The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

On 5/2/2023 at 12:54 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

I really can't rank MCU films, b/c a lot of them run together for me. So I just think of them in terms of films I have/will watch again, and those I won't.

Rewatchable:

•    Iron Man 1
    •    Thor 1 
    •    Cap 1

•    Cap Civil War
    •    Avengers
    •    GotG
    •    Doctor Strange
    •    Black Panther

•    Spidey 1
    •    Infinity War
    •    Endgame
    •    Black Widow

One and done:

• The Incredible Hulk
  • Cap 2
  • Iron Man 2
  • Iron Man 3
  • Thor 2
  • Thor 3
  • Ant-Man
  • Ant-Man 2
  • Avengers 2
  • GotG 2
  • Spidey 2
  • Cap Marv

Yes, yes, Black Widow is technically Phase 4, but I consider it a Phase 3 leftover, and in any event I have a soft spot for the character.

Cap 2 is a one and done and Black Widow isn’t? Wtf?

Also ngl Ant-Man 3 was nearly as bad as Thor 4 for me and that film is in my top 5 worst movies of all time list.

Marvel has lost its magic.

I stopped watching MCU movies after Endgame. It felt like continuing it was purely for money and not also for someone who wants to tell a story.

But recently I decided to see if they were doing anything interesting, and not to just purely judge the 'post-Endgame' MCU as filler. I enjoyed No Way Home. But that was unfortunately it. I made it 20 minutes into Eternals and gave up, then I tried Thor 4 but only made it half way through. And I'm sat at home watching it on Disney+ yet I just couldn't watch them. I haven't even tried the others in phase 4. I have officially given up on Marvel, and perhaps this wider world of superheroland. The announcements of Gunn's DCU fell utterly flat for me too.

It's a shame, but I do hope others who still enjoy these films, continue to get what it is that makes them enjoy them. 

You watched the wrong things. The best post-Endgame MCU movie is Shang-Chi (despite its third act), and most of the Disney+ shows are even better than that (at least, I'd say WandaVision until the final episode, Loki, Moon Knight, and Ms. Marvel are... Hawkeye was quite enjoyable but relatively disposable, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier has a few great things but also a lot of disappointing things, and She-Hulk was occasionally good with a great lead, but mostly disappointing). Overall, the Disney+ series were the stronger half of Phase 4, much more interesting and consistently strong than the movies were.

Yavar

1 hour ago, MaxMovieMan said:

Cap 2 is a one and done and Black Widow isn’t? Wtf?

What can I say? I have a weakness for the character.

15 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You watched the wrong things.

Or maybe they’re making the wrong things?

7 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I stopped watching MCU movies after Endgame. It felt like continuing it was purely for money and not also for someone who wants to tell a story.

But recently I decided to see if they were doing anything interesting, and not to just purely judge the 'post-Endgame' MCU as filler. I enjoyed No Way Home. But that was unfortunately it. I made it 20 minutes into Eternals and gave up, then I tried Thor 4 but only made it half way through. And I'm sat at home watching it on Disney+ yet I just couldn't watch them. I haven't even tried the others in phase 4. I have officially given up on Marvel, and perhaps this wider world of superheroland. The announcements of Gunn's DCU fell utterly flat for me too.

It's a shame, but I do hope others who still enjoy these films, continue to get what it is that makes them enjoy them. 

No Marvel? No DC? So what's left for you? 

This is a pretty cool interview with Quantumania's screenwriter about his work on this and the next Avengers movie:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-deleted-scene-avengers-1235333106/

And as I said on the other thread: the Rick and Morty-zation of the MCU already begun!

You’ve seen Spider-Man with a mustache, you’ve seen Doctor Strange without a goatee, so it’s time to evolve a bit with our multiverse storytelling. And between me doing Avengers: The Kang Dynasty and Michael Waldron doing Avengers: Secret Wars, I think we’re both excited to take it up a notch because the audience already has a pretty good education in it.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

No Marvel? No DC? So what's left for you? 

I'll just go to the cinema in 13 year gaps for Avatar. 🤣

Though, I could see John Wick 4, Fast and Furious 10, Scream 6...

