The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

19 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Looks fun. It is just a shame Mark Mothersbaugh isn't coming back. And yes, I know he's had a tough time recently.

Karol

Pretty sure he scored Mitchells vs. The Machines after his COVID bout and definitely the newest Hotel Transylvania, so it's not like he didn't get back to work.  I think Giacchino is just Waititi's "guy" at least for now.

I think the heavy synth bits were great in Ragnarok, but otherwise the score didn’t thrill me.  Not that Giacchino has been thrilling me of late either.  I expect another adequate Marvel score.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I think the heavy synth bits were great in Ragnarok, but otherwise the score didn’t thrill me.  Not that Giacchino has been thrilling me of late either.  I expect another adequate Marvel score.

I'm not a fan of the theme but Mothersbaugh at least does some fun stuff with it. Hela's theme makes up for lacklustre Thor theme. There's some really solid meaty orchestral stuff in there. I particularly like this cue:

And yes, the synth stuff is actually good. I like how this score really establish its own sonic world. It's not subtle but at least features the kind of grand colourful zany comic book bombast not heard since Goldenthal's Batman scores. Probably one of the finest Marvel scores and perfect match for Waititi's antics. 😀

Karol

14 hours ago, AC1 said:

Funny, someone pushed the vibrance/saturation slider all the way to 10 and suddenly people say it looks good. It doesn't!

Fine, let's just make it more Snydery:

FQobVY2UcAMkRSa.jpeg

Karol 

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/04/22/music-from-disneylands-avengers-campus-released/

Hollywood Records & Marvel Music have released music written for the Avengers Campus, which opened last year at Disney California Adventure. The music is arranged and produced by John Paesano (Daredevil, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, The Maze Runner, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, Invincible, Diary of a Wimpy Kid) who combined themes from the films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (including Alan Silvestri’s Avengers theme, Michael Giacchino’s Spider-Man & Doctor Strange themes, Tyler Bates’ Guardians of the Galaxy theme, Christophe Beck’s Ant-Man theme, Pinar Toprak’s Captain Marvel theme and Ludwig Göransson’s Black Panther theme) to play as visitors move throughout the the different sections of the park. The 12-minute track, entitled Welcome Recruits, is now available to stream/download on all major digital music platforms, including Amazon.

Suite is absolutely wonderful! Added choir to Avengers theme at 0:45 was something I was missing since Endgame. The other  themes are also rendered beautifully here.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Shame they charge for it the same they would for an album full of music. In the UK, the lossless download is £13.99. 🙄

Karol

That's nuts!

On 20/4/2022 at 12:21 PM, Jay said:

Natalie Portman version of the poster with a different tagline :)

Is it a new thing now for movie posters not to ever show credit blocks? Like as if the teaser poster style we’ve known for decades (in contrast with the “official” poster style with block) is now the only style studios now use to advertise movies?

On 18/04/2022 at 6:57 PM, crocodile said:

Very Flash Gordon. I like it.

Karol

Actually, I find it much more reminiscent of He-Man and The Masters of the Universe, specially the font style on the movie title:

324-3248272_transparent-masters-of-the-u

Moon Knight 1x04 The Tomb

I am not surprised at all to come here and see none of you have discussed it.  I was largely bored by this episode, really almost completely tuning out at one point.  I guess the end part in the mental institute was slightly interesting, but then it was really just a rehash of the LIES storyline from John Byrne's NEXT MEN in the end.  Ho hum.  I'm starting to think this show is going to end up in C territory, not B...

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Moon Knight 1x04 The Tomb

I am not surprised at all to come here and see none of you have discussed it.  I was largely bored by this episode, really almost completely tuning out at one point.  I guess the end part in the mental institute was slightly interesting, but then it was really just a rehash of the LIES storyline from John Byrne's NEXT MEN in the end.  Ho hum.  I'm starting to think this show is going to end up in C territory, not B...

I really enjoyed all episodes so far, and if anything after the first two I wish they'd slow things down a bit!

My wife read that Oscar Isaac agreed to take on the role based on being specifically impressed with the content of Episode 5...so I'm really excited for it.

Yavar

I liked it for the first 3 episodes well enough, but then 4 really had a different feel to it

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I liked it for the first 3 episodes well enough, but then 4 really had a different feel to it

I assume you just missed the suit/superpowers/superhero angle. Like people who dislike Iron Man 3 because Tony Stark spends so much of the film out of the suit, bereft of powers. Personally I tend to love that stuff. I'm sure the next episode (or at least the final episode) will be more up your alley.

Yavar

Nope, nothing to do with the suit or superpowers at all.  It was just a boring episode.  Which happens.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nope, nothing to do with the suit or superpowers at all.  It was just a boring episode.  Which happens.

