Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

It kinda does :P

Not it doesn't.

Its a very well done concert work with Shore rethinking of the music.

The only problem with it is that it was mislabled as a symphony.

What I'd do to hear a real symphony based on LOTR. Or even something in the vein of Williams' concert suite for Memoirs.

Of course it'll never happen. I have a feeling Shore is pretty tired of Middle-Earth at this point.

He means a symphony based on Shore's themes.

This.

What I'd do to hear a real symphony based on LOTR.

Johan De Meiji ;)

A competent work, but not very interesting to me.

Can you imagine The Silmarillion oratorio? Or something like that? Would be amazing.

Karol

Would be amazing if Shore wrote more in the avant-garde vein of his film scores than his more conservative neo-classical concert works.

It would have been cool either way, if you ask me.

But yes, I'd like to see some of his more challenging material bleeding into concert works.

Karol

What I'd do to hear a real symphony based on LOTR.

Johan De Meiji ;)

I think I pissed off De Meiji when I met him, though I didn't realize it was him till after I said what I said....

He has a new hard bound edition of his manuscript for the symphony, with a bunch of statements from other composers and stuff inside and a CD of the original recording. It's utterly excessive at $125, and I heckled it a bit in front of him at a clinic, but didn't realize he was standing there.

Later on I thumbed through it while standing by him and only managed to say to him "that's some volume." He glared at me, then looked down at his computer. My worst composer interaction ever!

So has anyone else just been enjoying the soundtrack album as it is and not been just meticulously comparing it to the score as heard in the film? ;)

Maybe it was the theater I was in, but the music was almost inaudible in the second half of the film. Anyway, at this point I'm pretty much pretending the album is all the it exists of the movie, because, Jesus what a mess of a film.

So, these are the bits of music in Guardians of the Three that are not in the film (at least not in the same position as the OST), and seem to me to be too long to be used in the TE of the film at the positions the OST indicates.

0:00 - 0:28 Used later on in the sequence the film but shortened, most likely tracked.

0:46 - 1:04 Not used in the film, too long and unfitting to be used for the Gandalf, and Radagast and the Warden (Conan-Bolg/Azog) bit.

1:04 - 1:20 Used later on, but most likely intended for Galadriel entering Dol Guldur.

1:45 - 1:53 unused most likely dialed out.

1:53 - 2:14 not used, too long for the scene.

3:38 - 4:01 not used

4:24 - 5:08 partially used

That and Gundabad were themes I thought were cut.

Does Gundabad make it in?

I think it does, though not the marching variant

The most frustrating thing in the film for me is the non-scoring of the army leaving Gundabad, lead by the bats.

Personally, I was most hoping for a heroic setting of the Isengard theme to be used at some point in the "Guardians of the Three" scene. Then again, maybe it was and I just couldn't hear it.

The most frustrating thing in the film for me is the non-scoring of the army leaving Gundabad, lead by the bats.

Personally, I was most hoping for a heroic setting of the Isengard theme to be used at some point in the "Guardians of the Three" scene. Then again, maybe it was and I just couldn't hear it.

Given Saruman's ambiguous performance in AUJ, there wasn't much hope for that. Also, he is neither long enough in the film, nor the focal point of interest in order to warrant making him so important in the score.

I hope Silmarillion will never be made into a film. Shore should just write music inspired by the book itself.

If Shore ever touches the Silmarillion, what I want to hear is archaic, bold, orchestral bliss. Screw avant-garde.

Why? That makes up some of the best parts of Shore's Middle-Earth music...

Imagine a 2 hour film version of The Sil!!!

I'd rather not.

The sil could work great as a 2-hour film.

Given Saruman's ambiguous performance in AUJ, there wasn't much hope for that. Also, he is neither long enough in the film, nor the focal point of interest in order to warrant making him so important in the score.

While that is true, we have not heard all of the music Shore intended for Saruman in action yet.

Imagine a 2 hour film version of The Sil!!!

I'd rather not.

The sil could work great as a 2-hour film.

Sure, make a trilogy of 3-hour films out of The Hobbit.

Did it work great?

It'll be weird having the book without the complete scores...

Which is why I think it is a mistake:

"Personally, I think it would be unwise to release the Book first, the OST's while generous do not tell the full "story" of the scores, for example on the DOS OST the way the Descending Thirds and Evil of the Ring motives morph from the forms we hear in AUJ into to the forms we hear in FOTR is a bit fuzzier, and the introduction of the Threat of Mordor is missing from the DOS OST. Of course that is just me, I don't make any of the decisions."

Huh?

It ain't.

Shore said so!

It'll be weird having the book without the complete scores...

Which is why I think it is a mistake:

"Personally, I think it would be unwise to release the Book first, the OST's while generous do not tell the full "story" of the scores, for example on the DOS OST the way the Descending Thirds and Evil of the Ring motives morph from the forms we hear in AUJ into to the forms we hear in FOTR is a bit fuzzier, and the introduction of the Threat of Mordor is missing from the DOS OST. Of course that is just me, I don't make any of the decisions."

Huh?

It ain't.

Shore said so!
You're trying to say the score in the film is tell the full story for something? :o :o :o

He actually said complete?

Also, we have got the films it's not like we haven't heard all the music (aside from completely unreleased bits). Although they'd better released CRs anyway!

#1 As written yes, not as in the film

#2 yes

#3 Well...