The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

It’s kind of the natural ebb and flow of these things.  You aren’t going to do exposition in the last act, especially when there’s so much story to resolve - unless your last name is Wachowski.  I’m a bit surprised how much Plot they have to make it through in one episode - 

Spoiler

Returning from the underworld, reuniting with Layla, reuniting with Khonshu, defeating Harrow/Ammit, presumably solving the Third Personality deal (which seems a little hazier now that Marc is apparently “balanced” with Stephen out of his life).

Hopefully it feels organic and not overly busy/rushed.

Moon Knight 1x05 Asylum

Now that's more like it!  Wonderful episode that explains very nicely a lot of what's going on.  I dunno if the writers were inspired by Mr Robot or not but it sure felt like it!

New date changes on the MCU:

The Marvels (aka Captain Marvel 2) will now come out in July 28, 2023. Its previous release date of February 17, 2023 will now be occupied by Ant-Man & the Wasp: Quantumania.

Source

‘Spider-Man’ Director Jon Watts Exits Marvel’s ‘Fantastic Four’

Darn. I had hoped Watts and Giacchino’s collaboration would continue with Fantastic Four, but I totally understand why Watts would want an MCU break after seven years.

Maybe Giacchino will end up scoring it anyway haha (not that that was even a guarantee with Watts, but it seemed like it could be likely).

7 hours ago, Max said:

‘Spider-Man’ Director Jon Watts Exits Marvel’s ‘Fantastic Four’

Maybe Giacchino will end up scoring it anyway haha (not that that was even a guarantee with Watts, but it seemed like it could be likely).

We need a MCU score from John Powell. Marvel's first family would be a perfect project for him.

Karol

On 29/04/2022 at 6:30 PM, Stu said:

So the Russos will remain the only directors to make 4 MCU movies.

Rumor has it Peyton Reed is the front runner to helm the movie now.  If that's the case, he'll join them after the 3 Ant-Man movies.

18 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

Rumor has it Peyton Reed is the front runner to helm the movie now.  If that's the case, he'll join them after the 3 Ant-Man movies.

It's funny that the Ant-Man movies were the "zaniest" until Guardians and Thor 3 and Spider-Man FFH came along. (EDIT: Ok, Guardians 1 was first, wasn't it.)

I think I'd be OK with that. A-M has a sense of humor while still having a lot of heart without trying to be as comedically off-putting as Gunn and Waititi can be.

Whoever they pick I want them to say something like "Mark Waid is my hero!"

On 01/04/2022 at 12:58 PM, Jay said:

Disney has released a new poster for the show today

Moon Knight Mysterious Cupcake

On 07/04/2022 at 5:48 PM, Jay said:

Last week we got a cupcake, this week we get a golden snitch scarab

Episode 3 poster:

Episode 4 poster:

Episode 5 poster 1:

Episode 5 poster 2:

It should come as no surprise, but stick around because there is a midcredits scene in the Moon Knight finale which is actually plot-relevant (not just a gag or set-up for elsewhere).

I am quite happy that Marvel trusted Raimi and let him do his thing, as the film is brimming with his style and touches throughout.  The first 1/3 definitely feels the most like the typical Marvel production, but by the time the main villain is revealed the film quickly switches tone and is basically a PG-13 Raimi horror movie the rest of the way, full of his usual weird touches and visual flair.

The movie itself, while not perfect, is pretty darn enjoyable and if not counting Spider-Man, the most enjoyable Marvel film since Endgame for me (Shang Chi was good, but just a little too cookie cutter).  I really hope Marvel going forward lets directors get a little more creative and actually bring more of their own style to the films, as I think the public is more than ready for some more variety.

I wish I'd gotten a picture of it, I bet it'll be corrected for home video.  If anyone is still going to see it and reads this first, please snap a photo of the section where they credit all the licensed music!  It's always right at the end before they thank all the nations/states they filmed in.

