The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

‘Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania’ First Reactions: Marvel Phase 5 Off to Frustrating Start
On the other hand, Jonathan Majors as Kang the Conqueror is universally declared awesome.

I predict it will get a 75 - 85% Critics score on Rotten Tomatoes.

45 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

‘Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania’ First Reactions: Marvel Phase 5 Off to Frustrating Start
On the other hand, Jonathan Majors as Kang the Conqueror is universally declared awesome.

I predict it will get a 75 - 85% Critics score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Not surprising when most of the new RT reviewers are writers for sites with names like "ComicBookJunkieRealm".  They packed the court

I enjoyed Rudd in the crossovers but still haven't seen the Ant-Mans. Looking back at the MCU, it's those two, Thor: The Dark World, and Eternals (and all the shows) that I haven't seen. 

But funnily enough his reunion with his daughter was still one of my favorite scenes in Endgame. And Thor and his mom, for that matter. 

The original Ant-Man is still one of my favorite MCU movies. The lower stakes, the father/daughter dynamic, and of course Michael Peña really made it a unique entry. I didn’t like the sequel *as* much but it was still good.

Yavar

That's probably the reason why. To, in a way, redeem certain elements of the film. I thought it was very well done, with Thor & his mother having those moments. And she knowing that she would die very soon. Makes her death in The Dark World have a little more heft and nuance to it. I like.it a lot

On 8/2/2023 at 2:48 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

The original Ant-Man is still one of my favorite MCU movies. The lower stakes, the father/daughter dynamic, and of course Michael Peña really made it a unique entry. I didn’t like the sequel *as* much but it was still good.

Yavar

It's good. It's my favourite among the MCU films that aren't my favourites.  The best of the rest you could say.

Though I was bored through the second one and about halfway through started scraping some candle wax that spilled onto my coffee table the night before.

Both trailers have now had the slogan "It's Time To Face The Music". Music has always been a big part of these films, but with even that in the trailer I am expecting something special music-wise.

I thought the fist 2 ant man movies were very enjoyable and fun. I never let reviews dictate wether I see a movie or not but so many are calling it boring is a worrying sign. I’m already a bit bored with marvel…

EXCLUSIVE: For the first times since pre-pandemic times, a Super Bowl trailer broke the 100M view threshold on social media in the 24 hour period following the Big Game.

That was Disney/Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 which clocked 134.1M views across TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook as measured by social media analytics corp RelishMix in their annual survey of the most watched Super Bowl movie trailers.

In fact, the James Gunn directed threequel is the most watched Super Bowl movie trailer in post Big Game day traffic per RelishMix records. The movie kicks off the summer box office on May 5. The last movie trailer to cross 100M views was Universal’s pre-Covid launch of F9 during the 2020 Super Bowl which clocked 110.9M fueled by a Miami concert the Friday before that year’s Big Game Sunday.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-the-flash-fast-x-super-bowl-trailers-views-1235261136/

Think the last two years had "too much Marvel"? Disney has heard you.

In what feels like a different timeline ago, at July’s San Diego Comic-Con, Marvel chief Kevin Feige put the pedal to the metal when he outlined five Disney+ shows for 2023 — What If …? season two, Echo, Loki season two, Ironheart and Agatha: Coven of Chaos. Now, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Loki season two and the Samuel L. Jackson-led Secret Invasion are the only sure bets to debut this year. Even projects that wrapped months ago, such as the Hawkeye spinoff Echo and Wakanda Forever spinoff Ironheart, are unlikely to arrive in 2023 as the studio spreads out its content and tinkers in postproduction. And shows in development, such as Nova, are now on a slower path.

As a point of comparison, during its Phase 4, Marvel Studios released a breakneck 18 projects across theatrical and streaming: four films and five TV shows in 2021; three films and three TV shows in 2022; plus a few specials. (The studio released just 11 projects from Phase 3, which ran from 2016 to 2019.)

Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige echoed the new direction. “The pace at which we’re putting out the Disney+ shows will change,” Feige told Entertainment Weekly in an interview published this week, noting that there will be fewer shows and that they will more spaced out.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-star-wars-tv-shows-movies-slowdown-1235326681/

I'm a massive Marvel fan, but I do feel this is the right choice. There has been a lot of projects (especially with the series) and sometimes it's too much to keep track of.

I think a good choice would be 3 movies a year (like in Phase 3) and 2 maybe 3 series.

