The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Yes, the "5 years later" that happens in Endgame is a jump from 2018 to 2023.

9 hours ago, CrimsonRain96 said:

I haven’t seen the film yet, but from what I’ve heard from the score (which was released today), Murphy uses Bates’ theme once

Is it here? If it is... what a underwhelming version of the theme...

1 hour ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

I was referring to 2:38 on this track, but the fact that the other time that the original leitmotif for the Guardians theme appears on another track (the one you posted), but was played in such an underwhelming manner that I didn’t even notice it at first really says something………lol

https://youtu.be/3gdkaQAO8Nk

1 hour ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Also, for comparisons sake, the last minute or so of this track from the second film is probably (in my opinion, of course) the absolute BEST rendition of the Guardians theme I’ve heard to date……..compare that to the two renditions we found on the score from the third film (so far)…………😑

15 minutes ago, CrimsonRain96 said:

I was referring to 2:38 on this track, but the fact that the other time that the original leitmotif for the Guardians theme appears on another track (the one you posted), but was played in such an underwhelming manner that I didn’t even notice it at first really says something………lol

That sounds like a borrowed arrangement from here:

It's the final two-notes for me... Night and day.

Guardians 1 established the theme really well, but Vol. 2 really made it shine.

34 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

That sounds like a borrowed arrangement from here:

It's the final two-notes for me... Night and day.

Guardians 1 established the theme really well, but Vol. 2 really made it shine.

Ironically enough, there’s a track from the first film that plays during an action sequence (from about 1:51 to 2:24) that sounds extremely similar to the “Two Times Galaxy Savers” from from the second film (a little less bombastic and dynamic, but carries a similar degree of aggression and spiritedness). I combed the third film’s score looking for something similar, but got nothing even remotely close. Not that I need a track that played the motif in that particular way or something extremely specific like that, but it would have been nice to have something like that to make the musical continuity between the three films come full circle……

2 minutes ago, CrimsonRain96 said:

Ironically enough, there’s a track from the first film that plays during an action sequence (from about 1:51 to 2:24) that sounds extremely similar to the “Two Times Galaxy Savers” from from the second film (a little less bombastic and dynamic, but carries a similar degree of aggression and spiritedness). I combed the third film’s score looking for something similar, but got nothing even remotely close. Not that I need a track that played the motif in that particular way or something extremely specific like that, but it would have been nice to have something like that to make the musical continuity between the three films come full circle……

Also, it seems the first film is the only film in the trilogy to have the full theme play in all its glory (as you can hear towards the end of this track), compared to second and third film which only seems to reprise the first section of the theme, but never quotes the second section……….which annoyed me to no end so much when I first listened to the score for the second movie all the way back in 2017 to the point where I was mentally finishing the rest of the theme in my head when I heard perfect moments in the score for it to go. Lol

I was just listening to Vol. 2's score yersterday, and Bates really shone on the more emotional parts. I'm even more sad than before that he didn't score Vol 3, which people are describing as the "most emotional" of the three movies. 

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I was just listening to Vol. 2's score yersterday, and Bates really shone on the more emotional parts. I'm even more sad than before that he didn't score Vol 3, which people are describing as the "most emotional" of the three movies. 

Yeah, it really sucks. Even the more somber and “emotional” music I’m hearing on Murphy’s score is very generic and not very distinct compared to the more elegant emotional music Bates composed for the first two films (which often interwove variations of the main theme into these cues). 😞

27 minutes ago, CrimsonRain96 said:

Also, it seems the first film is the only film in the trilogy to have the full theme play in all its glory (as you can hear towards the end of this track), compared to second and third film which only seems to reprise the first section of the theme, but never quotes the second section……….which annoyed me to no end so much when I first listened to the score for the second movie all the way back in 2017 to the point where I was mentally finishing the rest of the theme in my head when I heard perfect moments in the score for it to go. Lol

Thankfully Paesano quoted the second section in his arrangment for the park, I think it's the only other place it is used unfortunately.

