Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Quote JLB: "It will be the culmination of not only The Hobbit's story, but the entire LOTR/TH series as a whole."

Yeah, no. The only logical culmination within the time- and storyline of Middle-earth is RotK. The Hobbit, SIMPLY BY VIRTUE OF BEING THE EARLIER STORY, cannot be that culmination.

But I agree this is likely how it will play out in its cinematic and musical form. More's the pity, because it doesn't make much sense in my head; which is why I keep Hobbit and LotR separate. It's the same situation with the original and prequel Star Wars trilogies. The original trilogy built to a climax with Jedi, and the prequel one with Sith. Watched in chronological order, you now have two climaxes.

Someone clobber PJ with a big dead fish at their earliest convenience...

I'd get on well with all of you at the pub I think.

I'd love to have a drink with a good deal of you. Hopefully that'll happen sometime. Maybe next year's Boston Pops concert...

And the reason there are more LOTR threads that Narnia or Twilight is because more members here like those scores and like discussing them than they do Narnia or Twilight scores.

If someone wanted to start a unique Complete Cue List thread for each of the Narnia and Twilight scores, of course they wouldn't be merged together. Why would they be? That makes no sense.

Glad to hear it. I'll make sure that by when Bond 24 hits principle photography, this place will be flooded with Bond threads.

I am still getting 3 deluxe versions and on top of that am waiting for the SW Prequel scores in expanded form.

Yeah, we can just expect it to be horribly butchered all over the place anyway (as it was in DoS).

Wasn't it more just dialled out in great swathes?

Anyway, very cool that the recording has already started! More time for the score to be cut to ribbons and reassembled!

Maybe I should have said "That's too early." ;)

Not much earlier than An Unexpected Journey, which started recording on August 20th 2012 albeit with a substantially different workflow.

Maybe I should have said "That's too early." ;)

Not much earlier than An Unexpected Journey, which started recording on August 20th 2012 albeit with a substantially different workflow.

It must have cost a fortune!

AUJ sessions lasted till December. There were last minute choral sessions the week before the Wellington premiere.

The Wellington premiere was 28th November, so mid-to-late November it seems.

And AUJ may yet be an exceptional case. Is there any evidence to suggest that there were further DoS recording sessions after the initial lot?

There were some pickup sessions. Conrad Pope returned to New Zealand at least one more time. As to how extensive those sessions were.... no idea.

Karol

Oops, my bad!

And there were extra sessions after for DoS, where Pope got called back to NZ after having gone home when the original sessions ended. I don't remember the timeline though.

I believe the Carrock scene was recorded then (Sanabras mentioned it somewhere). And probably the revised Nazgul stuff.

Looking at this:

http://www.nzso.co.nz/concerts/event-calendar/?mo=August+%2714&vi=cal&se=2014

It's possible they might have a slight break in late August/early September and then continue on into early October. But then I notice that the NZSO have currently left large chunks of October and November free, presumably just in case...

AUJ sessions lasted till December. There were last minute choral sessions the week before the Wellington premiere.

What piece could it be?

As stitched together as the whole finale is, I wouldn't be surprised if they recorded the Nazgul music, the Eagle rescue and the Carrock scene very very late.

What piece could it be?

As stitched together as the whole finale is, I wouldn't be surprised if they recorded the Nazgul music, the Eagle rescue and the Carrock scene very very late.

Yeah it was the very end of November when they wrapped the AUJ sessions. But I think they are going to keep a speedier schedule now with the new division of labour tailored last year.

Well at least we have that music on the album (mostly for Forest River as well). It is not a tracking circus like the Prequels.

Meh, I have the music on album to enjoy. So no quips there!

But I cringe every time I see that scene. No sense of pace at all. It's all over the place!

Meh, I have the music on album to enjoy. So no quips there!

But I cringe every time I see that scene. No sense of pace at all. It's all over the place!

Yeah PJ has been a bit uncertain on the music for the Hobbit when it comes to these scenes. The AUJ second guessing extravaganza and DoS dialling out of the music show some uncertainty whether or not to use the music even though it was commissioned to be written. I think the modern film making which allows room for it can work of course to its advantage but often becomes second guessing which just hurts the music and the film.

Oh and one must not forget that we as listeners have become more aware and savvy of these things. LotR trilogy had its fair share of edits but perhaps the new trilogy has tad more audibly different presentation of the music compared to the albums, at least in AUJs case. The longer score release also gives us a lot more of the music to make observations upon and compare. And at the end of the day very few scores survive entirely intact to the final film but I think I can say we all hope these scores would end up there more intact than what is happening now. Especially when a lot of the score dialled out or edited would fit the scene and not impede it in any way, quite the contrary. The Flies and Spiders for example would give the scene a lot of the pulse and energy and nervousness edginess it needs. It works quite well without the score but would probably be a lot more exciting with it intact.

I think PJ is definitely uncertain about placement and is probably upset that there isn't the type of music Shore provided for the previous trilogy. I wonder if PJ had any problems with Williams for Tintin?

Before anyone gets hoity toity about what I just said, I absolutely love the music for the Hobbit films, but I have to say that there isn't that fluidity that the rings trilogy had where the pace was sorted fairly well.