What is JW doing in '03?

MrScratch

:mrgreen:

I noticed Williams doesn't seem to have any films on his plate right now. Does anyone know if he'll be doing any film scores in 2003? I hope this isn't another dry year for Williams. The last one was 1994, I remember having to wait TWO YEARS between scores, Schindlers List in December of 93 and Sabrina & Nixon in December of 95.

Its so funny, before the days of the internet... the kind of crude forms of information gathering one had to rely on. I remember, back in November or December of 95, reading an issue of Entertainment Weekly and seeing a page ad for "Sabrina" and casually looking at the bottom of the page just to see who did the music. I shot straight up out of the chair and cheered that Williams finally had another score coming out.

Perhaps if he's not doing any films this year we'll be treated to some recordings with the BPO or LSO again!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Disney piece is to premier in October - (I think that's mentioned on this site somewhere???)

No news about the Horn Concerto premier -but??? In another thread someone hopes that it will premier during the Chicago concerts at the end of the year - The Chicago Symphony did commission the piece - so its certainly possible??????

Personally I'm happy just as long as John is composing - be it for film or for the concert hall,

So even though there aren't any movies scheduled soon as yet, The Maestro is still composing - (maybe even right now!!)

Arh 1994!!! Post Schindler's list!! That was the time I began buying everythng I saw with Williams name on it!! Those dark pre jwfan.net days when for all I knew John had retired!!!

pete

I wish he'd star composing more for concert, and do the opera Domingo asked. One thing that I always wanted him to do is to finish the Hook musical. I mean, Disney has done it succesfully, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King. I don't doubt that with Spielberg's collaboration it would be a huge hit.

Klesko24

:)  

I remember, back in November or December of 95, reading an issue of Entertainment Weekly and seeing a page ad for "Sabrina" and casually looking at the bottom of the page !

Yes,I used to do that to,scan the papers each week or advance posters for Williams scored movies.

I also could also guess it was Williams just hearing some bit of music in TV commercials.

K.M.

I miss those times when they put the main credits at the end of the commercial. I remember looking for someone I might want to know, one example was when I first saw the trailer for First Knight... I scanned rapidly for the composer when I saw Music by Jerry Goldsmith.

I also was wondering about what was Williams doing since I never saw any new score, until I saw the ad for Sabrina in a local shopping mall. I said to myself "'twas about time!" and a couple of weeks later Nixon

I did that too, scanned the newspaper credits or looked at movie posters to see who did the score. Often I would try to guess who scored it before looking. It was a big kick when 'Music by John Williams' appeared, it would be enough to want to see the film.

As Joe, BigKen and Ricard have mentioned about the experience of seeing Star Wars or CE3K for the first time on the big screen, for me the one that sticks in my mind the most is Born on the fourth of July, I had already listened to the soundtrack, then a few weeks later watched BOTF at the cinema, and hearing that incredibly majestic music during the main titles with the dreamy visuals on a huge screen was quite overwhelming at the time. To this day it remains my most vivid experience of Williams' music.

I wish he'd star composing more for concert, and do the opera Domingo asked. One thing that I always wanted him to do is to finish the Hook musical. I mean, Disney has done it succesfully, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King. I don't doubt that with Spielberg's collaboration it would be a huge hit.

Klesko24

For more than once I read that Spileberg would love to do a musical, on the old Hollywood/Gene Kelly fashion. That woudl be great!!!

As for the Concert Works... all I can say is Amen!

If a season may ever have any influence upon a composer, I wish that he would be composing his the Horn Concerto at springtime. Opening of buds and blossoming in general may have positive impact upon a composer.

Have I ever told you French Horn is my second most favorite instrument right after cellos? That's why I want the concerto to be good.

Roman.-)

I still read posters to see who is doing the music. I remember seeing Lawrence of Arabia in 1989 and the theater had an advance Star Trek V poster on display, and I couldn't read the credits on it (I was too far away). When my dad went to the concession stand I asked him if he could find out who the composer was on the movie. He came back and told me it was Jerry Goldsmith. I was thrilled. :)

Neil

I was amazed by The Lost World at the cinema with that brilliant theme. :)

And I don't think it's too late for a Williams film score this year. And if not there could always be a film that needs a last minute rescoring.

Also I hope that Williams continues to do 1 film score each year but puts some time into more concert works. :) Especially an opera.

I was amazed by The Lost World at the cinema with that brilliant theme.  :)  

And I don't think it's too late for a Williams film score this year. And if not there could always be a film that needs a last minute rescoring.

Also I hope that Williams continues to do 1 film score each year but puts some time into more concert works.  :) Especially an opera.

Speaking of rescoring, didn't someone mention a great while ago that Williams was tinkering with the Indy scores and they may receive a re-recording? Anything new on this?

