Minority Report being redone as TV series

Matt C

Spielberg will indeed cannibalize one of his own films for a TV series, via his Amblin Television unit. Godzilla writer Max Borenstein will develop the series, which is expected to land a name actor in the lead and follow the adventures of the PreCog unit through his or her eyes.

Source

No telling whether it'll be in continuity with the feature film or not.

We'll see how closely this treads to Person of Interest, which may very well owe something to Minority Report, or at least to "The Minority Report" (Dick, not Wilmore), but transcended its influences long ago.

We'll see how closely this treads to Person of Interest, which may very well owe something to Minority Report, or at least to "The Minority Report" (Dick, not Wilmore), but transcended its influences long ago.

(Although I've been informed that if you're familiar with the Metal Gear Solid universe, recent POI plot developments will seem suspiciously familiar.)

Sounds promising. I wonder if they'll reuse any of Williams' thematic identities.

Doubtful. I think they'll go the full Jablonsky.

Ah the Pre-crime of the Week show. Every episode is like the opening sequence of the film.

Mmm ... granted, Fargo has worked well. But I usually find a spin-off TV show happening long after any 'heat' the movie may have generated (1997's Pacino-and- Reeves-starring The Devil's Advocate is been developed as a show, for reasons I'm sure make sense to someone somewhere) fairly baffling.

Ah the Pre-crime of the Week show. Every episode is like the opening sequence of the film.

In this day and age, the show would likely double as a serialized drama, but yes.

But the point about pre-crime is that every murder get prevented before it happens. So where's the suspense?

Show might drop us into the program's (Type I/II error-plagued) early stages, long before the murder rate ever drops to zero. As a procedural, likely to be more "howshecatchem" (à la Columbo) than "whodunnit." Lots of ongoing political and domestic drama, too, I'm sure.

You didn't read the article?

I hadn't heard about it before, I was just kidding around. However, after reading the article (with a rather misleading title) I am glad to hear that it would never really happen, thankfully.

You didn't read the article?

I hadn't heard about it before, I was just kidding around. However, after reading the article (with a rather misleading title) I am glad to hear that it would never really happen, thankfully.

A Broadway musical is something I could get behind.

• 3 weeks later...

http://deadline.com/2014/09/minority-report-series-steven-spielberg-fox-829426/

The series is envisioned as a sequel to the movie. It is set 10 years after the end of Precrime in DC. One of the three Precogs struggles to lead a “normal” human life, but remains haunted by visions the future, when he meets a detective haunted by her past who just may help him find a purpose to his gift. Borenstein will executive produce with Amblin TV’s Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey. Spielberg, who obviously is close to the property, was involved in developing the series take.

So, Arthur or Dashiell? Also, does Agatha become a soccer mom?

• 4 months later...

That's a better premise than I would've thought. They can't bring back the film's premise with any kind of credibility . . . but this is a competent (and pretty interesting!) evolution. I'd love to see them bring back Agatha, even if only for occasional guest spots.

Speaking of credibility issues, though: I just watched the movie again this week (total coincidence). I've seen it a dozen times if I've seen it once, but this was the first time the major plot hole—or, at the very least, the big gap in the plot arising from the fact that they never explain this—reared its head at me. How exactly were they planning to take Precrime national? I mean, I doubt the three precogs could just expand the radius of their "scanning" to cover the rest of the country. They would need others. Lots of others (in the thousands, at least). Where are they? If the nationwide program planning is on such a short timetable, the other precogs must surely already be around during the events of this movie. What are they doing? Are they seeing murders too? If so, is anyone doing anything about the events they're seeing? Do they have to just ignore it because it hasn't received official approval yet?

Maybe they mentioned something during the course of the film on this, but I've never caught it. Suddenly the Precrime program seems to have collapsed for an entirely different reason. . . .

Uni you think too much!

After seeing it so many times, and just catching it now? Nah. I'm slipping.

But it's not the first time I've drawn the comment. After seeing the original Total Recall in the theater the first couple of times, I concluded (in a discussion with friends) that it was impossible for the events of the movie to have been an implanted memory, and it was equally impossible for them to have been real. My best friend at the time just shook his head and said, "Why do you always have to dig?" ;)

http://deadline.com/2014/09/minority-report-series-steven-spielberg-fox-829426/

The series is envisioned as a sequel to the movie. It is set 10 years after the end of Precrime in DC. One of the three Precogs struggles to lead a “normal” human life, but remains haunted by visions the future, when he meets a detective haunted by her past who just may help him find a purpose to his gift. Borenstein will executive produce with Amblin TV’s Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey. Spielberg, who obviously is close to the property, was involved in developing the series take.

So, Arthur or Dashiell? Also, does Agatha become a soccer mom?

Sounds frightfully dull.

Uni you think too much!

After seeing it so many times, and just catching it now? Nah. I'm slipping.

But it's not the first time I've drawn the comment. After seeing the original Total Recall in the theater the first couple of times, I concluded (in a discussion with friends) that it was impossible for the events of the movie to have been an implanted memory, and it was equally impossible for them to have been real. My best friend at the time just shook his head and said, "Why do you always have to dig?" ;)

One thing I've never understood is why Witwer stops Fletcher and his team from pursuing Anderton when he escapes with Agatha.

• 3 months later...

http://deadline.com/2015/05/minority-report-lucifer-series-orders-fox-1201423473/

Minority Report‘s series pickup was never in doubt, but the project, based on the 2002 Steven Spielberg movie, got the ultimate seal of approval from Spielberg, whose company Amblin TV is producing the TV adaptation. The filmmaker, who had been involved in the development of the futuristic drama, recently watched the pilot, directed by Mark Mylod and, impressed by what he saw, opted for an executive producer credit on the project, something that he is entitled to on all Amblin TV projects but rarely goes for.