Good god originality is dead.

There's a lot of stuff in that Hollywood Reporter interview that makes me even more sure that he should not be writing Kang Dynasty and Waldron should not be writing Secret Invasion. It seems like they have no idea what they're doing and I feel that stories this big should have 2 writers. Like Marcus & McFeely on Infinity War & Endgame.

Hoe I wish they and the Russo Brothers came back

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Hoe I wish they and the Russo Brothers came back

I read somewhere that Feige already explicitly declared that he doesn't want the Russos back. And I think it is better this way for the Russos to stay away from this.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I read somewhere that Feige already explicitly declared that he doesn't want the Russos back.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/avengers-secret-wars-phase-6-marvel-comic-con-kevin-feige-russo-brothers-1235076256/

They aren’t coming back for Avengers 5/6 but they’d like to work together again.

On 24/2/23 at 8:10 AM, Edmilson said:

I can't stand classical music, so I simply won't enter classical music threads and leave you guys happily discussing the 3rd Mozart concerto for Three Flutes performed by some fancy-looking European orchestra that I don't care about. 

Well, you are writing it on a forum about John Williams, i.e t’one of the last classical composers…

I was watching Wakanda Forever earlier with filmmaker commentary track on and Ryan Coogler mentioned Come and See as inspiration for one of the sequences. And while it was somewhat laughable they would attempt such a thing in a Marvel movie, it was also great to hear it being acknowledged. It's a film I greatly admire but might not muster enough courage to ever rewatch.

As for my rewatch of Black Panther 2, I will say the film definitely improved on second viewing. For all its ambition, the first one felt bit flat. This one, while stumbling occasionally, at least feels genuine and heartfelt. I always thought the ladies in the cast were the best thing about BP1 and they all shine in this as well.

The film is scored and spotted exceptionally well. The music is well mixed and always drives the narrative without outstaying its welcome.

Karol

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Oh?

I am afraid with the current arcs and scripts it's hardly feasible to make a good movie from. And the last Thor movie showed, that bringing back the old directors does not necessarily help.

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

As for my rewatch of Black Panther 2, I will say the film definitely improved on second viewing.

So it's a bit like Citizen Kane then? Or did you just lower your expectations?

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I am afraid with the current arcs and scripts it's hardly feasible to make a good movie from. And the last Thor movie showed, that bringing back the old directors does not necessarily help.

The Russo brothers definitely need a good script as well or their involvement doesn't mean that much (see their Netflix flicks).

7 minutes ago, AC1 said:

So it's a bit like Citizen Kane? Or did you just lower your expectations?

I always thought it was better than the first. With me, first impressions are not usually what stays with me. I have all sorts of expectations and my brains seems to resist simply absorbing things for what they are. Always been the case with movies I am looking forward to. And yes, I didn't love a single Nolan movie on my first viewing (still don't like Tenet). On second viewing I sort of watch the thing they actually released instead of the thing I expected them to release.

Karol

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Shang-Chi was sorta watchable until they arrive in the hidden mystery village. It gets worse and worse from there. 

Loved the Mystery Village.

Movies:

Black Widow - Didn't like it
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Loved it
Eternals - Didn't like it
Spider-Man: No Way Home - Loved it but not as much as Homecoming
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Ehhhhh, it was OK
Thor: Love and Thunder - It's a Waititi Thor movie
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - I liked it better than Black Widow and Eternals

(And I loved Ant-Man 3.)

Here's mine:

Movies:

Black Widow - didn't care for it, although the family dynamics between Natasha and her "parents" and "sister" were fun.

Shang-Chi - It was okay, but I would've liked it even more if it had more kung fu and less CGI dragons.

Eternals - not as bad as everyone thinks, but still overlong and forgettable.

Spider-Man No Way Home - A very likable movie, especially if you saw and cared about the previous Spidey flicks.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Decent, but it could've been so much better and more memorable.

Thor Love and Thunder - Awful. Thor becoming dumb as bricks made no sense with his character development.

Black Panther 2 - Pretty good, actually, Namor was a compelling villain.