~Harry

Speaking of rescoring, didn't someone mention a great while ago that Williams was tinkering with the Indy scores and they may receive a re-recording?  Anything new on this?

Yes, we have plenty of news regarding this topic. But we don't want to share it with anyone :roll:

Also I hope that Williams continues to do 1 film score each year but puts some time into more concert works.  :) Especially an opera.

Amen to that. Artistically I think, Williams has done most everthing in film, there no surprises, he could experiment (though he has, to a certain degree) but some people wouldn't like that.

I think Williams should leave a legacy in the theater, an opera and some ballet.

Klesko24

Not very surprising.

Klesko24

If you're referring to my last comment, it was completely sarcastic. What I meant was that this kind of news is so big that if anyone knew anything, without any doubt we would have posted it here and/or at the site, as soon as we received the information. And if we knew something but couldn't share it, we would just shut up and didn't say that we know it :)

I think Williams should leave a legacy in the theater, an opera and some ballet.

Klesko24

When you say theater, do you mena musical theater? If that's the case, then Mr. Williams has been there with the musical play "Thomas and the King"

i hope he scores some future movie musical, like what was done to chicago. i'm not to sure if it would fit his style, but i would love to see what he could come up with.

Speaking of rescoring, didn't someone mention a great while ago that Williams was tinkering with the Indy scores and they may receive a re-recording?  Anything new on this?

Yes, we have plenty of news regarding this topic. But we don't want to share it with anyone :roll:

Do I need to be a member of the exclusive "user" usergroup to find out this information?

~Harry :spiny:

One thing that I always wanted him to do is to finish the Hook musical. I mean, Disney has done it succesfully, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King. I don't doubt that with Spielberg's collaboration it would be a huge hit.  

Possibly, but both the films Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King were huge box office successes by Disney and highly acclaimed. Hook was neither. I personally love Hook, both the film and the score, but I don't think they would succeed.

Hook: The Musical would be as well received by a major studio as William Shatner's efforts to get Paramount to give him the funding to go back and fix the special effects shots in Star Trek V to make it as good as a movie as he believes it is, and that's sad. There should be more funding available for directors and composers and people like that to be able to work on pet projects, even if they're not going to be accepted by the general public.

I mean, Lucas is getting money to make Episodes I, II, and III, right?

Isn't that the same thing?

LOL LOL LOL

Speaking of musicals, has anyone ever seen "Cannibal!: The Musical," a comedic musical about Alferd Packer, the only man ever convicted of cannibalism in the U.S. It's the movie Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park with Matt Stone, made in college with his friends. Just wondering if anyone ever saw it, I did last week and, quite truthfully, it's a schpedoinkal film!!

(that means good)

Well,now that I figured out the "horn" concerto is the French Horn,I look forward to it ,Its my favourite instrument :) ..If the piece is ever released on c.d. :spiny:

K.M.Who knows the only recording available for a number of years will be on a bootleg disk

Well,now that I figured out the "horn" concerto is the French Horn,I look forward to it ,Its my favourite instrument :)  ..If the piece is ever released on c.d. :spiny:  

K.M.Who knows the only recording available for a number of years will be on a bootleg disk

Don't be so negative about that... Look at the Bassoonn Concerto, or Heartwood, that were recorded shortly after they were composed...

I mean, Lucas is getting money to make Episodes I, II, and III, right?

Isn't that the same thing?

LOL  LOL  LOL

As far as i know almost all money spent on the SW movies right now is from Lucas...

As far as i know almost all money spent on the SW movies right now is from Lucas...

He also gets most of the money made from these movies as well Luke!

Anyway this is a question that has been burning in my mind.

IS JOHNNY DOING ANYTHING FOR THIS YEAR!?!?!?!

PLEASE DONT TELL ME HE IS TAKING THE WHOLE 03 YEAR OFF!!!!

I want to hear at least twop new works from JW this year.

I'd like to see one summer work and one fall work.

Shouldn't we have heard something by now??

So is there some sort of law now that JW can only score Spielberg projects? :)

FOR REAL! Come on John! Lets see ya do some works outside of Steven's realm for a little while. Plenty of good projects this year just asking for your talents.

So is there some sort of law now that JW can only score Spielberg projects?  :)  

FOR REAL! Come on John! Lets see ya do some works outside of Steven's realm for a little while. Plenty of good projects this year just asking for your talents.

Mel Gibson's The Passion is coming up. Perhaps he can score this one?

~Harry

Well,now that I figured out the "horn" concerto is the French Horn,I look forward to it ,Its my favourite instrument :)  ..If the piece is ever released on c.d. :(  

Hello king mark! If you're referring to my post in which I mentioned it be French horn, then I hope I am not mistaken so as to not spread rumors.

French Horns are usually referred to as simple as "Horn", the other instrument it could have bee would be "English Horn" (but it's a woodwind instrument of which I have not heard much in Williams' compositions) but I doubt it is the case with John Williams' upcoming concerti.

