Contact with John Williams

Mr. Brown

Have any of you made contact with John Williams? Whether if you wrote a letter to him and he responded with a personal message, or if you sent him a request for an autograph.

If so, by what means did you contact him?

Just curious.

I think the only way to contact him is through Gorfaine Schwartz agency. The personalised reply is unlikely but you might get an autographed photograph or something like that.

Karol

I (along with a few other members here) have been fortunate enough to meet him outside Symphony Hall in Boston. He doesn't really do it anymore, but in the heyday, I got him to autograph the Superman: The Music box and Minority Report.

I've never been able to get in touch with Williams himself. I've seen him live twice and I've been near him (outside the Boston Symphony Hall), but never exchanged any word or had any kind of photo opportunity on my own. I've also talked to his management, but that's about as close as I've been able to get, despite some very professional requests.

But don't let that discourage you. There are several members here who have been more successful than I, and I know of one story just a year ago or two, where one of us even managed to get a personalized letter in return.

On 9/9/2014 at 4:08 AM, Thor said:

I've never been able to get in touch with Williams himself. I've seen him live twice and I've been near him (outside the Boston Symphony Hall), but never exchanged any word or had any kind of photo opportunity on my own. I've also talked to his management, but that's about as close as I've been able to get, despite some very professional requests.

But don't let that discourage you. There are several members here who have been more successful than I, and I know of one story just a year ago or two, where one of us even managed to get a personalized letter in return.

How was the conversation with management?

-

How was the conversation with management?

Short and to-the-point, but courteously dismissive.

Nonsense, if John's conducting it WTF can go wrong?

But, mate, you're getting something from him every year (scores, concert pieces, concerts, interviews). For the past 56 years!

Karol

To some people that's what it's all about but he has influenced my life and I want something to remember him by physically other than the cd's. I know that probably sounded cheesy.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm moving along with my Bernard Herrmann documentary project and I'm looking for some of Herrmann's colleagues as subjects for interviews. Williams is a total long-shot, with a nearly 0% chance of ever appearing in the documentary, but I figured it doesn't hurt to try.

Even a phone interview would be sufficient.

I'm afraid your 0% estimate is optimistic. He's impossible to get for interviews (unless you're in the industry). Even the phone interview isn't very likely. He's a gracious guy 'n' all, but years ago he furled the clouds around him and doesn't really let anyone in. That's the reason there hasn't been even an authorized biography to this point. I mean, I'm cousins with Kevin Kaska, who did an album with him, and I've never met the guy.

I wish you all the luck in the world, though.