When Hollywood makes 2 similar movies at the same time...

Jay

Anybody know what I'm talking about? Off the top of my head, I can remember

Tombstone and Wyatt Earp in 1994/5 - Two movies about Wyatt Earp

Dante's Peak and Volcano in 1997 - Two movies about volcanos erupting on US soil

Antz and A Bug's Life in 1998 - two CGI movies about insects!

Deep Impact and Armageddon also in 1998 - Two disaster movies about a comet/asteroid that is going to hit the Earth

Truman Show and Ed in 1998/9 - Two movies about men whose live is broadcast as a 24/7 reality show

First Daughter and Chasing Liberty in 2004 - Two movies about the daughter's of the POTUSA trying to live normal lives

Capote and Infamous in 2005/6 - Two movies about Truman Capote

Mirror Mirror and Snow White and the Huntsmen in 2012 - Two "modern reimagining"s of Snow White

And a bonus, how about this crazy 3fer:

Scoop, The Prestige, and The Illusionist in 2006 - Three movies about magicians set in the past. Beyond that, two of the three starred Hugh Jackman, two of the three starred Scarlett Johansson, and two of the three starred Ricky Jay. Phew!

What made me think of this and prompted me to start the thread is that I recently found out there are TWO upcoming live action adaptations of The Jungle Book in the works!

The first one is a Disney film directed by Jon Favreau opening in 2015, starring Bill Murray, Idris Elba, Ben Kingsley, Christopher Walken, Giancarlo Esposito, Scarlett Johansson, and Lupita Nyong'o. IMDB says John Debney will score it.

The second one is a Warner Brothers film directed by Andy Serkis opening in 2016, starring Serkis, Benedict Cumberbatch, Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Naomie Harris, Tom Hollander, Eddie Marsan and Peter Mullan. I wonder if Serkis will try to get Shore to score it?

Crazy, eh?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=122095

How about the two upcoming Jungle Book movies, though?

I had no idea either was in the works, and I find out there's two, both live action, both with great casts!

As well as Prince Of Thieves, there was also a lower-budget British version of Robin Hood in '91 with Patrick Bergin as Robin and Uma Thurman as Marian. OK, it's not Hollywood making both versions in this case but still a weird coincidence.

That couple of years that Dreamworks number one priority was to rip-off Disney-Pixar.

Bugs / Antz

The Emperor's New Groove / The Road to El Dorado (debatable, but both are comedies set in South America)

Finding Nemo / Shark Tale

The Wild / Madagascar

I thought there were more though

I never heard of it before now, either...

bb76f08fbdcc905f4a9c5631b4057f7cd05ec4ad

It did come first though. But I guess it goes to show which one won the battle then.

Wikipedia has a fairly comprehensive list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_films

Some other notable ones include

- Babe and Gordy

- This is the End and The World's End

- Paul Blart: Mall Cop and Observe and Report

- Mission to Mars and Red Planet

- Despicable Me and Megamind

The second one is a Warner Brothers film directed by Andy Serkis opening in 2016, starring Serkis, Benedict Cumberbatch, Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Naomie Harris, Tom Hollander, Eddie Marsan and Peter Mullan. I wonder if Serkis will try to get Shore to score it?

I know this isn't totally relevant to this thread, but I remembered seeing this a few months ago, and I had wondered if this was maybe a hint that Giacchino would be involved with Serkis's film. (Probably just wishful thinking...)

Posted Image

Wikipedia has a fairly comprehensive list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_films

Oh great, I looked for a list like that earlier and couldn't find one! Cheers!

Looking at that list, I can't believe I forgot about the two Hercules films that were released this year, Heist and The Score, No Strings Attached and Friends with Benefits, and Scary Movie and Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the Thirteenth

There's at least two films currently in production that will center on J.R.R. Tolkien's life, namely Tolkien and Tolkien & Lewis. Additionally, a short film called Tolkien's Road came out earlier this year. If these were all big budget films with big name composers attached, we might even look into making a Tolkien sub-forum. :lick:

The first one is a Disney film directed by Jon Favreau opening in 2015, starring Bill Murray, Idris Elba, Ben Kingsley, Christopher Walken, Giancarlo Esposito, Scarlett Johansson, and Lupita Nyong'o. IMDB says John Debney will score it.

That was confirmed by Film Music Reporter, BTW.

It's interesting how the casts for both Jungle Book films came together in the same timeframe (with separate but equally impressive casts), but yet the Disney one comes out October 9, 2015 while the WB version comes out October 21, 2016. Guess WB wants to see how people react to the competition first, rather than try to release it in the same year.

I don't think these are close enough to qualify, but Shutter Island and Inception both came out in the same year, and both have some significant similarities.

I don't know if this counts, but there was a film called "Planet 51" which came out in 2009/10 which centred around an astronaut trying to escape an alien planet. Last year a film with similar looking aliens called "Escape from Planet Earth" which involved the aliens trying to escape from earth came out! Did they think anyone wouldn't notice this obvious laziness in writing?

Hollywood made 2 very similar films at the same that that were released like only 6 months apart.

The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions.

I literally was thinking the same thing before I read this...