So is there some sort of law now that JW can only score Spielberg projects?  :mrgreen:  

Mel Gibson's The Passion is coming up. Perhaps he can score this one?

~Harry

A film about Jesus Christ? I don't think that is something for John.

Religious films traditionally have been great for music.

Well that is true!

-The 10 Commandments by Bernstein

-Kings of Kings by Rosza

-Ben Hur by Rosza as well

Among others ....

Anyway, there hasn't been a major religious film score in some time and I don't think John has ever done one so it would be an interesting project for BIG JOHN!

I want him to do that Alexander the Great film. Oliver Stone right?

Justin

And you're right, Justin. It will -- providing JW is eventually composing the musical score -- be a big challenge for John Williams. As long as many great Russian classics occasionally echo in his works, I believe there cannot be made a pick for a more "appropriate" composer to write the score. I can't wait either.

As unwelcomed as aging is, The Alexander could also turn out to be one of JW's last big projects to work on, excluding prequels and sequels that in a way limit composers' creativity by already -established motifs and orchestration. Hand on your heart anyone, can you name a single work by any composer that was composed at composer's seventies or later and is considered his or her best? I can't recall a single one... As to that matter, Williams is still better than many at their most productive phase...

Roman.-)

So is there some sort of law now that JW can only score Spielberg projects?  ;)  

I have a feeling no one's asking. It's usually the director or producer who approaches the composer about scoring a film. I have not heard of an instance where it's the other way around. A mid-size budget film may not be able to afford an A-list composer like Williams, or they may havea good friend or longtime partner in mind.

I hope to be surprised with a John Williams film this year. It has happened three times so far: "Sabrina," "Sleepers" and "Rosewood." All three times I saw his credit at the end of the trailer and almost screamed for joy.

Of course, with Ricard's extraordinary work here, there's no way to be surprised about what JW is doing. Seems like we know what he's doing before he does! ;)

I want him to do that Alexander the Great film. Oliver Stone right?

Justin

Well that is an 04 film. This thread is talking films for the year 03.

It's usually the director or producer who approaches the composer about scoring a film. I have not heard of an instance where it's the other way around.

Then you are missing quite a funny story about Stepmom starring Patrick Doyle, Chris Columbus and John Williams.

Well that is an 04 film. This thread is talking films for the year 03.

Ah, I see. :)

Justin -Who didn't know what year that was being released.

It's usually the director or producer who approaches the composer about scoring a film. I have not heard of an instance where it's the other way around.

Then you are missing quite a funny story about Stepmom starring Patrick Doyle, Chris Columbus and John Williams.

Your sarcasm isn't entirely appreciated, but I can understand why so many people are bitter over this. The episode reflects poorly on John Williams's character; it's tough to imagine the kind, gentle Williams of public appearances muscling his way into a project, taking advantage of his preeminence in Columbus's eyes. Even worse, there's the trenchant irony in that a man recovering from leukemia is ultimately unable to contribute to a movie concerning a woman diagnosed with cancer.

I'm not sure, but it may be the first time that a composer has a score rejected because another composer wants the project instead.

Admittedly, I've mixed feelings: I realize I'm in the minority, but I feel John Williams's Stepmom stands among his finest. It's not an ambitious score, but it's an eminently moving one.

Off course has this ever been anything other then an internet rumour, or is there some factual basis for it.

Personally i do not give a hoot wether Williams asked Columbus to toss Doyle out or not, but we should atleast treat it as a rumour, not a well established fact (which is what rumours often become after they have been told to enough people for a long time)

Also, i believe i read a posts on the FSM MB by F.A. Thaxton last week claiming that Columbus askes Williams to write a score, replacing the Doyle one, not vice versa.

Stefancos- :?

I smell moviemusic.com posters. :) Always bitter about the other film music boards. :mrgreen: But anyway....... I doubt Patrick Doyle would have done better, the music won here and that's perhaps the most important thing. ;)

He should have done the Hulk score.

I was thinking the same thing myself!

Wouldn't that be John's first real superhero score since Superman??

MAN! Can only imagine what a superhero score would sound like from BIG JOHN in 2003 vs. 1978.

His style these days dosen't really make me think Superhero. Not saying he couldn't change it. :mrgreen:

Justin -Who is looking forward to Micheal Danna's score.

It never said Irish either but he did far and away.  :)

Good point!

John Williams never really did much (or really any) Asian flavored music until Seven Years In Tibet either.

The man is more versatile than many think! :)

This thread needs a bump!

Someone must have heard something about JW in 2003.

Come on John! I don't care if it is Stepmom 2: Return of the Zombie Biological Mother or Sabrina 2: Featuring Harrison Ford as a cross dressin Sabrina, but do something dammit!!!!