Ghostbusters (2016 reboot)

Jay

OK finally watched the trailer.

It was TERRIBLE!

This is supposed to be a comedy, yet I didn't laugh once.  Not a good sign!  (There are PLENTY of bad comedies out there that can still put together a funny and sometime even a hilarious trailer - usually by including all the best bits in it [leaving the rest of the film a huge letdown]).  But here.... nothing was funny at all!

And the music was god awful.  Yuck!

Special effects were fantastic, though!

I'm not sure about this. There was a certain charm about the Ghosts in the other movies. Here they don't look the least peculiar

I'm just interested to see what Theodore Shapiro comes up with. I wonder if it'll be similar to Bernstein's work for the original

4 hours ago, Drax said:

Bernstein committed the cardinal sin of writing memorable themes in his score, which Shapiro should diligently avoid.

To be fair, movies like Sharpie don't really call for the dated theatrics of the olden days.

I hope this doesn't prevent more movies featuring mostly women from existing. I know people see in a very different light a bad movie about men and a bad movie about women.

On 03/03/2016 at 5:57 PM, Jay said:

OK finally watched the trailer.

It was TERRIBLE!

This is supposed to be a comedy, yet I didn't laugh once.  Not a good sign!  (There are PLENTY of bad comedies out there that can still put together a funny and sometime even a hilarious trailer - usually by including all the best bits in it [leaving the rest of the film a huge letdown]).  But here.... nothing was funny at all!

And the music was god awful.  Yuck!

Special effects were fantastic, though!

This.

From Murray's 'He slimed me ... I feel so funky' to Wiig's inferring that the slime got into her vagina ... mmm, ain't *progress* GRATE?  

It is much funnier than the actual teaser. Pity.

I like Paul Feig and Melissa McCarthy -- Spy is hilarious -- but this film looks tired and, well, not funny.

I reserve any judgements until I've seen the movie but it just seems like a dead franchise to me. You could make a great, original movie with the talent of Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Fletcher Moules?!!! Not THE Fletcher Moules who directed the Clash of Clans commercial? Not that Fletcher Moules who worked as an uncredited creature technician on Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones?!!! The one and only Fletcher Moules who worked on the props of Matrix and Red Planet?!!!

Or perhaps the real question should be:

Who?

• 1 month later...

There are some things that don't play great in that trailer, but there is so much to like.  I can't stop thinking about that ponderous tall ghost stilting through Times Square.  The kneejerk reaction belongs to people who are so beheld to a great 80s comedy and its mediocre sequel, or to people who call other people "feminazis" and "social justice warriors."

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

There are some things that don't play great in that trailer, but there is so much to like.  I can't stop thinking about that ponderous tall ghost stilting through Times Square.  The kneejerk reaction belongs to people who are so beheld to a great 80s comedy and its mediocre sequel, or to people who call other people "feminazis" and "social justice warriors."

I think that, for the most part, the trailer looks bad, cliched and can't bear the weight of its legacy on its shoulders. There's no other agenda in the tepid reception

I just said it's a movie with a huge following and legacy. It's arguably the most popular comedy of all time. It has a legacy, regardless it if is a work of art or not

20 minutes ago, Romão said:

There's no other agenda in the tepid reception

If you look at the quoted YouTube comments in some of the above linked articles, you'll see that for SOME, there is an agenda in the tepid reception.  Not everyone, but some.  For some other people, it's not their cuppa tea - I get that.  But there is no denying that for many, there are external factors in play:  the thought that Ghostbusters should be well enough alone; the very idea of a reboot vs. a sequel; the gender of the four leads; etc.

It looks tacky and very passable, but no worse than any of the other comedies coming out lately. Doesn't really deserve the flack it's getting so early on. Most of the hate stems from affection for the original.