay. I imagine she's been forced to comply on the basis that she probably values her own life enough to not die over something that's likely to be temporary (we hope) anyway.

7 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I don't have anything official to link to yet (working on it), but if I recall, Black Panther 2 does not have a vaccine mandate for the set. Highly possible that that is incorrect, but that's what I remember hearing recently in relation to this rumor going around.

Thanks for clarifying. I truly hope it's what you described.

NWH came out on the 15th here in Chile, so I saw it yesterday.

No spoilers, but I thought it was good, a 7 or 8 out of 10 at most. The pacing is a little off, the first hour or so is very slow. I very much enjoyed the last 45 minutes. I did think they tried to cram too much into it though, and some other parts could have been fleshed out more. It definitely would be ranked as one of the better MCU films. The special effects were surprisingly average for a film with this budget. Giacchino's score is largely buried under sound effects, especially in the big set pieces. It concludes the Homecoming trilogy nicely.

I personally think it was one of the best Spider-Man films. It's right up there for me with Spider-Man 2. Too high praise? Maybe, but that's how I feel. Definitely want to see it again.

On 14/12/21 at 7:19 AM, Jay said:

They should have advertised it as a Spidey vs Strange film, and not included the multiverse villains in the trailers and press tours

That was the original plan!  https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-12-14/spider-man-no-way-home-premiere?_amp=true

13 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Is this new movie watchable if you have never seen a Spider-Man movie before? Genuinely curious.

Watchable? I suppose. But there are other Spider-Man movies you could be watching. I never liked Spider-Man 2 but it's considered a classic. If you want Tom Holland-y goodness then watch Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Sometimes I get the impression that superhero movies will eventually suffer the same fate as the superhero comic books: they'll become something niche for small group of devoted fans who have been following them for decades.

For example, you can't just pick any comic book set in the main continuity on the store and reading it without context because they'll have references to events that happened years (and sometimes, decades) ago. You will need to at least search on Reddits and Wikias to really understand the story.

And the same is happening with superhero movies. You can't just watch Avengers: Endgame without having seen most of the previous MCU movies. And the same goes to No Way Home: you'll need to watch at the very least the three Sam Raimi movies, the two Marc Webb flicks, the previous two Tom Holland-starring Spidey films and perhaps Infinity War and Endgame for full context. This is about 16 hours of super-hero hijinks.

It's unlike an Indiana Jones or a (non-Daniel Craig) Bond movie, where you can just pick any of them and press play.

Sure, these movies remain popular thanks to a whole generation growing up with Marvel films so for now much of the audience can understand what is happening, but what happens when the amount of "homework" needed for full context gets bigger and bigger?

From what I can recall that was exactly the same as what I saw in the theater at the end of No Way Home, except they added a spot for the Marvel Studios logo and the final date card 

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

From what I can recall that was exactly the same as what I saw in the theater at the end of No Way Home, except they added a spot for the Marvel Studios logo and the final date card 

True