The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

This was far too dark for me. I’ve been reading through Marvel Comics on Marvel Unlimited, starting with the All-New, All Different era (circa 2014 ish I think). Moon Knight was in there, and it was easily some of the darkest stuff they published, including The Punisher and Jessica Jones.  Seems quite true to the source material. But I love the MCU for the fun and escapism. This offers nothing like that for me. 

The Falcon And The Winter Soldier

I finally watched this a few months back but forgot to mention it.  I dunno why I didn't watch it when it first came out, but I am glad I finally caught up with it - I ended up liking it the most of of all the MCU shows (well, this was before Hawkeye started, and I still haven't seen What If, so I guess that means I liked it more than Wanda and Loki)

I thought the story was good, the characters were good, the interaction between them was good, and the action was extremely impressive, absolutely full on movie quality level.  And it all led somewhere and wasn't just about the action, I liked Falcon's big speech at the end of everything.

I am a bit iffy on what they did to Sharon Carter, but she was so underdeveloped anyway, it was nice they gave her SOMETHING.

Wyatt Russel was super good as the new Captain America, and I love that him and Valentina teamed up at the end.  The Flag Smashers were a decent bad guy, but it's a bummer their virus plotline had to be completely removed.  Even bringing back Zemo worked.  The only time the show go boring was the stuff with Falcon trying to get a loan for the family or whatever, just went on too long.  Most of the time, the show was just great!

On 14/01/2022 at 8:55 PM, GerateWohl said:

Just finished Eternals today. And my impression is, they changed the way here like they staged the fight scenes in these movies. Until Endgame the hand to hand fights were dun by martial arts artists and stunt (wo)men, the actors did the posing plus a little CGI support. In Eternals it looked like the actors were doing the fighting themselves and the rest was done by the computer. The result is really bad. I remember the fight scenes in Civil War were really spectacular. Now these pure CGI fights are so dump. These films are really losing an important asset by this approach.

The good old days:

The only release that brought back a glimpse of that glory after Endgame was "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier".

Somehow the fights in Eternals didn't bother me. Perhaps that's because their power is more hocus pocus (based on somekind of energy) than physical. Or maybe it's because the Eternals are more like Supes. Who knows? But I didn't really notice any sloppy or clumsy moves. 

56 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Did they replace Boseman?

They haven't replaced Boseman. And they won't replace Boseman for the T'Challa we've seen so far. This film will really focus on Wakanda as a nation. And Namor has quite a significant role. I believe this film will sort of be Wakanda V. Atlantis.

But who knows, maybe we'll see a variant of T'Challa in the future. But don't expect to see him played by a different actor in Black Panther 2.

The mantel of Black Panther will probably go to somebody else, just like it's passed onto different characters in the comics.

38 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm still depressed about Boseman passing away.

Total bummer😞

It's sad that someone so young has to die but it's not like he's irreplaceable.

9 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It's sad that someone so young has to die but it's not like he's irreplaceable.

Maybe they felt it would be seen as cynical and disrespectful to replace him in the next film (like with The Joker appearing in TDKR).

So, a different focus makes sense

Sam Raimi has been interviewed by Variety about his Marvel movies. This is what he said about No Way Home:

“It was so much fun,” Raimi said. “I love ‘No Way Home’ and the audience I was with went crazy. It was delightful to watch Alfred play his role, and Willem Dafoe, just seeing these guys take it to the next level. And Tobey was awesome as always. The best word I can say is it was refreshing for me.”

Weirdly, he didn't mention Thomas Haden Church.

About Doctor Strange 2, he said:

In terms of Raimi’s next directorial project, the sequel to “Doctor Strange,” the filmmaker wasn’t as willing to reveal details. He did share an uncertainty if the film was done filming, responding to reports that the Benedict Cumberbatch-starring sequel faced “significant reshoots” back in November.

“I wish I knew the answer to that question,” Raimi said, responding to the question of whether the movie was complete. “I think we’re done, but we just cut everything. We’re just starting to test the picture and we’ll find out if there’s anything that’s got to be picked up. If something’s unclear or another improvement I can make in this short amount of time left, I’ll do it. One thing I know about the Marvel team is they won’t stop. They’ll keep pushing it until it’s as close to being great as it could.”

He also said about his relationship with Marvel:

“Marvel’s been a great team to work with,” Raimi continued. “I think that was a not-surprising surprise. I’ve been super-supported by the whole Marvel operations, starting at the top with Kevin Feige, and working all the way down to the crews that they work with. [They’re] super professional and have supported me every step of the way.”

Source: https://variety.com/2022/film/actors/sam-raimi-spiderman-no-way-home-doctor-strange-2-1235162280/

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Weirdly, he didn't mention Thomas Haden Church.

Church (and Ifans) only provided voice work for No Way Home; On set, other actors did the mo-cap work (and presumably said their lines), and the footage of them reverting to their human selves was re-used from their original films

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/2/2022 at 7:10 PM, Jay said:

This looks like a thrilling, scary, bonkers and wild ride. I consider the Multiverse like a dominoes set. WandaVision and Loki gathered the dominoes; What If showed the potential; Spider-Man: No Way Home set the dominoes up. Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is going to knock the dominoes down.

Looking forward to seeing this.

Haven't watched it myself, but apparently this Superb Owl spot has some different footage than the full trailer

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm going dark on Strange 2, didn't watch the new trailer or anything.

I keep saying I'm going to do that. I never manage it though. 

My brother somehow managed to see Civil War without knowing Spider-Man was in it! 

The Dr Strange 2 trailer is pretty good.  The music was obnoxious, but the visuals were on point - Sam Raimi still knows how to bring something new to the cinema!  He seems like a great choice for this film.  I wonder if Feige will develop another project for him if this is a hit

15 hours ago, Jay said:

The Dr Strange 2 trailer is pretty good.  The music was obnoxious, but the visuals were on point - Sam Raimi still knows how to bring something new to the cinema!  He seems like a great choice for this film.  I wonder if Feige will develop another project for him if this is a hit

And the biggest question is: Which part will Bruce Campbell play?

In the multiverse of madness he could even appear as Ash with a chainsaw at his arm.

According to data obtained by RelishMix (via Deadline), the Doctor Strange 2 trailer was officially the most-viewed trailer released during Super Bowl LVI. Multiverse of Madness’ trailer garnered 93.12 million views across all channels in its first 24 hours online. Following not-so-close behind in view was Jurassic World: Dominion with 86.82 million views, and Amazon's Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power series with 80.34 million. Then, the numbers drops significantly to The Adam Project’s 32.2 million.

https://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-2-trailer-super-bowl-most-viewed/

• 2 weeks later...

I also have no idea who it could be. The people that work behind the camera on ths show have had different composers on all their projects.

With an announcement this late, just like with Obi-Wan, I do have a feeling it's somewhat of a bigger name.

But of course it could be that they pick someone new like Natalie Holt on Loki

13 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I also have no idea who it could be. The people that work behind the camera on ths show have had different composers on all their projects.

With an announcement this late, just like with Obi-Wan, I do have a feeling it's somewhat of a bigger name.

But of course it could be that they pick someone new like Natalie Holt on Loki

Jon Ekstrand's long time collaborator and his music editor was listed on imdb as the music editor for the show for some time now