This one has Wanda, whose become a beloved character for many as well as a Strange who has crossed over many of the other characters and become important for many.  Add to that, the return of Raimi to a comic book movie and people were interested.  Personally, I really enjoyed it so I'm sure the word of mouth will have a big role in its overall box office.

Experimenting and going outside the mold can pay off. I hope Marvel does it more now that they see the results.

Moon Knight 1x06 Gods and Monsters

Yea I'd say the show settled on a solid B after all.... maybe even B-.  The final episode was pretty fun, I really liked Layla turning into a superhero herself (spinoff with her and Falcon could be fun?), Harrow enacting his plan with Ammit and them all stopping him, etc.  It was nice to see Spector and Grant reunited.  But somehow everything never elevated to any kind of extra special level, it was all just kind of fine for me.    And I'm surprised they never worked in any MCU references at all.  Even in the mid-credit scene!

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

But why? The first one was undisputedly mediocre.

Marvel is expert in turning sequels to "smaller" movies into Avengers-level blockbusters, like what happened with Civil War and No Way Home and now with Strange 2.

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

But why? The first one was undisputedly mediocre.

I loved the first one.

But Strange has been well used in four other films since the first Strange movie (and all giant hits, right?). People that didn't see or didn't like the first one definitely know who he is.

I don't know what the casual viewer thinks of these things. The only MCU movie I have missed in the theater since... Iron Man 2? was The Eternals because Marvel seemed to be going out of their way to tell me that this wasn't going to be good.

But this was the first MCU movie since the pandemic that didn't feel like it was going to lecture me on anything AND that it was going to be really good. It's also riding on No Way Home's coat tails a little bit.

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I loved the first one.

But Strange has been well used in four other films since the first Strange movie (and all giant hits, right?). People that didn't see or didn't like the first one definitely know who he is.

I don't know what the casual viewer thinks of these things. The only MCU movie I have missed in the theater since... Iron Man 2? was The Eternals because Marvel seemed to be going out of their way to tell me that this wasn't going to be good.

But this was the first MCU movie since the pandemic that didn't feel like it was going to lecture me on anything AND that it was going to be really good. It's also riding on No Way Home's coat tails a little bit.

What did NWO lecture about?

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Marvel is expert in turning sequels to "smaller" movies into Avengers-level blockbusters, like what happened with Civil War and No Way Home and now with Strange 2.

I really liked Multiverse of Madness but I wouldn't have minded to have this be the third doctor strange, following a doctor strange movie about Mordo which was set up in the end credits scene of the first movie.

16 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

What did NWO lecture about?

You're right. I simultaneously included and excluded Spider-Man as a proper MCU movie. OTOH it made ALL the money.

13 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I didn't much like Captain America: Civil War, and would have FAR preferred an actual sequel to the amazing Captain America: The Winter Soldier instead of Avengers 2.5.

I love Civil War but I totally agree with the rest of your statement. I kind of feel like there was an actual Spider-Man 3 rather than the (admittedly awesome) live-action Into the Spider-Verse that we got.

16 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

I really liked Multiverse of Madness but I wouldn't have minded to have this be the third doctor strange, following a doctor strange movie about Mordo which was set up in the end credits scene of the first movie.

It felt like the skipped a step, didn't it? OTOH, it's interesting to think that conflict is now just assumed and we don't really need to see a movie. Of all of the things that the MCU skipped I would rather have seen what happened after the end of Homecoming with May.

There's uncomfortable friction between the show wanting to portray multiple personality disorder in a serious and sensitive way, while also kinda portraying it as like a badass fun superhero power.  But Oscar Isaac was awesome, especially in these last two episodes.

also giant crocodile ladies are good and layla had a cooler superhero costume than marc

I liked how it resulted in Marc reconciling his Stephen side and embracing it rather than hiding it - and then how that played out in the superhero action side of things. I really liked the character arcs for Marc/Stephen and Layla.  I thought Hawke played a great villain, even if his endgame essentially was standard Marvel megalomania.  Layla kicked ass as a superhero and the contractually mandated Representation Moment (are you an Egyptian superhero?!) was much less clunky than the Here Come The Ladies! march from Endgame.  All that and an Egyptian kaiju fight!!