Ant-Man 3 - As I said before, I was entertained by it, but mostly because my expectations were on the gutter.

Haven't seen TV shows like Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk mostly because we cancelled Disney+ back in last year. But I do intend of going back and watching this once we subscribe to it again.

My list, asking my self if I would see again:

Black Widow - Maybe

Shang-Chi - Yes

Eternals - No

Spider-Man No Way Home - Yes

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Yes

Thor Love and Thunder - Super no

Black Panther 2 - Super no

Ant-Man 3 - Didn’t see

Wanda Vision - Yes

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - No

Loki - Yes

What If - Yes

Hawkeye - Yes

Moon Knight - Maybe

Ms. Marvel - Didn’t see

She-Hulk - Super no

Werewolf by Night - No

GOTG Holiday Special - No 

Sums up pretty well what I think is good/bad.

My list :

Films:

Black Widow : absolutely no memory left

Shang-Chi : Meh…

Eternals : didn’t like it, but I’d like to see it again

Spider-Man NWH : absolutely awful, how did they even not realize that the scenario has no sense at all ?

Doctor Strange MOM : amazing, the best movie of the MCU imo

Thor LAT : alright, not as good as Ragnarök, but I still don’t really understand the hatred about it

Black Panther : great for 2 hours, but the ending is just basic superhero movie final

Series :

Wandavision : great, a shame that the last one wasn’t as satisfying as it could have been

TFATWS : good surprise, I hate the Captain America so I wasn’t expecting a good series, but I liked it, except for the bad guys

Loki : the real introduction to the Multiverse saga, if all the Marvel productions were so much fun…

What if… : from bad to good, but nothing great…

Hawkeye : Good 

Moon Knight : a huge deception : I was waiting a dark horror-like show, and all they’ve done is a mediocre pseudo comedy… tout ça pour ça, as we say in French

Ms. Marvel : Since I’m not a 6 years old girl, I’m definitely not the audience

She-Hulk : the first 3 or 4 episodes were rather fun, but it kept getting worse and worse

Specials :

Werewolf by night : I loved the idea, but the result was just another bad action thing

GOTG holiday special : no interest, but keep me hooked for vol. 3, which I’m sure will be great

Hey, that’s a lot ! Overall, I kinda liked Phase 4. The lack of links between the works made it easier to follow and I hope it is just a preparation for what’s coming… 

On 26/02/2023 at 1:01 AM, Benhip said:

My list :

Films:

Black Widow : absolutely no memory left

Shang-Chi : Meh…

Eternals : didn’t like it, but I’d like to see it again

Spider-Man NWH : absolutely awful, how did they even not realize that the scenario has no sense at all ?

Doctor Strange MOM : amazing, the best movie of the MCU imo

Thor LAT : alright, not as good as Ragnarök, but I still don’t really understand the hatred about it

Black Panther : great for 2 hours, but the ending is just basic superhero movie final

Series :

Wandavision : great, a shame that the last one wasn’t as satisfying as it could have been

TFATWS : good surprise, I hate the Captain America so I wasn’t expecting a good series, but I liked it, except for the bad guys

Loki : the real introduction to the Multiverse saga, if all the Marvel productions were so much fun…

What if… : from bad to good, but nothing great…

Hawkeye : Good 

Moon Knight : a huge deception : I was waiting a dark horror-like show, and all they’ve done is a mediocre pseudo comedy… tout ça pour ça, as we say in French

Ms. Marvel : Since I’m not a 6 years old girl, I’m definitely not the audience

She-Hulk : the first 3 or 4 episodes were rather fun, but it kept getting worse and worse

Specials :

Werewolf by night : I loved the idea, but the result was just another bad action thing

GOTG holiday special : no interest, but keep me hooked for vol. 3, which I’m sure will be great

Hey, that’s a lot ! Overall, I kinda liked Phase 4. The lack of links between the works made it easier to follow and I hope it is just a preparation for what’s coming… 

Interesting choices. The two films you like the most in Phase 4, I hated the most. MOM and LAT were the very definition of mediocre, especially LAT. That movie took nothing serious, and I didn't take it seriously either.

