Williams starts scoring Episode VII in two (!) weeks..?

Sandor

In all fairness, the HP:SS OST includes a decent amount of music written for things other than the film itself. There's an original cue he wrote for a TV commercial ("Hedwig Tries a Coke") and 3.5 pieces from the Children's Suite ("Hedwig's Theme"/"Prologue", "Fluffy and His Harp", "Hogwarts Forever", and half of "Diagon Alley").

Then there's Hook, which starts the OST right off with the trailer music...

So who knows!

There will be no missing music. The album will be a robust 36 minutes, which is all the music that will be recorded. The rest of the movie will be tracked with music from The Phantom Menace.

I think JW writes themes all the time in his head and jolts them down when he comes back from his walks.

He has several drawers for future use:

-Star Wars

-Indiana Jones

-Random fantasy/sci-fi movie

-Random Spielberg historical dramas

That's why he never runs out of themes

and Harry Potter's we still don't have, not even in the recording session leak.

And we'll never get it, thanks to the Brand X Music guys!

Yeah. Lost forever and ever and ever!

But it is cool news that JW is scoring the preview. :)

and Harry Potter's we still don't have, not even in the recording session leak.

And we'll never get it, thanks to the Brand X Music guys!

Yeah. Lost forever and ever and ever!

Even if they utterly destroyed the tape, shouldn't they still have the music on a hard drive somewhere? I'm struggling to remember their exact words about their blunder...

I just find it hard to believe that that DAT tape contained the ONLY copy of the teaser cue. There's probably one at Williams' house or something.

Regardless of whether that was the only copy, they obviously were able to get the music into the teaser. So it must exist as a digital file. We just have to hope that tracking it down is a priority for whoever puts together the eventual expanded release, since it would be an easy thing to overlook.

If this is really specifically for a teaser, I'm very curious to find out what Williams plans to do. Surely, we'll hear a rendition of force theme. Overall, I'm guessing the music will sound more like the PT than the OT. I'm sure I'll love it regardless.

Overall, I'm guessing the music will sound more like the PT than the OT. I'm sure I'll love it regardless.

Oh I disagree with that. I think this whole film will have a throw back feel, including the score. Later episodes might be get further away from the OT sound, but this will be the closest.

Overall, I'm guessing the music will sound more like the PT than the OT. I'm sure I'll love it regardless.

Oh I disagree with that. I think this whole film will have a throw back feel, including the score. Later episodes might be get further away from the OT sound, but this will be the closest.

It will be a tough job to capture the OT feel in the music as it was something most fans expected already from the Prequels and Williams succeeded with varying results on that regard. I would be surprised (happily) if JW can truly channel that spirit and style into the new score and re-capture that elusive creative lightning. Then again I am always happy when he explores new territory so it is a win-win situation for me. :)

Meaning I'll keep my expectations in check and not try to formulate in my mind some kind of impossible standard to which JW would have to aspire with this new music.

Based on the concept art, it seems like they're going for a balance between the PT and OT... visually, I mean. I'm guessing the film will be temped with music from both the OT and PT. At the very least, I just hope Williams will have the opportunity to score moments like this, which, sadly, weren't present in the PT.

It will be a tough job to capture the OT feel in the music as it was something most fans expected already from the Prequels and Williams succeeded with varying results on that regard. I would be surprised (happily) if JW can truly channel that spirit and style into the new score and re-capture that elusive creative lightning. Then again I am always happy when he explores new territory so it is a win-win situation for me. :)

Well, if you go by scores like Harry Potter, Terminal and War Horse, Williams can still write in his old thematic style if he choses to

Well, if you go by scores like Harry Potter, Terminal and War Horse, Williams can still write in his old thematic style if he choses to

Even Tintin to some extent.

Even Tintin to some extent.

Well Tintin is chock-full of themes so "to some extent" doesn't come into it. :P

But if there is one composer who still can do the old "hummable themes and variations" then it is surely John Williams the "Mr. Leitmotif" himself!

No, Tintin is not a good example and I hope Ep7 doesn't sound like that.. It's one of the few Williams adventure scores that lacks developed themes.

No, Tintin is not a good example and I hope Ep7 doesn't sound like that.. It's one of the few Williams adventure scores that lacks developed themes.

Yeah he opted for many shorter themes in the place of a few lenghtier melodies in that one.

You're right, but I meant in regards to "hummable and memorable themes" when compared to his golden era work. Tintin arguably lacks those kinds of themes, save one or two. In any case, Tintin is my favorite of Williams' 2010 output regardless of its hummabilty.

At least we'll get the Force Theme again and Luke's theme as well. Perhaps Han Solo and the Princess too, which of course is DEFINITELY not a love theme or anything. ;)

I wonder how Williams will approach the trailer. if he has not spotted the film in any way, it would be doubtful that he has new themes sketched. But obviously, to use just the old themes would seemingly be unnecessary, as they could have just tracked such music.

Can't wait to see the trailer, and hear the music in it!

LucasFilm should do the right thing and make the trailer cue available as a free legal download on StarWars.com. Or sell it on iTunes for $1.29 or whatever. Either would be great.