The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

My interest in the MCU is quite parallel to my interest in the comics growing up.  I got way into it at first. But, the more it sprawls, the less impactful it feels, and I start to check out. There are always highlights along the way, but I find my excitement peak fairly early in the world building.  So somewhere around Civil War/Infinity War was the high point for me. 

There is an awful lot of homework for these now. 

God, it's just too much. Or too much too soon. I miss hte days when the MCU could genuinely peak my interest. Here's how this will unfold for me now: I'll continue my forced superhero hiatus for a while and watch romcoms and listen to classical music, then I'll watch Eternals, not like it and eventually finish phase 6 in 2056 when they're producing the spin-off to the prequel to the interquel of the seventh season of a Phase 47B show.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Starting to?

Just seeing the full list with 57 new movies or tv seasons per year, I experienced a moment of defetism... 

But I'll admit that Black Panther 2 looks good and She Hulk looks fun. 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

My interest in the MCU is quite parallel to my interest in the comics growing up.  I got way into it at first. But, the more it sprawls, the less impactful it feels, and I start to check out. There are always highlights along the way, but I find my excitement peak fairly early in the world building.  So somewhere around Civil War/Infinity War was the high point for me. 

There is an awful lot of homework for these now. 

My peak MCU interest was also around that time too, between 2017-19. After Endgame/Far from Home, I think that not only there was a drop in quality (while concurrently there was a rise in quantity thanks to the shows), but also my interest started to wane. It's hard to care about this new MCU without the main characters. I haven't even seen Love and Thunder (will wait for Disney+). 

But yeah, Black Panther 2 looks great. The trailer was very emotional.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Hey here's a trailer for She-Hulk

Somehow She-Hulk took out all that made the Hulk character interesting. What is left from a Hulk when he or she has the transformation under control and there is no change of personality? All the tragedy is gone. 

I mean, Hulk is there, too. But that was a development.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

All Marvel products feel like that now. Disney has changed. They haven't even asked the Russo brothers for a new movie. Too much drama.

How do you know they are not involved?

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

How do you know they are not involved?

Karol

That's what they said in an interview. They added that they are perfectly happy to be where they are right now, which is Netflix. 

To be honest, I would pass if I were them. They already made Marvel almost 5 billion on the last two Avengers movies. I doubt this would top it.

Karol

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avenger-the-kang-dynasty-destin-daniel-cretton-director-1235326300/

This is awesome. I thought Shang-Chi was a very well directed film. And I trust completely in Cretton and his team to make this great film.

Now I'm already wondering who will score these Avengers films. Will it be the composer of choice for the director (in this case Joel P West). Will it be Silvestri again, which would be amazing. Or are they going for a completely new composer who hasn't done a Marvel or Avengers film.

One thing I do want is that Silvestri's Avengers theme is going to be used in every Avengers film. I think it's the most important and iconic theme of the MCU. So it should be there as long as there are Avengers

42 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Now I'm already wondering who will score these Avengers films. Will it be the composer of choice for the director (in this case Joel P West). Will it be Silvestri again, which would be amazing. Or are they going for a completely new composer who hasn't done a Marvel or Avengers film.

One thing I do want is that Silvestri's Avengers theme is going to be used in every Avengers film. I think it's the most important and iconic theme of the MCU. So it should be there as long as there are Avengers

I'm pretty sure Cretton will use West once again, but if they at the very least keep the Silvestri theme, I'll be satisfied

After the first Avengers I would have shrugged at a Silvestri return, but in typical Silvestri fashion, he built up enough really good material by the third movie to make a great score.  I’d be interested in hearing another.

I thought it was interesting that the Russo Bros. went with Jackman for The Gray Man.

I'm guessing that Silvestri got Avengers because he did Captain America. And I'm guessing he got Infinity War and End Game because he did Avengers (and people realized the mistake of not hiring him for Ultron).

In other words, he hasn't been any of the Avenger director's "first choice". If they had started from scratch Whedo probably would have hired someone more like Elfman and the Russo's would have hired Jackman.

But in all cases he's been the right choice. We watched Infinity War / Engame last night. Even if I don't listen to much of those scores on their own every note in those films is exactly where it needs to be.

