Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

It is a garbled mess you mean? Please try to find a real Latin proverb for the situation and not some quick nonsense.

Turtur non concilianda cum taurus!

You do have a thing for turtle doves and bulls?

It's all about velocity! That's what started this whole discussion: you reading posts too fast!

That's deep man. Very deep.

Its been a while since I dropped Latin for Ancient Greek (much better stories to translate)

and I know what that sentence is saying

but I dont recall Latin being the Latin word for Latin

Its been a while since I dropped Latin for Ancient Greek (much better stories to translate)

and I know what that sentence is saying

Let's just drop it OK. Otherwise BBoal will be quoting his garbled nonsensical Latin proverbs that feature turtle doves, bulls and roses.

Say that to Google Translator!

Otherwise BBoal will be quoting his garbled nonsensical Latin proverbs that feature turtle doves, bulls and roses.

It's not nonsense. These are quotes by Ovid, Cicero & co!

Right-o me boyo, right-o!

:lol:

Translator has still some way to go it seems before it can properly handle Latin.

Clemmensen is only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all.

But he gave the score those 5 stars it deserves.

Whereas the Star Wars prequels were offered up at three-year intervals, Jackson pushed out his films based upon The Hobbit in three consecutive years, leaving The Battle of the Five Armies at a disadvantage for fatigued listeners not ready to truly appreciate each of these prequel entries as any kind of singular event. The passage of time, along with thousands of lesser new film scores by comparison, will inevitably elevate the status of these prequel works given the likeliness of renewed perspective.

How does the Hobbit differ from Lord of the Rings in this respect? Does a prequel/sequel trilogy need those intervening years for the audience to cleanse their palate even if the original didn't?

Hmmm he makes a very understandable mistake when he refers to the metallic percussive ticking sounds in Beyond and Grief and Sorrow as electronics but it is in fact waterphone played percussively with sticks or mallets I think. Was there any electronic music involved with these films?

And for some odd reason Clemmensen laments the absence of Bilbo's themes in this score as if it were a new occurence. Same goes for the lack of adapting the melodies of the end credit songs into the underscore, refering to the lack of the Misty Mountains theme and not incorporating hints of The Last Goodbye into the score. Given Shore had no connection with Boyd's song and it was recorded fairly late, how could he adapt any of it. And in all fairness Boyd's song is more of a adaptation of the some elements of the Shire theme.

I think he is taking the point of view of your average listener and not of a devoted fan, which is of course very good for a review but in the end he nit picks a lot.

How ironic for you to say that, King Of Nitpickers!

Thank you BBoal Master of Sardonic Comments. And your OCD nit picking is not any lesser than mine.

Yet after delving critically into the minutiae of the score's many faults Clemmensen awards it 5 stars.

And your OCD nit picking is not any lesser than mine.

I never said it wasn't. But I didn't nitpick on Clemmensen's nitpickings!

Well after nitpicking on Clemmensen's review I'll award it 4 stars.

So this 5-star review is worth 4 stars?

Yeah I am not going to nitpick it and then give it 5 stars. You gotta show some level headed judgement man!

Clemmensen does give some great commentary on the score I have to admit, going down into details although he makes a few mistakes here and there concerning the themes and such. But I guess he doesn't have all the time we have for parsing these scores.

You know what? It makes me want to create website where I'd review reviews. That would be fun!

You could call it Nitpicking for Nitwits or Sardonic Reviews Central or Reviewer's Reviewer.

Thank you BBoal Master of Sardonic Comments. And your OCD nit picking is not any lesser than mine.

Yet after delving critically into the minutiae of the score's many faults Clemmensen awards it 5 stars.

A 5 star movie or score need not be flawless.

Like a woman can still look utterly gorgeous without looking perfect.

A 5 star movie or score need not be flawless.

Like a woman can still look utterly gorgeous without looking perfect.

Well to me Clemmensen dwells a tad too long on commenting what's wrong with this woman than what is right with her. But that is just his way of tackling these things as this is certainly not the first time he does this kind of in-depth review (it should be applauded he did one in the first place) in this style.

So this 5-star review is worth 4 stars?

Yeah I am not going to nitpick it and then give it 5 stars. You gotta show some level headed judgement man!

Clemmensen does give some great commentary on the score I have to admit, going down into details although he makes a few mistakes here and there concerning the themes and such. But I guess he doesn't have all the time we have for parsing these scores.

Some level-headed criticism Inky. Well done.

Others here seem to have something against te guys and are always aiming for his neck with each of his latest reviews.

There is some odd commentary in the review for sure, and that's probably both because he isn't as informed about certain themes (he doesn't exactly go to a forum with daily discussion about this stuff) and he's aiming for the casual listener. But that doesn't mean it was shit.

Could have used more balance, but of has good observations, which many reviews generally lack anyway.

I find his reviews very difficult to read. He's excessively flowery and paragraphs and sentences feel over-cluttered. The methodology is inherently misguided and remains the most conspicuous sign of increasingly inflated ego this individual continues to display on a daily basis. Not to mention the catastrophically mismatched style for its, largely humble and insignificant, subject matter.

No wonder people can't stand him.

Karol

Well to me Clemmensen dwells a tad too long on commenting what's wrong with this woman than what is right with her.

That is what a lot of people here do when it comes to The Hobbit discussion. So I find that bit of criticism highly ironic.

:lol: Well played croc, well played.

I find his reviews very difficult to read. He's excessively flowery and paragraphs and sentences feel over-cluttered. The methodology is inherently misguided and remains the most conspicuous sign of increasingly inflated ego this individual continues to display on a daily basis. Not to mention the catastrophically mismatched style for its, largely humble and insignificant, subject matter.

No wonder people can't stand him.

Karol

All aboard the JWFan Clemmensen hate train!

Here at JWFan we flourish on hate!