Apple discontinues the classic iPod

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there goes the one Apple product I actually use. I wish more people shared my hatred of touch-screens. My ancient iPod and Blackberry are getting a little long in the tooth, and I have yet to find something that I'd like taking their place.

I happen to prefer a physical keyboard myself, even though I type faster on a SwiftKey-enhanced virtual keyboard. If you're still holding onto a legacy BlackBerry device, I'd recommend looking into the BlackBerry Classic, which is set for release in November: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/08/blackberry-classic-q20-leak/

BlackBerry-classic-mobile-with-Qwerty.jp

I still use my 160GB iPod classic all the time!

So do I, almost every day. I've had it for nearly 8 years. Sure, it stops playback for a couple seconds occasionally while the hard drive does its thing, but otherwise it works great. The battery life is still excellent.

I put off buying an iPhone for the longest time, hoping Apple would eventually make one with capacity comparable to the iPod. I finally gave in about 6 months ago. No regrets, but I still carry the iPod every day. I wouldn't mind at all having an iPhone 3x as thick if it meant I could keep my whole music collection on there. With their 128GB model today, they're finally getting closer. Maybe next time. I just hope my iPod will hold out until then.

I hope they keep dedicated music players alive, at least the ipod Nano. Not everyone wants to listen to their music on a phone or tablet

I guess it would be wise to buy a new one in advance in case my current one lasts past the remaining ones are sold.

In some case it is.

But keep in mind the batteries in those things go dead after a certain period whether you use it or not

Remember what I said when Apple store replaced my discontinued 6G Nano for the exact same model even if they don't sell it anymore

If you currently have a ipod classic and it eventually breaks , Apple store will still replace it with a new one for about half retail price, but you need to trade in your broken one.

They keep the stock of discontinued items for about 10 years for such a purpose, so no need to buy an extra one now

Too bad. I've had a couple of 160 gigs iPods now. One just got replaced due some fault (the guy in Apple store just kindly offered battery replacement option for a small fee), the other one I smashed (my own fault). The third one is still with me for four years now and works great! I might buy one more copy as a backup at some point!

It's still their finest product. But, as Trent says, earbuds are shit! Middle priced Sennheisers do the trick for me.

Karol

Because it's an iPod and they are brilliant!

Sorry, I am not a member of this sect. ;)

iPods well the Classic and the Touch are the best devices for handling gapless playback. I prefer iPods over any other device. Even my Galaxy Note 2 doesn't do gapless playback very well in mp3 format.

Gapless playback is indeed a problem on many devices.

In my case, I have taken the habit of encoding contiguous tracks in one mp3. That means, by example for the Beethoven's fifth, that movements 3 and 4 is only one mp3 on my player. For a random play, that's better too...

There no reason why in 2014 they couldn't have a 128GB flash drive player smaller than a current Nano. They just don't care.

Really, you don't think Apple gave this any thought? The reduction in storage sizes is a conscious move toward music streaming. Once everyone is streaming their music library from iCloud or using iTunes radio a 128GB hard drive will be wholly unnecessary. You can agree or disagree with this practice - I'm just saying that there's a business philosophy to it.

I had colleagues who teased me about using an iPod at all, as opposed to loading it on my phone or simply listening to something like Pandora instead. My data plan wouldn't support that and it would kill a phone battery much more quickly. People who don't obsess over specific genres and are happy to listen to life on random shuffle just can't understand the need for large physical media. And of course, for places with limited or nonexistent cell or satellite coverage, streaming is impossible and just forces listeners back to FM.

If it comes to all ipods being discontinued, I'd switch brands. But the thing that made me buy an ipod is the sound quality is pretty hard to beat

I'm sure the majority of people will be happy with icloud or streaming or whatever, but there will always be a core group of dedicated music lovers that want physical storage. Also,there will always be situations where streaming is impossible

Now if the Nano is discontinued I'll be depressed. But I think they need to keep it around for people that need a small device while doing sports

I had colleagues who teased me about using an iPod at all, as opposed to loading it on my phone or simply listening to something like Pandora instead. My data plan wouldn't support that and it would kill a phone battery much more quickly. People who don't obsess over specific genres and are happy to listen to life on random shuffle just can't understand the need for large physical media. And of course, for places with limited or nonexistent cell or satellite coverage, streaming is impossible and just forces listeners back to FM.

Some people have asked me why I don't just use my phone. I should have pointed out the battery issue...but I mostly point out because it doesn't handle gapless playback like the iPod (Classic and Touch) does.

I like to keep my phone for texting and calls.

I never did own an iPod. I bought a Touch instead, it was absolutely fantastic. If I were in the market I'd buy a Touch over an iPod any day.

Anyone else think this heart rate monitoring nonsense is dead in the water? Mainstream wise there's far too many materialistic fat bastards for it ever to be considered a cool or attractive addition.

Now if the Nano is discontinued I'll be depressed. But I think they need to keep it around for people that need a small device while doing sports

That's what the Apple Watch is for! It measures your heart rate and everything ;)

it's not a storage device and has no headphone jack.It's like remote control for your phone

• 2 months later...

Of course scarcity is going to drive the prices up. Economics 101.

Now I wish my classic iPod wasn't stolen.

Oh, well. The screen was cracked beyond repair, anyway, so they couldn't tell what songs or other media I had on it, so the joke is ultimately on my mystery thief.

This is supply chain 101. I can't imagine what components they specc'd that they can no longer procure, whether for cost or political reason, or it just no longer exists. Mismanaged design and supply has led to the death of a product line. It's a damn shame because now if my working unit craps the bed or is stolen... Pono is smaller size and more expensive. There are some high fidelity portable players that are really expensive. I'd like to make a winter hobby be putting my degree to work to use a Raspberry Pi to build a portable mp3 player with unlimited space, but I don't see it happening.