Quantumania is indeed the biggest drop on the second weekend for an MCU movie.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-box-office-ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-drops-70-as-cocaine-bear-jesus-revolution-overperform/

Oh boy, I do not wish to be in Marvel's position right now. They have a huge problem on their hands when it comes to planning their so-called Multiverse Saga.

I mean, they said that, in the next Avengers movie, the heroes will finally come face to face with Kang. Only two results may come from this battle: either the heroes win or they lose.

If they lose only to regroup and win on the sixth Avengers, fans and critics will claim Marvel is just copying the Infinity War/Endgame formula, and with diminishing returns.

But if they win, how the hell are we going to be excited for the sixth movie? If we already saw Kang gets his ass kicked, what would A6 even be about?

Maybe they could pull a The Two Towers/Return of the King and make one of Kang's variants to be Saruman's equivalent. The heroes barely survive a battle against this variant and now must prepare to face the final variant/Sauron. However, Quantumania already did just that, and the results weren't great.

On 25/02/2023 at 8:53 PM, crocodile said:

On second viewing I sort of watch the thing they actually released instead of the thing I expected them to release.

This.

They would not have been busted for posting spoilers, which are available anywhere and everywhere, but one way to fuck yourself is to post copyrighted material, so way to go, geniuses!

Given the generally lukewarm response to Phase 4, the fact that Ant-Man 3 is a flop, along with Shazam 2 & Black Adam over at DC, one can only hope that this is a sign that perhaps audiences are finally growing tired of superhero movies.

With any luck, twice-delayed The Marvels will be a crash & burn as well, and we can be rid of this madness for a while. Or at a minimum, it will make all involved rethink their approach to the genre.

2 hours ago, Dr. Rick said:

It's not about superhero fatigue, it's about whether or not it's a good story.  Regardless of the genre, as long as the story is good and doesn't try to shove agendas down the audience's throat, it should be a success.   

Question: have any cue titles and reel/part numbers for Infinity War and Endgame appeared in those databanks like GEMA? I'd be interested in looking at how the cue titles compare to the OST releases. Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, just found them on GEMA website. And the answer is extremely boring: for the most part, cue titles match OST track titles. Sigh...

No reel/part numbers, though.

:/

Jonathan Majors Arrested for Alleged Assault, Rep Says Actor “Has Done Nothing Wrong”

The 'Creed III' star was arrested Saturday in New York after what police described as a domestic dispute with a 30-year-old female. Police said they responded to a 911 call at an apartment in Chelsea where a 33-year-old male was involved in a domestic dispute with a 30-year-old female.

“The victim informed police she was assaulted. Officers placed the 33-year-old male into custody without incident,” according to the statement, which identified the male as Majors. The woman sustained minor injuries to her head and neck and was taken to a hospital, police said.

Majors is one of the more in-demand actors working today. He has long-term plans with Marvel Studios to play Kang, the villain that is central to the studio’s upcoming phase and will lead to him headlining Avengers: The Kang Dynasty, dated for May 2, 2025. He recently appeared as Kang in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and is rumored to appear in season two of Loki, expected out later this year.

Will be interesting to see how Disney/Marvel handle this one.

If not for already sinking $200m into The Flash, WB would've dropped Ezra Miller faster than you can say Aurelius Dumbledore. Instead they're sailing full steam ahead...

But that's the thing. That's not the case. James Gunn hasn't said anything about Miller leaving (or staying) after The Flash.

But with all that Miller has been accused of it wpuld be insane if he did stay on

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

Will be interesting to see how Disney/Marvel handle this one.

Whoa, hold your horses. There's nothing to handle just yet.

Karol

If they replace him, it’ll be the easiest replacement they could make - since canonically, variants don’t have to look alike (see Loki S1).  They did it with the Hulk and War Machine anyway.

17 hours ago, mstrox said:

If they replace him, it’ll be the easiest replacement they could make - since canonically, variants don’t have to look alike (see Loki S1).

Or the three Peter Parkers from Spiderman No Way Home, who not only look very different from one another but also have different ages.