Rank The Indiana Jones Films

Temple Raider

Nope, not even JC can improve on that one. It's on its own lonely spot at the top, on a huge pedestal towering over all other masterpieces.

I literally can not see it from where I'm sitting. I need a Hubble telescope to spot it.

Aliens = the best film ever made. I'll never change my mind about this.

Wait until you see Avatars, you Cameron fanboy!

No way! Avatar3 is destined to rule!

But Alien is obviously better!

Roger that!

Everybody knows Alien3 is the best one.

Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. . . .

Aliens = the best film ever made.

Goose . . . is dead.

Judgment Day is better then Aliens!

I actually agree with that. I liked Aliens at the time, but as an action roller coaster, it doesn't do anything for me any more. On the other hand, Alien can be watch from different perspectives. As a horror in space (the way most people watch it) or it can also be experienced as an aesthetic work of art, sorta like the dark companion piece to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The following excerpt explains it better:

"All of which brings me to the key thing I realized about Scott's two science fiction creations. More than anything, Alien (and his next movie, Blade Runner) are about experiencing a world. Many people discuss the Freudian significance of Alien, or the philosophical implications of artificial life engendered by the replicants of Blade Runner. But these are secondary to Scott's phenomenal skill at making you believe you're seeing something shot on location in a parallel universe, and, through expert use of framing, set design, lighting, editing and music, to enjoy that experience. Indeed, this may be the single most important reason why these films bear so many repeated viewings. To some extent, any artistic construct that has a plot will suffer from the law of diminishing returns when read/viewed multiple times, because the surprise and novelty of the first viewing can never be recaptured. Other art forms such as music and painting do not suffer to anything like the same extent, because novelty is not a key part of the experience (indeed, in the case of music, familiarity and expectation become one of the pleasures; most symphonies and pop albums are more enjoyable on the fifth listen than on the first).

By having a relatively slight (but still thrilling) plot buttressed by an incredible sense of atmosphere and immersion, Scott made Alien one of the least wearying movies ever made. It is suffused with beauty and (perhaps counterintuitively) a soothing tranquility. It's an incredible film." - Dr. Citrus

Alex

Terrific observations, those. And right on the nose. I loved Aliens as a sequel, but a lot of its edge has worn down over the years. I've watched Alien at least twice as many times—once again recently, in fact. And it never fails to captivate me. It really is a universe in itself (that the following films could only marginally duplicate).

This was reinforced for me with the release of the spectacular Alien Isolation game. They replicated the look, sound, and feel of the original Alien universe so completely I felt like I was there. Really, the most inaccurate and least interesting element was the alien itself, which looked video-gamey to the point of near-goofiness. But I couldn't have cared less. I loved playing the environment more than anything else.

So I guess that makes Alien the best Indy movie of them all. . . . :mellow:

Yes Alien Isolation is pretty much the definitive interactive experience that every self-respecting fan of the films should... uhm... experience.

I've now played it so much, the xenomorph isn't as scary anymore. Except for its totally unpredictable behavior, it's just an obstacle to evade.

But the overall atmosphere from a visual and level design standpoint: bloody excellent.

I actually found the androids much creepier and more anxiety-inducing than the alien itself.

You guys reveal an interesting point: George Lucas can only succeed with characters in a certain, very specific age range. Once he goes too old (Indy) or too young (Anakin/Vader), he completely loses control and is no longer viable.

So we've just proven that Lucas is the Andromeda Strain of the cinema. . . .

• 5 months later...

He needs to be grumpier, punchier, more impatient and more trigger happy. He needs to shoot and murder more people to compensate for his aging bones disallowing close range combat.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  1. ARK
  2. GRAIL
  3. SANKARA

And yes, there are only three. Like any Alien film after Aliens and any Matrix film after The Matrix, any film with Indiana Jones in the title after Last Crusade simply does not exist.

6 minutes ago, Nick66 said:
  1. ARK
  2. GRAIL
  3. SANKARA

And yes, there are only three. Like any Alien film after Aliens and any Matrix film after The Matrix, any film with Indiana Jones in the title after Last Crusade simply does not exist.

This is such a silly childish attitude. Fair enough if you don't like Crystal Skull but saying it doesn't exist is just pointless. 

It exists. It wasn't great. Get over it. 

• 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Raiders

TOD

LC

vasectomy

wisdom teeth being pulled

colonoscopies

KOTCS

Watching them, or getting them? 

I've had two of those operations, and they were less unpleasant than having my nose sewn back on.

Which was more unpleasant than KOTCS. 

37 minutes ago, Woj said:

Watching them, or getting them? 

I've had two of those operations. 

Both and I’ve had two of them myself.

43 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Haven't watched those. Are they on Netflix?

Youtube be more than likely.

• 6 months later...

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (5 out of 5) The quintessential adventure movie. Its masterful balance of action, drama, and heart make it a near-perfect film in my mind.

2. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (4.5 out of 5) While arguably a rehash of the original film, Last Crusade boasts plenty of good humor and action, as well as the dynamic duo of Ford and Connery. The pair's chemistry is a joy to watch on screen.

3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (4 out of 5). The darkest and most exhilarating of the Indy series. Perhaps too macabre and over-the-top for its own good, but it's a fun ride.

4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (3 out of 5) The black sheep of the Indy series. While it's often dragged down by weightless CGI spectacle and implausible plot points, the cast's charm and the movie's heart (mostly) redeems this middling installment.

On 9/13/2016 at 1:10 PM, Bilbo said:

This is such a silly childish attitude. Fair enough if you don't like Crystal Skull but saying it doesn't exist is just pointless. 

It exists. It wasn't great. Get over it. 

Well fuck you!