Your favorite John Williams score of the 80's? CONCLUDED

Your favorite John Williams score of the 80's?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite John Williams score of the 80's?

• The Empire Strikes Back
    • Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    • Heartbeeps
    • E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
    • Monsignor
    • Return Of The Jedi
    • Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
    • The River
    • SpaceCamp
    • Witches Of Eastwick
    • Empire Of The Sun
    • The Accidental Tourist
    • Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
    • Born On The Fourth Of July
    • Always

For me the only thing which let's LC down is its uninspired performance. It lacks the liveliness of the other two. Brass still sounds nice though.

Uninspired? You have got to be joking. It's a slightly smaller ensemble I think. But really put through its paces.

For me the only thing which let's LC down is its uninspired performance. It lacks the liveliness of the other two. Brass still sounds nice though.

Uninspired? You have got to be joking. It's a slightly smaller ensemble I think. But really put through its paces.
It's the largest orchestra of the three films, due to the expanded string section.

In terms of size:

TOD < ROTLA < TLC < KOTCS

This time, my vote goes to THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. IMO, best Williams score and the best film score of all time.

It's the largest orchestra of the three films, due to the expanded string section.

In terms of size:

TOD < ROTLA < TLC < KOTCS

According to the Concord set, I counted 94-piece orchestra for ROTLA, 93-piece orchestra for TOD and 84-piece orchestra for TLC.

However, in the liner notes of Crusade, Spielberg said 85-piece Hollywood orchestra. Where did the one player go?

As for KOTCS, there is no information about the size of the orchestra in the liner notes.

I do not understand the love for the Crusade. Right choice, wrong choice is brilliant but that is it. The action music is forced, easily weakest of the indy scores. Competing against scores like Jedi or Empire is just a joke. Two brilliant scores.

Agreed. I like Indy's Very First Adventure though.

While that's a great cue, it's probably my least favourite bit in the score.

In a way I agree with you, though it has some stunningly fabulous parts.

I never got peoples beef with the way TLC was recorded. Yes it's not the massive wall of noise that the first two were. But thats actually what I like about it.

In a way I agree with you, though it has some stunningly fabulous parts.

Certainly. I recently listened to it again and was surprised that it's much better than I had remembered.

I never got peoples beef with the way TLC was recorded. Yes it's not the massive wall of noise that the first two were. But thats actually what I like about it.

I don't have any problems with it either. Supposedly you can clearly hear the click track in several cues, but I never noticed it.

The Problem?: Its Dan Wallin (meaning the brass sounds somewhat "campy").

What the hell does that mean?

The brass has no bite, and sounds "bubblegummy"

Crusade has the best ending cue of all three. There's no denying that... :D

I got to disagree. I find the ending to be the weakest of the four Indiana Jones scores.

Ha! I found my polar opposite ! :eek:

I don't have any problems with it either. Supposedly you can clearly hear the click track in several cues, but I never noticed it.

I clearly hear it in Indy's First Adventure but I thought that was how it was written.

Why isn't Williams's glorious rejected score for The Color Purple among the poll options?

Because it's not full of marches and parades and the proles dont get it!