Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Playback for orchestra, that's a new one.

There will be no orchestra, just a small mini-hifi system on stage of course.

And playback for an orchestra would be hilariously pointless.

Interesting choice of socks.

Yes that was the main thing I took away from the interview. Very distracting. I can't remember anything else.

No Hobbit talk.

I wonder if Shore asks before public interviews not to go deep into that.

What I gather from this Q&A, from his comments on various things, is that he loved creating music for the films, but that he didn't care for the process.

No Hobbit talk.

I wonder if Shore asks before public interviews not to go deep into that..

Doubt it. He's done interviews before at premieres and he did the AMA. The interviewer even mentioned his cameo in King Kong! I don't think he requests not to discuss things, interviewers just know what they want to ask and what they think isn't apppropriate.

I thought Shore gave the moderator a funny look when he mentioned King Kong and the poor man went all red. But perhaps I was reading too much into it.

It was a bit funny when the audience burst laughing when Shore stated he went back to nature when he moved to Tuxedo outside NYC. :P

But I fully applaud his obvious connection and relationship with nature, which he somewhat abashedly tried to illustrate in the interview.

Yeah, unlike certain fans, who think that the Sindarin lyrics sound wrong... :blush:

I'll never forgive Elizabeth Fraser for mispronouncing Quenya in TTT!

It was may have been a case of mispronunciation for ease or something.

A language coach should know better! And the difference in pronouncing "caita" doesn't make difference in the musical phrase either. She just went for the English pronounciation as no one gave her such minute directions and managed her pronounciation. Only OCD Tolkien fanatics like me could spot this and hold a grudge over so small a thing.

A language coach should know better! And the difference in pronouncing "caita" doesn't make difference in the musical phrase either.

Does it make it easier to sing?

A language coach should know better! And the difference in pronouncing "caita" doesn't make difference in the musical phrase either.

Does it make it easier to sing?

In my opinion no. Although Elizabeth Fraser obviously did think so. ;)

I am assuming this is for the film music book, but I thought I would post it here anyway:B-PN3LlCUAABftn.png

https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/status/568524326451834880

I assume 021915a stands for February 19th 2015? "impsil" might include the shortcut sil for silent. Might be the book on silent films.

Shore said in the Berlin interview that Doug has done extensive research on the subject and that there has not been a book on the subject quite on this scale. I believe he said it was around 650 pages long.

"impsil" might include the shortcut sil for silent. Might be the book on silent films.

Yup. MP = motion pictures.

Guys, guys... "sil" is not short for "silent"...

"impsil" = Imminent Motion Picture "The Silmarillion"!!!!

By golly you are right!

"impsil" might include the shortcut sil for silent. Might be the book on silent films.

Yup. MP = motion pictures.

Guys, guys... "sil" is not short for "silent"...

"impsil" = Imminent Motion Picture "The Silmarillion"!!!!

By golly you are right!

Ha!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I have never been too fond of the mixing of the Hobbit soundtracks. Too much bass and not enough separation of elements like percussion (just listen to the Fire and Water where there seem to be interesting gamelan things going on underneath all the LOUD stuff) and choir. BOFA is the worst offender of the three though.

Peter Jackson happened! That's what!

Different orchestra, different conductor, different venue for AUJ and DoS. But it is odd that DoS and BOTFA sound different when they were done with the same team.

That is what I'm talking about.

But then, it's all weird, since Howard Shore himself said London sessions for both trilogies were supposed to mimic Watford Town Hall recordings in the first place...

Bizarre.

Karol

We should create a Kickstarter project to give Shore a chance to erase everything, start from scratch and do it properly this time.

Yeah! And if we steal the Enterprise, we can resurrect Leonard so he can sing the Bilbo song!

Shore doesn't need the films, he has the book to work from!

We should then just hire him to score The Silmarillion. The entire thing so that you can listen to it while reading. And release the SE album for slower readers.

Karol

That would require rewriting the film and hiring Guillermo del Toro all over again.

Oh never mind, I love all those score anyway.

Karol

I'd settle for a more balanced and less bass heavy mix of all three Hobbit scores.

Let's just hope the CRs will have a different, better mix.

Of course, we should hope we get CRs in the first place.

Yeah fingers crossed!

We should create a Kickstarter project to give Shore a chance to erase everything, start from scratch and do it properly this time.

Yeah! And if we steal the Enterprise, we can resurrect Leonard so he can sing the Bilbo song!

Thank you for unleashing that ear wyrm upon me. Now I can't get a moment's rest from "Bilbo, Bilbo Baggins only three feet tall..."