Your favorite John Williams score of the 80's? CONCLUDED

Your favorite John Williams score of the 80's?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite John Williams score of the 80's?

• The Empire Strikes Back
    • Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    • Heartbeeps
    • E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
    • Monsignor
    • Return Of The Jedi
    • Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
    • The River
    • SpaceCamp
    • Witches Of Eastwick
    • Empire Of The Sun
    • The Accidental Tourist
    • Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
    • Born On The Fourth Of July
    • Always

Why isn't Williams's glorious rejected score for The Color Purple among the poll options?

I have this and am willing to share.

There's so many great scores this decade, but The Empire Strikes Back wins. There's not a dull moment in that score and it's one of the best cases of the music completely telling the film's story on its own you'll find. Excellence defined.

There's so many great scores this decade, but The Empire Strikes Back wins. There's not a dull moment in that score and it's one of the best cases of the music completely telling the film's story on its own you'll find. Excellence defined.

Wow, that's very well said!

A decade ago the love for Least Crusade would have assured a better ranking. My my where has the love gone.

Nowhere. The love still exists.

There's just less people voting in these polls than there used to be, that's all. Sorry for pointing out the stark reality of it, but JWFan doesn't have as many voters 10 years later.

It had a noticeable drop in the 2013 John Williams list I compiled. I believe you're partially correctly Lee. I think the Box Set showed some just how Excellent and underrated TOD was and the spotlight shifted.

The trilogy is excellent !

Crystal Skull on the other hand: the album will never get more than 3.5 / 5 from me. Between The Jungle Chase and the End Credits suite there is absolutely nothing that keeps me interested. It's my 30 minutes of dozing off occasion.

I'd give KOTCS 2.5/5

It has some nice parts, but I'm not into the wholesale recycling of past music.

That's being generous. I find both the album and the complete score...intolerable. The trilogy from beginning to end is among Williams' greatest work.

I've never seen KOCS in use at this board to represent the fourth Indiana Jones flick. Would you call the other three ROLA, OD, and LC?

I'm in a Star Wars mood, think I'll pop in PM, AOC, ESB, and ROJ. Oh wait, ROS too.

You know which Trek score rocks? MP. And I really like LOR.

Very few of those make sense without the The.

I've never seen KOCS in use at this board to represent the fourth Indiana Jones flick. Would you call the other three ROLA, OD, and LC?I'm in a Star Wars mood, think I'll pop in PM, AOC, ESB, and ROJ. Oh wait, ROS too. You know which Trek score rocks? MP. And I really like LOR. Very few of those make sense without the The.

But it sounds like a rude word!!!

Well, everything about Indy 4 was rude, so if you need to make your penis joke to feel better about yourself, please call it KOCS.

I have no active memory of what Lurker wrote. To that end, I don't use the search function every time I remember I forgot something.

I never quite managed to warm up to third Indy. It's ok, I guess. It does everythin right. But even Crystal Skull, arguably the least exciting of them all, encourages more frequent listens.

Karol

Well. it didn't rehash anything. Just quoted a theme. John Williams does that, you know.

Karol

rehash

To put old ideas or material into a new form without significant change or improvement

Rehash bad, quote good? Please...

Shouldn't it be called the Doom March, though, since Temple of Doom is the prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark? Amazed Lucas never got that retcon bug up his ass too.

Anyway. Wojo, my sweetheart, the Henry Jones Sr./Grail theme statement, whether inspired or not, still make sense in context. If I were to look for rehashing in KOTCS, it would have been the Flight from Peru reprise, brief Rats! reference and War of the Worlds intersection ostinato. Now, these are more problematic. Even if I kind of like the variation on that last one, to be honest.

Karol

The Rats bit is what I was talking about.

The grail theme is organically integrated into the score like any Williams sequel score.

KotCS is great. The action music is superior to the ToD action music. KotCS is still probably the least good score, but it stands proudly in the same league as the other three.

KotCS is great. The action music is superior to the ToD action music.

It's those fucking turnips.

I'm sorry, but The Nightclub Brawl alone (even without the big band overlay) is superior to any action cue in KOTCS.

KotCS is great. The action music is superior to the ToD action music.

I'm sorry, but :blink:

I've definitely never heard anybody hold that opinion before. The action music in TOD is not only the best part of the score, but also it's some of the best action music ever written!

Have you always really thought this way?