I'm a "theme guy" (like a lot of folks on a Williams board, I imagine). I understand that there are a lot of themes in Silvestri's Avengers scores but I can identify hardly any of them. That doesn't mean that those two scores are not a crowning achievement.

I listened to the four Avengers scores over the past few weeks, including both programs of Infinity War.  There’s a lot of good stuff in IW/Endgame, but both would definitely benefit from a pared down listening experience.  No clue what Silvestri would call the themes, but the Soul Stone sacrifice, funeral, and portals themes are top notch.

On 24/07/2022 at 10:18 PM, JohnnyD said:

This is going to be a bittersweet experience, but also very moving.

I expect the movie to be the most absurd thing ever but the trailer is great

Finally watched the She-Hulk trailer and that 2 minute featurette posted a bit up.

Well, I still think the CGI for the main character looks really bad, just completely unreleastic and goofy looking.  It's a shame they couldn't figure that out in time for air!

Otherwise though, the show looks pretty good.  Tatiana Maslany was awesome in the one thing I've seen her in (Perry Mason) and looks like she'll do another great job in her human form here too.  I loved Jameela Jamil on The Good Place but she seems a bit OOT here, though admittedly between the 2 videos they've barely shown her at all so who knows.

I'm not sure how I feel about the breaking the fourth wall thing; It worked in Fleabag, Deadpool, a few other things, but if too many shows do it, it will lose its impact or get too cliched.  I dunno.

I never said it didn't make sense, but doing something just because the comics did it isn't always the best idea.  Plus Fleabag and Deadpool did it in the live action comic realm first so they have to play catch up and find a way to innovate now and from the trailers I'm not sure they did

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2022 at 11:01 AM, Tallguy said:

I'm a "theme guy" (like a lot of folks on a Williams board, I imagine). I understand that there are a lot of themes in Silvestri's Avengers scores but I can identify hardly any of them. That doesn't mean that those two scores are not a crowning achievement.

Someone on Reddit did a complete analysis of the themes in the movie:

The car crash clip posted above as a Twitter embed is on youtube now, and the fiery cheetos product placement really annoys me

Spoiler

Watched a YT video on the opening scene and the space ship that forces them off the road is the same model as the Taskmaster's in Thor: Ragnarok.  

Perhaps he's coming back to take Hulk back to Sakaar?

Did that 'She/Hulk' Clip Reveal the Return of The Grandmaster? -  MarvelBlog.com

Did that 'She/Hulk' Clip Reveal the Return of The Grandmaster? -  MarvelBlog.com

37 minutes ago, Dr. Rick said:
  Hide contents

Watched a YT video on the opening scene and the space ship that forces them off the road is the same model as the Taskmaster's in Thor: Ragnarok.  

Perhaps he's coming back to take Hulk back to Sakaar?

Spoiler

*Grandmaster

And I believe another character, wr haven't seen yet but is big in the comics, is in that ship

Guys if Marvel puts a spaceship in a TV commercial for a show and that spaceship was already in one of the MCU movies, you don't have to use spoiler blocks to say where you recognize the ship from, that's not a spoiler

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for the correction, I knew who it was but my brain told my fingers to type something else LOL

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Guys if Marvel puts a spaceship in a TV commercial for a show and that spaceship was already in one of the MCU movies, you don't have to use spoiler blocks to say where you recognize the ship from, that's not a spoiler

I know the ship itself is not technically a spoiler but I'm sure quite a few people viewing the trailer wouldn't have made that connection.  I know I sure didn't connect the dots until I watched a YT video about it.  Besides, it's who is potentially inside the ship that could be considered a spoiler for some so that's why I tagged it as such.  :rock:

On 12/08/2022 at 8:03 PM, Jay said:

The car crash clip posted above as a Twitter embed is on youtube now, and the fiery cheetos product placement really annoys me

Well.. at least the bag is backwards... is not like they have the bag in their hands, looking at the camera and say 'hmmm these cheetos are good!' or something...*

In the trailer...i would be hilarious if they did it in the show propper...

ComingSoon gives the first 4 episodes a "mediocre" rating; They praise Maslany's performance and the subplot about The Abomination, but criticize all the other legal subplots and Jennifer's fast-tracked training, ultimately stating "it has a meandering nature where it feels like it’s making itself up as it goes along"

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/reviews/1235238-she-hulk-episodes-1-4-review