Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

We and BB are the only fans of the song?

The song itself is not terrible. I know a lot of people who like it, mostly girls in their teens. However, the point is not a single one of them realises it's from The Hobbit.

Karol

They really need to give us track times or samples soon because this thread is going all haywire.

For goodness sake why? It's a good song!

Yeah Shore didnt write it, so what? Get over it!

It's overly long, boring, goes nowhere and parts of it make me cringe. It has nothing to do with the fact that Shore didn't write it and it has nothing to do with the fact that Ed Sheeran wrote it. If it was as good as Thinking Out Loud I'd be fine but it sounds like something he slapped up in 5 minutes. It's just a bit rubbish.

I am sure Doug Adams' (hopefully) upcoming book will give us a chance to read what Shore thinks of the music and what his thoughts and work processes have been with this music and concepts found in The Hobbit.

Shore has written easily 21 hours, not all of it has been released on recordings after all. Don't forget the rarities from those calculations BBoal. Plus unrecorded music.

The LotR sessions all in all are over 1 month of continuous audio, which includes every take of every part of every cue, sorry excuse, pieces of longer pieces. ;)

I see someone at TORN speculated that the reason for the lack of the Misty Mountains/Company theme in DoS was due to copyright issues. I don't remember hearing this possibility mentioned before. Sounds like bullshit anyway. Not least since it played over that recent premiere announcement. And I can't see why they'd suddenly have issues with Plan 9 after working with them over so many years.

Though if it doesn't feature at all in BOTFA, I think the conspiracy theorists will latch onto the idea.

Don't forget the rarities from those calculations BBoal.

If you include the unreleased music from the first 2 Hobbit scores (which should amount to about 1 hour and 30 minutes) + all the LOTR alternates from the OSTs, the Rarities Archive CD and the ones that weren't released, we're probably around 17 hours (and 30 minutes) I'd say.

Next time, read my post more carefully before making useless statements such as this!

Thank you BBoal. I stand corrected. But I still stand behind my statement that Shore could have easily written more than 21 hours of music. Whether you get to hear all of it is another question.