The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

And the same goes to No Way Home: you'll need to watch at the very least the three Sam Raimi movies, the two Marc Webb flicks, the previous two Tom Holland-starring Spidey films and perhaps Infinity War and Endgame for full context.

Eh. I think you should see the two Tom Holland movies and be aware that there were two other actors who played Spider-Man. My wife had no idea that there even were Andrew Garfield Spider-Man movies.

I think we think that there has to be this huge investment because we already have it. I forget what I was watching... But some big series that I hadn't given any thought too and found myself watching the latest thing. And as I knew that something just landed hard for the people who were invested in it I thought "Ahhhh. This is what happens when normal people watch Pirates of the Caribbean 3!"

Watched the Doctor Strange teaser (I didn't stick around for it when I saw NWH). I'm glad they're addressing my big criticism of his character in NWH, namely that he guilts Peter for the botched spell when it was completely his own fault. Take some responsibility you stupid wizard!

• 2 weeks later...

According to Deadline, Disney lost a lot of money with pirated copies of Black Widow:

Following Black Widow, it was clear that day-and-date leads to a freefall at the box office in the subsequent weekend of a Marvel Cinematic Universe title; the Scarlett Johansson movie weathered the worst second-weekend drop for a Disney-distributed Marvel movie at 68%. The crimping in windows, which of course impacted the star’s bonus, led to the twice-Oscar-nominated actress suing Disney and settling for a reported $40M+.
Adding to the further erosion of box office for any theatrical-day-and-date release on streaming is the fact that these movies are pirated promptly, with clean 4K copies in several languages spread around the world. By the end of August, sources in the know informed us that Black Widow had been pirated more than 20M times. That’s close to a $600M estimated loss on Black Widow in Disney+ PVOD revenue alone.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/2022-box-office-theatrical-streaming-day-date-experiment-1234902774/

45 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

Piracy is bad, but I have no sympathy for the ridiculously large companies complaining about their losses due to piracy. Disney, Microsoft, and the East India Trading Company can all afford to eat a little of their own shit from time to time. 

I’ll agree with you there - although I’d prefer for them to eat that shit in a way that is not also at the expense of the long list of people whose names appear in the credits!

15 minutes ago, mstrox said:

although I’d prefer for them to eat that shit in a way that is not also at the expense of the long list of people whose names appear in the credits!

Well it's not like they only get paid those 0.002 cents of residuals per watch that they wouldn't have gotten anyway without the pirating because the pirates likely still wouldn't have paid for it.

You might need to use two - Amazon dot com and eBay dot com.   I won’t get started on the separate evils of those corporations, but you want a one-stop-shop for some reason.  The other option is of course piracy, in which you get exactly what you want and dream of via theft!

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

theft

Weeeeell theft creates 2 problems for the seller, a) somebody receives their product without paying the seller b) they lose a copy of their product to sell, therefore can't make back their costs and get no profit on it.

For less capitalistically inclined folks, a at its hart seems like selfishness. As for b, piracy creates digital copies so they still have their own to sell. You could argue about a lost hypothetical sale to the pirate if piracy was not an option but that's much more fuzzy and unclear than taking that phone or diamond ring from the store. Especially since piracy is mostly a convenience issue and if getting it was still inconvenient or even impossibley they wouldn't get it anyway. I have firsthand experience with starting to pay for things I was already a fan of thanks to the high seas, after I found convenient options like Steam and GoG or online stores and sales or these small labels actually putting heart into releasing the actual goddamn scores with no randomised short selections and orders and edits and random songs thrown in, and had my own money to spend without having to beg my parents annually for one or two overpriced things to then consume until the next holiday without any greater vision of it all or the ability to join the online discussion and meme and such spheres. Even so, Disney+ and some other streaming services or half their content are just not available here. If these companies just show me their middle fingers, I'll keep showing them mine and won't forget it. Or maybe the pirate finds out the product ain't worth shit and the sell would've been a scam.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

The MCU would be a better place if the "Black Widow" movie didn't exist.

cinema would have been a better place, too.

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

It's been a while since Marvel had a good movie. I don't see how that's going to change in the near future. 

Last month? Are we not counting No Way Home? Then September?

Just saw No Way Home. Had a ton of fun watching it and had my blinders on for the Mack truck size plot holes. One question I had coming away from it is when the multiverse was shredding its way through towards the end was that the same as the multiverse bands tearing through at the end of Loki? Are they connected? They had the same purple look to it. If not then when is Loki’s ending supposed to affect the MCU?

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

No.

Had it up to here with these dumb action-comedies!

As opposed to all the other action comedies you mean? Are there any other genres in the blockbuster world? ;)

Karol

As far as blockbuster franchises go, Avatar, Fast&Furious, Middle Earth, Wizarding World, Jurassic Park, and Nolans films are not really comedic

But yea, most blockbusters are action heavy and one-liner heavy, indeed.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Damn, they dropped Pinar Toprak?  Cold!

Maybe she has an even more prestigious gig that this film's schedule conflicted with

So Lawrence makes six films in a row with James Newton Howard, and now he's switching to Pinar Toprak?

Did Fantastic Beasts 3 commitments prevent them from having a 7th collaboration?

Fantastic Beasts has been recorded already but I'm not sure when this Lawrence movie is out. I hope they work together again as their collaborations have always been interesting but I'm disappointed that he isn't doing Slumberland as the musical opportunity would have been perfect for JNH.

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Why isn't Shang Chi a good movie, exactly?

It was okay until they reached the secret or magical village. From that moment on the dialogue, story and direction all got worse. I don't remember the specifics but it felt like another director stepped in and took over.

On the other hand, I watched Eternals yesterday and it's better than I expected. I mean, it was mostly okay from start to finish. There are of course too many characters and the monsters, on their turn, have no character. At least the monsters looked better than what I remember from the trailer. More interesting was ...  

Spoiler

... the conflict within the group

MV5BNjYzZjM2YzMtYWZhYS00YmE3LWIwZDQtZTNm

6/10

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Just like Dune would make a perfect candidate for a TV series! 

It would, yeah. But with the new versions' production values. 

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It would, yeah. But with the new versions' production values. 

Karol

That's the problem. Each episode would cost $50 million.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

It was okay until they reached the secret or magical village. From that moment on the dialogue, story and direction all got worse. I don't remember the specifics but it felt like another director stepped in and took over.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I know, but I meant Villeneuve's Dune, of course. Like I said, the movie felt very episodic like a TV series (think Game Of Thrones) and I don't want to wait two years for the next episode. I want it to be the next evening. Maybe it will allow me to connect to the characters a bit more. 

Just finished Eternals today. And my impression is, they changed the way here like they staged the fight scenes in these movies. Until Endgame the hand to hand fights were dun by martial arts artists and stunt (wo)men, the actors did the posing plus a little CGI support. In Eternals it looked like the actors were doing the fighting themselves and the rest was done by the computer. The result is really bad. I remember the fight scenes in Civil War were really spectacular. Now these pure CGI fights are so dump. These films are really losing an important asset by this approach.

On 14/01/2022 at 1:35 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean, I prefer the first two acts to the CGI-heavy third act myself, but I wouldn't call the latter "very stupid". Certainly nothing like the disappointment I felt with the stupid climax of Wonder Woman...

Yavar

I wouldn't mind being responsible for Gal Gadot having a 'climax', even if if was stupid. 

Ahem. 

The Moon Knight show doesn't look good.

From what I've seen on the internet, Moon Knight is one of Marvel's darkest and most violent heroes. But since this is Disney+ he'll just be a crazy guy. Gotta keep it family friendly.