Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Ahh, there's that classic SUH optimism. ;)

The first half is indeed scored very well. But the second half felt very lacking without music to drive the momentum. The arrival of the orcs should have the kind supporting music the Mumakil have.

Funny that you should mention that bit, seeing how the last bit was dialed out in the (ROTK) film. ;)

Very true. But it doesn't sound like it was edited by an amateur ;)

Neither does the BOTFA clip, I noticed no anomalies in terms of the editing of the music, perhaps spotting, but not editing.

By Eagles music from AUJ returning, do you mean the one in the film or the bit from 'A Good Omen' on the OST?

The one in the film. The Carrock music at the second half of this cue.

Ripped from our very own Alice of Brallice!

How far in is Nature's Reclamation in the video? Searching for it right now but can't find it. Beginning, middle or end of the video?

Right before the 26 min mark I believe.

That version of Nature's Reclamation...do I hear something of Beorn's material near the end before it cuts off? I'm wondering because apparently

he arrives on an Eagle - yep, I know

Sounds like a figure from Weapons raid returns in one of the Ravenhill action cues around the 24 minute mark (To The Death?)....

How does that even make sense?! Who could even bear that kind of load?

Human form.

Spreadsheet updated!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdHdFUExoRi1GMjlxRjl6V0hXY2JKU1E&output=html

So the SE OST is 14:11 longer than the Standard OST!

Beyond Sorrow and Gried is 1:21 longer

Guardian of the Three is 0:33 longer

The Gathering Of The Clouds is 1:45 longer

To The Death is 2:09 longer

and Ironfoot is 1:08 longer

Plus the 3:51 Dragon Sickness and 3:24 Thrain makes a total of 14:11

Cool!

Scorepedia updated!

http://en.scorepedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit:_The_Battle_of_the_Five_Armies#Standard_Edition

The most interesting part of that article was that Shore is writing a guitar concerto! The Hobbit scores are good, but I really want to hear that!

Cool. Another piece that'll never be heard by anyone but the hundreds or so who go to the few performances!

Wow. The Guardians of Three sounds pretty epic.

It's pretty slow for a bit, some interesting variations of the Rivendell material and all, but there's some intense choir stuff near the end, before it got cut off for another interview...

It might be!

Would have been neat to hear the Ringwraiths theme appear in full though.

Might for the best, The NZSO performing the Ringwraith theme? :folder:

;)

Why would the Azog Vs Thorin theme appear at Dol Guldur?

Because Dol Goldur is Azog's home. It makes sense! And it's very awesome!!

It might be!

Might for the best, The NZSO performing the Ringwraith theme? :folder:

;)

You might be joking, but you have a point. The current recording mix, and NZSO sound would probably not do that kind of material justice!

Whoa!

The music is Smaugs theme, very similar to when Bilbo first spots Smaug in the treasure hall. Slow and creepy. Even over "The Hobbit" title, no shire theme.

I forget the actual theme played during "The Battle of Five Armies." I want to say it may have been Thorin or Erebor's theme but I honestly don't remember.

ZOMG I'm skipping around the live stream now to listen to score cues.

FIRE AND WATER IS AWESOME! Dat choral Bard and Family theme!

You can hear almost the entire track pretty much completely clean towards the end of the archive file!

The archive is located:

http://edge1-ssl.streamingtank.tv/clients/warnerbros/thehobbit/index.php

Yea, wicked awesome stuff. I'm amazing at how much of this stream was just the BOFA OST playing over crowd noise vs actual interviews and stuff. Wow!

Was that an english horn playing Gandalf's theme? Wow!

Trying to figure out how to download the video file so I can more easily skip past the talking parts...

Wow, more cool variations of Smaug's Theme! It's not just Dragon Sickness in this score!

Almost sounded like The Nine for a bit.

Yeah it actually sounded like The Nine!

Sons of Durin and Courage and Wisdom will be playing at Classic FM today then. Good to know it was not Billy's song or Ironfoot. ;)

Shore talks about the Sons of Durin in a small interview clip and says the piece uses the Sons of Durin theme, which he has used throughout the 3 films(!). Hmmm does he mean The House of Durin? Thorin's Theme? Erebor Theme?

I think he's talking about Thorin and Erebor since those are what we hear in the sample.

We already discussed this after Ware first posted it (click the snapback.png symbol on any quote to jump right to that point in the thread)

Hehe I tried to go through all the pages but missed those previous posts discussing the thing entirely. :P

I do wonder if the clip was just edited weird, or he misspoke, or something. Never heard of a Sons of Durin theme before that.

I think Doug Adams should be with him in these interviews to correct him. ;)

Like a Roman nomenclator slave who would tell to the senator who were the people who he met at the forum and other places and were they important or politically powerful etc.