Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

FOTR is the OST that has the best flow and is structured more like a 70s-90s classic orchestral soundtrack album. ROTK is the OST that most sounds like a disjointed collection of cues.

I think you just feel that way about FOTR right now because you've been deeply analyzing every second of it and comparing it to CR, rarities, video game, and dvd versions.

No, its because the the cues on the CR have endings and openings that perfectly merge together forming a flowing musical journey.

The OST sometimes sounds like the musical equivalent of some fans top 18 scenes of the LOTR films.

This.

Didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers, but musicality is a very important thing to me when it comes to scores. And the FotR OST just about butchers the whole concept in its presentation, which is why I've had a distaste for it. Especially when it comes to LotR, which I enjoy because of the way things are developed and I treat it as a long symphony of sorts. It definitely has gem moments though (primarily the opening track), but I feel like it does an injustice to the work as a whole.

Reading that back, I sound like a raging fanboy, so I apologize for that. I think I've made my point, and this will probably be the last I say on the matter.

Yeah it doesn't. But it does include most of the full score's major highlights, which the other OSTs struggled a bit with.

But I agree with Karol, I think TTT has the best OST in terms of narrative presentation.

We all have our own ways of listening to music, none of which are necessarily better than the other I guess.

Anyone a fan of shuffling their film music? I got a bit bored of listening to full albums recently and so started putting my entire film score collection on shuffle. This includes scores I've not even listened to yet which makes it kind of interesting. Heard my first full track of The Book Thief and it was bloody marvellous. I also discovered that the Schindler's list main theme gets played on the guitar!

I listen to everything individually as an album quite a few times before it goes into the shuffle pile. I usually "shuffle by album" on my iPod, so I'll get maybe between 1-5 tracks from a given score before moving onto another album.

Poor ignorant and incorrect KK and Karol....

The KKs are right in this regard. Don't dare defy us Cosman!

ROTK has the worst OST presentation!

It doesnt have much of a narrative flow, IMO.

Yeah it doesn't. But it does include most of the full score's major highlights, which the other OSTs struggled a bit with.

But I agree with Karol, I think TTT has the best OST in terms of narrative presentation.

What you guys don't seem to realize is that the score for ROTK is a massive one (4 hours long, for fuck sake!), and trying to reduce it to a 75-minute long presentation is quite hard, and I think Shore and co did a marvellous job with that one.

Yeah, I agree that RotK had the toughest job of summing it up. RotK used to be my favourite OST for the longest time, and it still is my go-to OST if I wanna a small dosage of LotR epicnness.

But TTT wins, because it has more interesting stuff going on for it on the OST that's not in the CR.

I agree with Stefan. The ROTK OST probably does the best job of covering that score's highlights in 75 minutes, but it is also the one that is most lacking in the musical narrative department. Cues just begin and end, suddenly you're way forward in the story with not much flow. But the music included is top notch stuff.

With an OST, I don't really care if the music cuts to later point in the films story, but if it presents a noticable cut in the score story, that is another matter. to me anyway.

Technically the Beginning is Aragorn facing the King of the Dead in the first part, The Mouth of Sauron in the middle, then the That Line Was Broken bit.

And it works.

I agree with Stefan. The ROTK OST probably does the best job of covering that score's highlights in 75 minutes, but it is also the one that is most lacking in the musical narrative department. Cues just begin and end, suddenly you're way forward in the story with not much flow. But the music included is top notch stuff.

Even at 70+ minutes the OST feels somewhat like a 30 minute Varese Sarabande release of the early 90's.

Yea, I always feel like I'm just getting into the groove of things, and suddenly I'm already at the climax of the movie/score.

In terms of OST: T2T > RotK > FotR

In terms of CRs: RotK> T2T > FotR

In terms of all ME scores thus far: RotK > T2T > FotR > DoS > AUJ

FIXED! :)

Disclaimer: All adjustments are made in accordance to the personal preference of Mr. Kalaisan Kalaichelvan. This is an opinion, NOT a fact people.

That I haven't done, but I've listened to everything at 75% speed and 150% speed. :music:

Why?

Yeah, doesn't that just ruin the music? :P

Hearing a bunch of young children performing the Maori grunts is hilarious!

Hearing Khazad-Dum in 1 minute is even more hilarious, it sounds like a marching band drumline

That I haven't done, but I've listened to everything at 75% speed and 150% speed. :music:

Why?

This, particularly slowing things down, is a very interesting way to experience familiar music in a fresh way and to discover new things to love and appreciate about it. Try it some time.

There was no list of things. One day, I wondered what a certain Beethoven piece would sound like if the blur of rapid passages were slowed down. After that, it's just been something I enjoy doing. In the way that you might stare at one corner of a painting, or watch a scene frame by frame.

It's fascinating to me to manipulate the time element of music.

It's ok, my opinions are radically controversial. I'm ashamed of departing so much from JWFan conventional wisdom and causing such grief to amicable, warm, and charming posters like GKguy, who has essayed only to be a friendly and civil presence to all, where I have deeply failed.

Woe is me, O, woe is me!

It's ok, my opinions are radically controversial. I'm ashamed of departing so much from JWFan conventional wisdom and causing such grief to amicable, warm, and charming posters like GKguy, who has essayed only to be a friendly and civil presence to all, where I have deeply failed.

Woe is me, O, woe is me!

Should that be "Foe is me, O, foe is me!" ;)

It is JWFan after all. And nothing good can come of such revelations of obvious deviance!

Woe is me, O, woe is me!

Should that be "Foe is me, O, foe is me!" ;)

It is JWFan after all. And nothing good can come of such revelations of obvious deviance!

If I'm destined to be villainous on here to certain people, then so be it. I'll shake the very foundations of this place with my cruelty. Ammo is plentiful, and my aim is masterful.