Well, since it wasn't a boring episode to me I guess I'm curious why it was "just a boring episode" to you. I liked the character beats, the humor, the archaeology adventure stuff, the horror (some stuff was suuuper creepy to me), etc.

Yavar

I enjoyed watching episode 4 well enough, especially the archaeology adventure beats Yavar references above.  But it's such a transitional episode I'm reserving judgment on its developments until I see where they're going.

44 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Well, since it wasn't a boring episode to me I guess I'm curious why it was "just a boring episode" to you. I liked the character beats, the humor, the archaeology adventure stuff, the horror (some stuff was suuuper creepy to me), etc.

The parts that moved the storyline along were fun: Beating Harrow to the tomb by recognizing where to go by identifying the Eye of Horus, discovering Ammit's last avatar was Alexander The Great, etc. 

Some of the character moments were OK, like learning Spector was on the mercenary team that killed Layla's father, and that Spector himself was killed at the same time and only revived to be Konshu's avatar. 

But there was a lot of stuff in between that wasn't very compelling.  The kiss up top wasn't that effective; I guess Isaac and Calamawy weren't able to work out good chemistry together. 

The extended fights with the undead were especially boring, partly because they completely ripped of their vocal sounds from The Last Of Us, which was really off-putting for me.  And while I had liked Ethan Hawke in the early episodes, 4 episodes in he's still delivering all his lines quietly, slowly, and deliberately - I'm really for him to really get interesting and evil now please.

Also, a lot of the scenes underground were very, very dark, so it was hard to see what was going on at times.

I’ve been really enjoying watching Moon Knight.  I’m not posting about it here mainly because I have other places to talk about it where people are generally more enthused about stuff and the conversation is more alive.

For me, excitement about the series has been a continuing upward trajectory.  I hope it lasts.  Even though I expected it based on what he was holding when he got shot, I got a big belly laugh at the last second reveal in 4.  I’m also excited to see the mystery third (apparently brutal) personality that has been referenced and is likely hidden in that third sarcophagus in the hospital.  Wonder what their suit will look like.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

The parts that moved the storyline along were fun: Beating Harrow to the tomb by recognizing where to go by identifying the Eye of Horus, discovering Ammit's last avatar was Alexander The Great, etc. 

Some of the character moments were OK, like learning Spector was on the mercenary team that killed Layla's father, and that Spector himself was killed at the same time and only revived to be Konshu's avatar. 

Sounds like it wasn't *all* boring/bad for you -- I'm glad!

6 hours ago, Jay said:

But there was a lot of stuff in between that wasn't very compelling.  The kiss up top wasn't that effective; I guess Isaac and Calamawy weren't able to work out good chemistry together.

Huh? That was *meant* to be awkward. I mean, Steven is essentially backstabbing his other personality, and is hesitant...plus he's just such an awkward person anyway.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

The extended fights with the undead were especially boring, partly because they completely ripped of their vocal sounds from The Last Of Us, which was really off-putting for me.  And while I had liked Ethan Hawke in the early episodes, 4 episodes in he's still delivering all his lines quietly, slowly, and deliberately - I'm really for him to really get interesting and evil now please.

Also, a lot of the scenes underground were very, very dark, so it was hard to see what was going on at times.

I get these issues more. I was really creeped out, disturbed (and weirdly amused) by the early undead stuff... the tension of one or the other character being found (while another semi-conscious character was ________) was very effective. But I do agree the tension was lost. Those weren't my favorite parts of the episode.

Now Steven apologizing to "Mr. Great" while he dug around...that was hilarious.

Yavar

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I’ve been really enjoying watching Moon Knight.  I’m not posting about it here mainly because I have other places to talk about it where people are generally more enthused about stuff and the conversation is more alive.

More enthused?  Every single post about this show from when it premiered until now has been positive here, until my posts today about episode 4.  What are you talking about?

Even though I expected it based on what he was holding when he got shot

What was he holding when he got shot?

, I got a big belly laugh at the last second reveal in 4.

The talking hippo? That was fun!

Just now, Jay said:

More enthused?  Every single post about this show from when it premiered until now has been positive here, until my posts today about episode 4.  What are you talking about?

What was he holding when he got shot?

The talking hippo? That was fun!

He was holding this season’s  MacGuffin - the Ammit statue that he had pulled out of the mummy’s throat.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammit

The “enthused” was more a general thing and not about Moon Knight specifically, I suppose!

Now this 5th and second last episode of Moon Knight followed straight the pattern of the second last episode of Wanda Vision, everything gets explained by a walk through the heros personal history including childhood. But here I found it much more convincing than in Wanda Vision to be honest.