The only big films opening in July are Mission Impossible 7 and Oppenheimer - and debatably Barbie and Haunted Mansion

So I guess this is the updated list of superhero movies of the year:

• Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - Marvel - Feb 17, 2023
  • Shazam! Fury of the Gods - DC - March 17, 2023
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - Marvel - May 5, 2023
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse -Marvel - June 2, 2023
  • The Flash - DC - June 16, 2023
  • Blue Beetle - DC - Aug 18, 2023
  • Kraven the Hunter - Marvel - Oct 6, 2023
  • The Marvels - Marvel - Nov 10, 2023
  • Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - DC - Dec 25, 2023

Have I forgot anyone?

I saw the poster for Blue Beetle at the cinema. I didn't even know they were doing one, let alone that it's coming out this year!

Wait, what?!? There is a Kraven movie?!?

The soundtrack of the film draws inspiration from and includes songs from the original Tony Hawk's Pro Skater video game, a choice made by Rowe. Rogen described it as a "random assortment of music" that fits together well and shares the "same energy and spirit."

WTF

Ant Man is dropping like a damn rock at the box office. Huge drops day to day. The audience has spoken already. When it comes to a huge cinematic experience, people want things like Avatar and Top Gun; both highly artistic with a passionate film-making vision, not an assembly-line corporate 'product.'

As far as I’m concerned, Marvel, keep it up, you’re doing great. I look forward to the day all your movies are such poorly rendered bilge that no one pays to see them and this stupid cash cow can finally quit being milked to death. 

51 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Oh, I love this huge JWFan tradition: the people who hate superhero movies spreading their 'love" on superhero threads. Blah blah blah superhero movies are failing at the box office yada yada I hope they all flop and Marvel dies a horrible death...

Jesus Christ, if you don't like this kind of movie or franchise, then stay the fuck away! This is really not productive.

I don't like Star Trek, so you guys won't see me entering Trek threads saying stuff like "I'm so happy Picard is getting torn apart by critics and no one but nostalgic 80s babies are watching!". I can't stand classical music, so I simply won't enter classical music threads and leave you guys happily discussing the 3rd Mozart concerto for Three Flutes performed by some fancy-looking European orchestra that I don't care about. 

I think, it is not that easy. Fan or not fan. I was a huge fan of phase 1-3. But for the things currently happening in the MCU I feel a lot of compassion with @Bayesian's cynical view. It's a desaster.

Is the cinema-going public growing tired of superhero films, or is this new one just gobshite? I haven't seen it, so I can't say, but after 15 years of the MCU (not to mention the DCEU), perhaps people are looking around for something else to watch.

Cruel irony, or poetic justice? You decide.

As somebody who doesn’t care about box office takes generally, even for movie series I like, wouldn’t you expect box office to drop on the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday following opening weekend?  That’s the work week.

There's something seriously messed up in the relationship between studios and FX.

I liked Quantumania a lot. It's in the vast "Hey that was fun" middle of the MCU. It was my least favorite Ant-Man but it had some of my favorite moments. There's some really great stuff with Hank in this movie.

No one told us that Michelle Pfeiffer was going to be the star of this movie.

I thought the FX were good. There is a kind of FX work that becomes so stylized and detached from reality that it becomes impossible to judge as "real". That was this movie. OTOH, just when I thought the movies like Doctor Strange couldn't look more like a Jack Kirby drawing they come along and prove me wrong.

There's some chunks of the movie where I'm thinking "Yeah, I wish they would have made a sequel to Tron: Legacy too."

Yeah, the hate for Quantumania seems more like the "popular thing to do" rather than people who have seen it truly judging and criticizing the film. Its not perfect, but it as good science fiction film and definitely features a terrific performance by Johnathan Majors as the MCU's new big bad. The ending definitely reeked of last minute changes, but otherwise I thought it was a nice old school film and something enjoyable and would definitely watch again, unlike say Black Widow or Eternals which I have little interest in returning to in the future.

I think the so-called "super hero fatigue" has definitely set in, and after Endgame people are just exhausted and for many, Marvel has run its course. I think if after Endgame they took a few years away from features and only focused on the smaller scale tv side of things, people would be far more receptive to recent films. If the first film back was something like Black Panther 2 after a three year or more absence, people would be more on board.

5 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

Yeah, the hate for Quantumania seems more like the "popular thing to do" rather than people who have seen it truly judging and criticizing the film. Its not perfect, but it as good science fiction film and definitely features a terrific performance by Johnathan Majors as the MCU's new big bad. The ending definitely reeked of last minute changes, but otherwise I thought it was a nice old school film and something enjoyable and would definitely watch again, unlike say Black Widow or Eternals which I have little interest in returning to in the future.

I think the so-called "super hero fatigue" has definitely set in, and after Endgame people are just exhausted and for many, Marvel has run its course. I think if after Endgame they took a few years away from features and only focused on the smaller scale tv side of things, people would be far more receptive to recent films. If the first film back was something like Black Panther 2 after a three year or more absence, people would be more on board.

Wrong.