Hopefully there will be more.  I’m sure Isaac would be very excited to portray the third personality, especially a Spanish speaking one.  Presumably this is where Marc compartmentalized all the awful things he had to do as a mercenary (including killing Layla’s father?  Maybe…).  You could ask the question “how did Marc’s scales balance in the underworld with the third personality in there,” but my answer would be “because it’s a superhero show shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhut it.” 

I’d probably count Moon Knight as my second favorite Marvel series at this point, behind Loki.  

Loki

Moon Knight

Hawkeye

WandaVision

Falcon WS

What If?

They’ve all been entertaining, at least.  I expect when I eventually see Doctor Strange 2, it will alter my thoughts on WandaVision (it seems like later Marvel movies seem to affect the earlier ones favorably pretty often).

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I liked how it resulted in Marc reconciling his Stephen side and embracing it rather than hiding it

I must plead ignorance about current approaches to treatment, but this doesn't strike me as the healthy outcome.  Where Marc was at the end of episode 5, where he was able to let go of Stephen because he no longer needed him seemed way healthier to me.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I must plead ignorance about current approaches to treatment, but this doesn't strike me as the healthy outcome.  Where Marc was at the end of episode 5, where he was able to let go of Stephen because he no longer needed him seemed way healthier to me.

Oh sure - I have no idea about the medical side of things.  I’m approaching it solely as a superhero show and piece of entertainment.  I felt in a very general sense that the show was sensitive, but as somebody who has never been impacted by the issues at hand I’m not the person they’d need to convince.  Haven’t seen any backlash or (shudder) thinkpieces, but as always I also have no interest in looking for them.

One thing all the shows except Wanda and What If have in common is that to me they all felt like they would have worked better as movies, even though I enjoyed them all.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

One thing all the shows except Wanda and What If have in common is that to me they all felt like they would have worked better as movies, even though I enjoyed them all.

For me, Falcon & Soldier absolutely felt like a "Captain America 4" movie stretched out to a 6 hour show with lots of filler padding out the core story as a result - but I still liked it a lot!

Wanda indeed felt most like a show intended to be a show from the ground up.  Loki too, I'd say.  Hawkeye I think felt fairly show-ish, Moon Knight just felt they had a movie's worth of story and stretched it to a show, but without the movie quality visuals and staging that Falcon & Soldier had

1. Hawkeye
2. Moon Knight
3. WandaVision
4. Loki
5. What If
6. Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Hawkeye both gave me what I want from MCU TV - all the extended little character scenes that you don't have time for in a movie. But Hawkeye had a more coherent story and a better ending. FATWS fell apart.

I think I'm going to call it Daredevil syndrome. If you build your whole movie / season around a character "becoming" who we all tuned in to see in the first place then a) don't save it for a handful of scenes at the end and b) make the "new" character inherently better than what we've been watching the whole season. Falcon was cooler for most of the season than he was when he became Captain America.

Hawkeye was just a fun, frothy, frollicing desert. Yay! And the leads were delightful.

Moon Knight was overall terrific and it had a really weird sensibility that I liked. (I don't believe that I have ever read a Moon Knight comic.) But holy secret identities Batman, Marc and Steven were way cooler than Moon Knight. I wanted to feel that when Moon Knight showed up that that was pretty much going to be the solution. He didn't need to be unbeatable but he needed to be a lot less beatable. He looked cool as hell but he didn't DO much. (Especially when it turns out that JAKE was unbeatable.)

Loki would have been so much better (IMHO) if it had had an ending.

Wandavision is unique. I loved it. I don't know as I'll ever watch it again. (And now it's even more depressing.)