Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

I completely forgot the entire windlance destruction was bafflingly ignored/removed from both versions of the film, after the previous film went to such lengths to establish it. These films are a freakin' mess. 

On the EE cues, I vaguely recall reading that, unlike the LOTR EEs which were assembled months after the theatrical versions were released, the Hobbit EEs were actually completed in line with the film's themselves to save on production costs (so the visual effects and music could be done while they had crew working on the film itself). If so, wouldn't all the EE cues (Thorin's funeral, Chariot chase) have been recorded at the same time as the score proper? 

Shame they weren't just included on the special edition soundtracks. BOTFA is such a short soundtrack as it is, what 90 minutes of actual score? It's not like EE spoilers were much of a consideration by that stage. 

Well, it would have been incomplete, seeing how the Thorin Funeral Chorale hadn't been recorded yet....

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Do you know which EE cues were recorded with the score itself? I can't find a cue breakdown anywhere for either sequel. 

Pretty much everything in the EE, not in the TE, that wasn't songs or tracked for AUJ is on the SE/OST and was just snipped from the TE IIRC

Thrain
The World of Men (Laketown entrance)
Alfrid talking to the Master about the rumors
The Enchanted River
Beorn

Etc.

I think Thorin's Funeral cue is the ONLY thing recorded at a later, EE specific session.  All the other music heard in the EE that wasn't heard in the TE, for any of the three films, was recorded at the main sessions with everything else

20 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I just hope one day we'll get a carefully constructed set with the complete Fire and Water.

I did my own edit of the commercial release(s) + film music, and that alone was pretty epic.

11 minutes ago, Gollum Cat said:

I did my own edit of the commercial release(s) + film music, and that alone was pretty epic.

Is there an editing guide for combining both official releases for each score? It seems like, with AUJ at least, each film's 'standard edition' score release has material the 'special edition' release lacks, and vice versa. All in addition to stacks of unreleased music featured in the films themselves (mostly revised film alternates -- Shore was clearly partial to his original vision for the trilogy over Jackson's).

Then there's the 'extended' versions of some tracks, some of which are only 15 or so seconds longer than their standard edition counterparts. 😕

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Is there an editing guide for combining both official releases for each score? It seems like, with AUJ at least, each film's 'standard edition' score release has material the 'special edition' release lacks, and vice versa. All in addition to stacks of unreleased music featured in the films themselves (mostly revised film alternates -- Shore was clearly partial to his original vision for the trilogy over Jackson's).

Then there's the 'extended' versions of some tracks, some of which are only 15 or so seconds longer. 😕

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10HfEhP9SGeUYXNi0BU_k1ziu147kJCq3V_xQ8PVe4BU/

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

I'd recommend saving the headache over that mess and seeking out what others have already done.

Well, you can lead a drink of water... but can you make it horse?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is awesome! Thanks @Jay

How I long for the day when Doug Adams can release these scores comprehensively.

Damn, some horrendous tracking and cutting and pasting in that second one. Parts of it almost sound artificial. And the first one is so horribly mixed...

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

Damn, some horrendous tracking and cutting and pasting in that second one. Parts of it almost sound artificial. And the first one is so horribly mixed...

I'm sure others have already done a comprehensive analysis on the Hobbit scores but I'm pretty ignorant on the whole topic. That said:

0:00 - 0:10 - sounds like original music, don't remember hearing it anywhere else in the score/OST

0:10 - 0:20 - also sounds like original music I don't remember from elsewhere in the score, but indeed sounds very cut/pasted. Multiple alternates?

0:21 - 0:44 - this sounds tracked from the prologue cue, right?

0:45 - 1:08 - could easily be tracked from elsewhere in the score (sounds similar to the climax of Over Hill minus the strings) but it's a fairly natural transition into...

1:08 - 3:23 - which is definitely not tracked, clearly an alternate Out of the Frying Pan

6 hours ago, Kühni said:

This area is where Doug is reportedly often seen shopping for groceries, but never at the same store twice. I suggest we send out an army of...Rhosgobel Rabbits...to narrow the area down and then lead a teatime raid on his premises for the tapes. Anyone on board?

da.jpg

You just made my day. Hilarious!

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm sure others have already done a comprehensive analysis on the Hobbit scores but I'm pretty ignorant on the whole topic. That said:

0:00 - 0:10 - sounds like original music, don't remember hearing it anywhere else in the score/OST

0:10 - 0:20 - also sounds like original music I don't remember from elsewhere in the score, but indeed sounds very cut/pasted. Multiple alternates?

0:21 - 0:44 - this sounds tracked from the prologue cue, right?

0:45 - 1:08 - could easily be tracked from elsewhere in the score (sounds similar to the climax of Over Hill minus the strings) but it's a fairly natural transition into...

1:08 - 3:23 - which is definitely not tracked, clearly an alternate Out of the Frying Pan

We have the cue from the Howard Shore score documentary that came with the OST, 0:21-0:44 is tracked.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxQSwI5aPja9WndRWnNleXRjSW8

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Alternate as in last minute re-arrangement of TTT climax material to make the cut.

• 1 year later...

Great!

I feel really bad, I have not had time to sit down for 3 hours and watch any of these yet, but I really really really want to!  Just too busy right now

On 8/5/2020 at 11:58 PM, Bofur01 said:

I hope so, your videos are amazing, and I would love to have similar ones for the Hobbit (though recognise it’s just a fool’s hope...)

Thanks! And yes, I know the demand is there. The passion and enthusiasm of Doug and Jim are so infectious, that I almost feel guilty for not liking the Hobbit. It's just so emotionally taxing to keep an interest in the legitimately good themes like Tauriel and Azog, when the same characters' existence bloats the story.

• 1 month later...