Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Because it's the last one. The music of Middle-earth is complete (for now).

Interesting that Doug tweeted this:

Music editing on #TheHobbit (BOFA EE) is now complete.

https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/status/606434353225211904

Perhaps since he's not in the BOTFA special features he's not under NDA.

We know all of the recording was done back in September-October, so they've just been conforming the music to the final cut I take. I wonder why Doug shared this, perhaps the EE is more exciting than the previous ones musically.

Those picture he tweeted of time stamps for Thrain DOS pieces seemed to suggest he was stitching together cues for personal listening, or for the book release. Surely expanded releases would need to released alongside a detailed discussion of the cues.

https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/status/578661917318844417

So how is the Hobbit book project doing? Any hints at the possible release of the next tome?

The BOFA EE music was all written and recorded alongside the Theatrical music--with the exception of one piece. Shore's work was largely done last fall. (I believe the final short composition was written in late February and recorded shortly thereafter ... though I'd have to check to be certain.)

Music editing on the Hobbit films was a pretty independent process.

Glad you've enjoyed the LOTR book, thanks! We'll see if we can come up with a worthy followup or two. :)

Let's hope the music gets a nice clean representation in the film. Would be nice for the full nature and eagles theme to play during the eagle/Beorn scene if the bear does indeed get more screen time.

Has Howard been involved at all since the scoring last year, as in being consulted for any decisions? Or was it simply a case of the kiwi's doing there thing and letting you both know it is now complete?

And while your here thanks for writing that excellent book on the LOTR scores, it'll definitely deepened my appreciation of film scores. I can't wait for your future ones!

Seems you've got competition!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25375

Incanus has written over 25000 words in just the first half of an AUJ analysis.

And to think two years ago I had to spend a while scouring the internet for any discussion of the first hobbit score.

Hardly competition SUH. I am sure it is littered with inaccuracies and some misinterpretations but it is just my way of expressing my fanhood and appreciation of this music. :)

The BOFA EE music was all written and recorded alongside the Theatrical music--with the exception of one piece.

Can you tell us which piece was recorded later and why?

Let rampant speculation fly on that one scene and cue!

I have to imagine that is the case. Why wouldn't have Shore conducted it, and what other orchestra would he have used at that point?

Was the AUJ trailer music recorded by Shore with the LPO?

Doug answered that it was recorded by Shore, don't know if he said anything about the LPO.

The trailer is a mix of Synth and Orchestra.

Were such a book to exist, chances are my first draft would have been delivered and I'd be waiting for the first round of edits.

But that's all conjecture at this point. :)

So how is the Hobbit book project doing? Any hints at the possible release of the next tome?

Yes, Howard wrote a short motif for me once. I rarely mention it because I have a hard time wrapping my own head around the idea. :)

I recall you joked about Shore writing you a personal theme, is there actually a Howard theme for Doug Adams in this world?

I personal goal of mine would be to have portray a character who gets his own Shore or Williams theme. Too bad I'm not a professional actor!

Seems you've got competition!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25375

Incanus has written over 25000 words in just the first half of an AUJ analysis.

And to think two years ago I had to spend a while scouring the internet for any discussion of the first hobbit score.

Hardly competition SUH. I am sure it is littered with inaccuracies and some misinterpretations but it is just my way of expressing my fanhood of this music. :)

I was just teasing. It's incredible the amount of time you put into that! I'm definitely give it a proper look through when I'm able.

No can do, sorry.

The BOFA EE music was all written and recorded alongside the Theatrical music--with the exception of one piece.

Can you tell us which piece was recorded later and why?

Is Impossible Silence the title of your Silent Film music book? ;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

-Victor Hugo

Was the AUJ trailer music recorded by Shore with the LPO?

Doug answered that it was recorded by Shore, don't know if he said anything about the LPO.

The trailer is a mix of Synth and Orchestra.

I *believe* it was an Isobel Griffiths pick-up group.

I'm very pleased to hear that a piece was composed and recorded later, and that Jackson did not take the decision to simply track music for the scene in question. Puts me in good stead for what's to come.

I'm very pleased to hear that a piece was composed and recorded later, and that Jackson did not take the decision to simply track music for the scene in question.

Just because it was recorded later doesn't necessarily mean PJ will use it in the final EE cut!

Well if he doesn't he's even further gone than we thought! Worst still, we'd probably never know it unless Doug told us.

I have to imagine that is the case. Why wouldn't have Shore conducted it, and what other orchestra would he have used at that point?

If it was recorded at Abbey Road, would have been a big trip for just a minute or so of recordings.

Do we know it was recorded at Abbey Road?

If it was recorded at Abbey Road, would have been a big trip for just a minute or so of recordings.

Do we know it was recorded at Abbey Road?

He said if.

Were such a book to exist, chances are my first draft would have been delivered and I'd be waiting for the first round of edits.

But that's all conjecture at this point. :)

Well that sounds like some promising conjecture. Hypothetically speaking of course. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Man it is dense stuff musically and that is part of why I love it. :)

Yeah you can't be sure which theme is playing because all the bars have a bit of every closely related theme in there you know. It's like stream of consciousness, only with themes you know. Theme of consciousness.

Thematic/motivic development in The Hobbit is less circular than it was in LOTR. That's part of what makes it its own animal.

In a sense, LOTR was more "there and back again," and The Hobbit is "there and there." :)

I wish the ascending wizard theme from from AUJ had returned in full. It's so beautiful and could have been great towards the end of BOTFA. These references to it are neat, but its a shame the full phrase was limited to AUJ.

Isn't that second theme for Gandalf more specific though, not just alternating with the primary idea heard most often in these scores merely for variety's sake?

Isn't that second theme for Gandalf more specific though, not just alternating with the primary idea heard most often in these scores merely for variety's sake?

It's more a theme for the wizards as a collective.

Why would a theme for wizards as a collective play when Gandalf decides to leave the company being Thorin is being a douche?

Why would a theme for wizards as a collective play when Gandalf decides to leave the company being Thorin is being a douche?

All the wizards would agree Thorin is a douche? ;)