Whatever happened, happened during the production of The Suicide Squad. Bates was supposed to score it and had even written music prior to principal photography to be used with the movie. Then, a few weeks later, it was announced he was being replaced by Murphy.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/05/07/john-murphy-to-score-james-gunns-the-suicide-squad/

I think anyone should try to reach Gunn on social media. He's usually very open to answering questions about his movies.

Well, the movie might be bit bloated but it sure is way better than the second one and, well, the majority of stuff we've seen since Endgame.

Bates' theme appears three times in the movie.

Karol

I personally loved the movie. It’s the best MCU film since Endgame in my opinion. James Gunn can do no wrong. Only thing that bothered me is how sad the stuff with the animals made me. Shit was messed up!

Maybe for America, but $282,000,000 worldwide is still impressive.

That's more than double SHAZAM! 2's entire box office takings, and in one weekend.

So it's not ENDGAME money. Maybe The Mouse will just have to learn to settle for less.

If Guardians 3 was released during 2022 or even February 2023, it would have certainly opened higher. However, as a result of recent subpar entries (MoM, L&T, and Quantumania), the MCU’s reputation has experienced a significant hit.

Still, the worldwide BO was better than expected, thanks to an overperformance on several countries, including China.

I predict it will finish above Love and Thunder (761m) and close to Wakanda Forever (860m).

I saw the movie yesterday, and it was exactly what I was expecting : humor, action, and a lit of emotion. I wouldn’t say the best since Endgame, because MOM is my favorite movie from the entire MCU, but still a great entry. As for the score, it wasn’t as good as anything Bates has written, but it has a good emotional theme and thankfully doesn’t forget the main theme, which appears 4 times.

I had a question : I haven’t listened to the soundtrack yet, but I was wondering whether the new main theme was in the Holiday Special or not. Does someone have an answer ?

People keep talking about an emotional theme in the film. But the only thing I remember is the To The Stars reprises from Bates as having an emotional impact

On 8/5/23 at 3:18 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

People keep talking about an emotional theme in the film. But the only thing I remember is the To The Stars reprises from Bates as having an emotional impact

The one I was talking about is what we hear for exemple at 1:45 in « It really is good to have friends ». We can hear it a few times during the movie and the album.

The aria bit is quite nice.

Also, I did actually like the selection of many songs in the film. Quite surprised to hear Radiohead and Florence + The Machine. Both work extremely well in context.

Karol

I think because Disney+ is gonna try some new stuff with releasing schedules. This way it's not spread out over 6 to 10 weeks every time.

And I read some things that the series is just ok. So they might think they're not gonna be able to keep momemtum up for 6 weeks

7 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

This way it's not slread.over over 6 to 10 weeks every time.

What?

I think it is an experiment for them, possibly in light of some flagging interest in individual  series as they drag on over a month or two. That’s speculation on my part, since streaming services don’t release their ratings.  Maybe they’re looking to see whether their metrics are better (especially on a project like this without a guaranteed audience) with a Netflix-style episode dump vs the weekly drop.

I have the feeling that binge releases are happening less and less these days for all the major streaming services so it's a bit surprising that they would release this show all at once. However, Echo was a secondary character in Hawkeye so I'm not sure how high the interest is in the show. She was rather good in Hawkeye but I didn't immediately think that Echo needed a separate show (I'd rather get a second season to Hawkeye with Steinfeld and Renner). I got the same feeling with Agatha as well who was amazing in WandaVision. 

9 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And I read some things that the series is just ok. So they might think they're not gonna be able to keep momemtum up for 6 weeks

If I were Disney, and thought that the show wasn’t going to be well-received, I’d rather dump it out there and take my lumps all at once rather than stretch it out and deal with bad reviews every week for 6-8 weeks.  Few days of poor notices and move on.

Just speculation, of course.

23 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, the hype for Echo is much smaller than for other shows. It's the perfect opportunity to try the Netflix model of releasing all at once.

That's what I thought when I heard about it, it's a really minor character with no large fanbase from the comics like She-Hulk or Ms Marvel, that they didn't really left anything in Hawkeye to be eager about this show, so they rather throw everything right away.

Yes, they did a high school trilogy with Tom Holland and they are developing a college trilogy now