BloodBoal

Wow, great question!

I think I started noticing film music and that the same man was responsible for all my favorites sometime around 1993/1994. So some of the earliest non-Williams film scores I got into (from seeing the films in theaters) where probably The Fugitive, Clifhanger, Speed, Die Hard 3, Waterword, Jumanji..... Sometime around that time there were the older films on VHS that I was starting to notice scores in, like Predator, Aliens, the Star Trek movies, etc.

I think the first non-Williams CD I purchased might have been The Great Fantasy Adventure album. That's one of the earliest at least. I am not sure what my first "full" non-Williams score on CD was, though. Could have been The Abyss, Back To The Future 2 or 3, Batman.... idk. I actually might not have even purchased my first non-Williams CD until maybe Independence Day... I dunno!

Either Gremlins 2 or Rosenman's Lord of the Rings. I taped them off the TV before I was aware of Williams. But I didn't realise at the time that this was original music written for the film. With LOTR, I specifically remember wondering what music they used. The thought that it could have been especially written didn't even cross my mind back then.

I think most of us noticed the music in TV shows we watched early

I taped the End Credits of the Star Wars Holiday Special, so that was my first recording of Star Wars music

If we're just counting anything that made a big childhood impression, then Herbert Stothart's score for The Wizard of Oz would definitely be #1 for me. I didn't count it, though, because it didn't specifically get me into film scores.

Titanic was the first score I listened to away from the film. It caught my attention in the film and the soundtrack was readily available. I spent quite some time listening to the Titanic OST before finally tracking down a copy of Jurassic Park and starting a John Williams collection.

I'm so terrible at remembering these things, but I'm fairly confident that Angelo Badalamenti was the first I ever discovered, at least a couple of years before I discovered Williams and film music in full. Why? Because I copied a cassette from a TWIN PEAKS CD that would sit with my other non-film music as any other concept album. This was, oh, 1990 or thereabouts?

This TWIN PEAKS cassette actually inspired me to write a whole novel! When I told Angelo this story in 2010, he told me to "make a film out of it and give me a call!". That made my day.

WarGames (Arthur B. Rubinstein), D.A.R.Y.L. (Marvin Hamlisch), Back to the Future (Alan Silvestri), The Boy Who Could Fly (Bruce Broughton), The Land Before Time (James Horner), and Dead Poets Society (Maurice Jarre) were all influential in shaping my extra-Williams interest, but I can't point to any one score in particular that led me to branch out.

CE3K was probably the first film music I ever heard, and it stuck with me. But also contributing to sparking my interest in film music/music in general, excluding Williams, would have been Paul J. Smith's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, North's Cleopatra, Jerry's POTA, Jerry and friends' work for the various Star Trek films/series, and then a bit later, Zimmer's Rain Man and The Lion King, Horner's Apollo 13.... It progressed in stages like this, with various scores nudging me further along, but it wasn't until I was fairly mature that Shore's FOTR and Williams' A.I. made me decide to actually pursue this growing interest in a real way.

I'm sure there was also a lot of TV music that fascinated me. Stuff like Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Quantum Leap, The X-Files....

WarGames (Arthur B. Rubinstein), D.A.R.Y.L. (Marvin Hamlisch), Back to the Future (Alan Silvestri), The Boy Who Could Fly (Bruce Broughton), The Land Before Time (James Horner), and Dead Poets Society (Maurice Jarre) were all influential in shaping my extra-Williams interest, but I can't point to any one score in particular that led me to branch out.

Did you know about this?

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/Daryl.html

Did you know about this?

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/Daryl.html

Yeah, it's been on my shopping list for the last few months. Once I figure out what else I want, I'll order it from MovieMusic.

Rozsa's Ben-Hur suite, in a youth orchestra concert. That was a short while before getting to know the Star Wars music, and I guess the starting point for my interest in film music (although also preceded by taping main/end titles from Disney cartoons from the TV).

Batman Returns was the first score, almost for certain. I've seen the first film before that, but can't remember having any kind of recollections of music. It was on a very old television set, on which everything looked green. The second score I can remember very vividly. And would rent the VHS tape constantly just to listen. Finally, my parents bought me a copy. The soundtrack album came later.

But The Lion King was my first album ever.

Both are dear to my heart and expanded re-releases are terrific.

Karol

The Da Vinci Code was my first serious film score and album. It was followed immediately by Gladiator and some other Zimmer stuff. All of which eventually led to LOTR and then Star Wars.

You did it all backwards!

I'm the original KK! He's anti-KK and that's a proof!

Karol

I am KK. Or KK as he should have been.

Television? Probably Batman '66. Used to hum the "death trap" music while playing as a kid.

Movie scores that caught my ear were probably Battlestar Galactica (had the 8 track of that and Star Wars), the Black Hole (had the dialogue record) or Star Trek the Motion Picture (from the advertising).

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Heh.  I see what you did there.

For me, John Williams definitely got me into film music - one of my earliest memories as a child is listening to a cassette tape of the Home Alone soundtrack.  For non-Williams scores, I would have to say there are three big ones that stand out in my early memories - Horner's The Land Before Time, Isham's October Sky, and Mike O'Donnell's and Junior Campbell's "Thomas the Tank Engine" scores.  To this day, the Narrow Gauge theme is one of my favorite melodies from any film or tv score.  Sadly, there was never a score album released, but I found a couple of mockups people made on youtube. Some day, I'll get around to making my own suite of it.

My interest in film music was triggered by John Williams (Star Wars and Jurassic Park), but apart from that, the first non-Williams scores that caught my attention were probably (in chronological order):

1) Titanic, by James Horner (when the movie came out, the girls of my age were crazy about Leonardo Di Caprio, so I "had" to learn to play "My Heart Will Go On" at the piano, for obvious reasons...)

2) Mission, by Ennio Morricone (his best score, in my opinion)

3) The Piano, by Michael Nyman (not a big Nyman fan, but this score is solid gold).

I heard both "The Piano" and "Mission" first on CDs, and only later I saw the movies.

First off . . . I resent this deliberate—and successful—attempt to make me feel old.

I was roller skating to Star Wars when I was a kid, and watched Close Encounters (the T.V. edit, which is still the most complete version of the film, something many people these days have never seen) and Star Trek II every day after school in the earliest days of commercial VHS. I had those first two soundtracks when I was younger, but STII was the first one I ever saw as a cassette apart from the movie (a friend of mine owned it). That was my first non-Williams pickup, and those scores started my collection way back in the early 80s.

It was probably The Lord of the Rings, actually. I might have been into film scores before then but that's the first one I remember falling in love with that wasn't done by John Williams.