Williams starts scoring Episode VII in two (!) weeks..?

Sandor

It's hard to hear Williams in that video.. but he did say "start scoring" and not "start writing"... correct? This seems very early. I guess this means they already have a rough cut for Williams to view and score?

I sure hope he doesn't! There's an even greater opportunity to recycle previous sections due to the wealth of themes and memorable passages from the originals. Hopefully J.J will discourage him from recycling the old material wholesale.

Will he finally remember the theme to Han solo and the Princess?

Well, it would be a great idea... if Han and Leia are still in love!

I'm not familiar with J.J. Abrams and the relationships he had with his composers, do we have infos about that? Is he very directive about his needs concerning the music, is he opened to the suggestions of the composer?

I only hope this new collaboration between a 48 years old director and and a 82 years old composer will be fruitful!

There is no such theme!

Everyone's favorite horse Doug Adams actually posited a theory regarding that on Twitter several months ago - that the theme we call "Han Solo and the Princess" from the cue of the same name is actually just a sweeping romantic theme for Han Solo (Princess Leia's own theme from ANH plays in the track as well, completing the pair).

No sure if all the exclamation points and question marks are warranted here. It's not unusual at all for JW to being writing themes this early for a film score. Obviously the cues that sync to edited film footage won't be written until sometime next summer, but its pretty standard to begin pondering themes now. Don't forget JW likes to write (was it 2 or 3 or 5?) minutes of music every day, at home in his office with his pencil at the piano. Might as well write some themes to present to JJ for Ep 7 along with the personal concert works he's otherwise working on too. Presumably he'll be sketching some ideas out for St. James Place soon as well.

Well it all depends on how they will handle the post production. Will JW have a complete finished film to view or just lenghtier "complete" sections for him to score? If I remember correctly his scoring schedules for SW films have been that he writes the score during the last third of the year and then records in the first third of the next. And if the film is coming out in summer 2015 then it is just a bit more early for him than usual.

Well it all depends on how they will handle the post production. Will JW have a complete finished film to view or just lenghtier "complete" sections for him to score? If I remember correctly his scoring schedules for SW films have been that he writes the score during the last third of the year and then records in the first third of the next. And if the film is coming out in summer 2015 then it is just a bit more early for him than usual.

The movie is coming out December 2015

Ah well then Johnny is starting really well in advance this time around. Makes you wonder at the way they are scheduling the post production if he is soon sketching out themes or whatever it is he might do at this point. I don't think he has ever been too keen to just sketch themes without the film to back them up except with a production that has demanded it like with Close Encounters. Even though he spends a long time crafting and perfecting his thematic ideas he seems to prefer to react to the film. Perhaps J.J. this mo has changed.

Maybe he could write a Divorce theme, if Han and Leia are separated! Like a broken version of Han Solo and the Princess.

Yeah realistically I'm sure Leia and Han would divorce shortly after RotJ. I love Han, but he's an asshole, and Leia wouldn't put up with his shit. And a couple declaring their love for each other in the heat of an epic battle, when neither of them know if they will survive or not (or right after a battle, when their adrenaline is pumping) is not really a good foundation for the mundanity of a long term relationship

This is so exciting!

It's amazing to think that while we're all be doing our daily stuff, somewhere in his office Johnny is starting to sketch his ideas for the film.

No it's not.

It's a "platonic relationship" theme.

Leia's Theme = theme representing Luke's fantasies about the woman who will turn out to be his sister.

Han Solo & The Princess = dynamic character theme representing the difficult friendship between a princess and a scruffy looking nerf herder.

Luke & Leia = incest theme

Han Solo & The Princess = dynamic character theme representing the difficult friendship between a princess and a scruffy looking nerf herder.

Strongly disagree.

One of the most powerful appearances of the theme, is when Leia says "I love you" and Han responds "I know" (meaning I love you too, in his own way).

This is a love theme!

And also musically, this theme has all the characteristics of a love theme.

it features the very characteristic Phrygian chord over a tonic pedal, which is a trademark in the love theme from Khachaturian's Spartacus.

One of the strongest appearances of the theme, is when Leia says "I love you" and Han responds "I know" (meaning I love you too, in his own way).

This is a love theme!

And also musically, this theme has all the characteristics of a love theme.

The composer disagress with you.

What do you mean?

Did he say anywhere that it's not a love theme?

Williams is notorious for identifying Across the Stars as the franchise's first and only love theme.

I don't think the scoring timeframe will be any different from the other installments. He will write for three months, record is feb/early march and be done with it. He will then turn his attention to the Spielberg film. The only difference is that the movie itself will not be released until dec versus may.

I don't think the scoring timeframe will be any different from the other installments. He will write for three months, record is feb/early march and be done with it. He will then turn his attention to the Spielberg film. The only difference is that the movie itself will not be released until dec versus may.

I can't imagine a near-final cut will be assembled by that time. There's a reason they decided to release the film in December, after all.

These days, pre visualization effects scenes tend to happen before or during principal photography, so it's not impossible that Williams doesn't have any rough cut material to write to at this point. Aside from Ford's injury, the production seems to have been running pretty smoothly as well. Picks and reshoots will probably done early next year after the holidays. However, it is a little confusing that Williams is starting this soon since the team was concerned they wouldn't have time to complete the film by May, which is one reason why it was pushed back to December.

Williams is notorious for identifying Across the Stars as the franchise's first and only love theme.

well, if we view the films in chronological order, yes, it's the first love theme. ;)

Williams is working on his sketches now - not just sketches of themes, but also sketches of little TIE Fighters, stormtroopers, lightsabers in the margins of his notebooks. He has a lot of work to do if he wants to be at his absolute best for December 2015.

I guess that we will have a better picture of things once the recording dates are announced. I suppose he could do what he did with Tintin and begin star wars now, score another picture, and then finish star wars. My hunch, however, is that the main, if not only, recording dates will be late winter/early spring. We will find out soon enough.

also, I am assuming that he is scoring the Spielberg picture, which has not been confirmed.

also, I am assuming that he is scoring the Spielberg picture, which has not been confirmed.

I assume so as well but yes, it is still not officially confirmed!

Williams is working on his sketches now - not just sketches of themes, but also sketches of little TIE Fighters, stormtroopers, lightsabers in the margins of his notebooks. He has a lot of work to do if he wants to be at his absolute best for December 2015.

He's going for the win this time, not just a nomination!

I imagine the Ford-less stuff is done and probably edited in rough-cut form, with a lot of pre-vis and the special effects in very very raw state, so Williams could start working on that and pick up when the Ford scenes are in.

Also, JJ is used to working with mock-ups so I don't know how they'll work here. For Tintin they did some mock-ups for Peter Jackson if I recall correctly.