Ghostbusters (2016 reboot)

Jay

I would disagree but we'll see. Family Guy will live in syndication far longer than BB and both need heavy editing. The joke was clearly relevant.

1 hour ago, Woji said:

I was going to guess BB but your verb tense of "has" convinced me you meant a current show instead of one that ended. 

Right now BBC America is the home of Star Trek TNG, which I definitely prefer. 

We watched BBC for that reason too.

17 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Back to the Future not a classic?

It sure is a brilliantly awesome and entertaining movie!

Definitely one of my favourite series.

Brilliant isn't a word I would use to describe it. 

Whether you like the movies or not, I don't it's debatable that both Ghostbusters and Back to the Future are among the most beloved movies of all time and left a huge mark on more that one generation

I think Back to the Future is, Ghostbusters not so much

Do you own physical copies of Back to the Future or Ghostbusters? If so, please donate them to your local homeless shelter for a tax credit. They are wasting space in your collection. 

I do not, but David does and since we are now legally married I suppose what is his is mine. He likes them. and he tolerates my copies of classic B movies. Thing from Another World, and Them.

7 hours ago, Romão said:

Whether you like the movies or not, I don't it's debatable that both Ghostbusters and Back to the Future are among the most beloved movies of all time and left a huge mark on more that one generation

Beloved because so many people remember them from when they were a child.

Is that a valid way to become a "classic"?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Beloved because so many people remember them from when they were a child.

Is that a valid way to become a "classic"?

Yes.

To some, I guess.

But pop culture saturation also has to do with it. Back to the Future and Ghostbusters are both much more absorbed by pop culture than Transformers: The Movie or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Not that much. But a movie can be a "classic" even if it isn't the best thing ever.

But it helps that Back to the Future and Ghostbusters are both very good movies. BttF is one of the perfect fun adventure movies and Ghostbusters is a great high concept comedy.

They were both huge hits, critically and commercially. Their popularity is immense. They are constantly referenced and quoted. Their appeal has crossed generations (I wasn't even one year old when they came out). They have been imitated, parodied, homaged. Even the themes are known worldwide. What doesn't make them classics other that your personal opinion of "I don't think they're that good"?

9 minutes ago, Romão said:

They were both huge hits, critically and commercially. Their popularity is immense. They are constantly referenced and quoted. Their appeal has crossed generations (I wasn't even one year old when they came out). They have been imitated, parodied, homaged. Even the themes are known worldwide. What doesn't make them classics other that your personal opinion of "I don't think they're that good"?

Exactly this!

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Both good movies, both overrated because of childhood sentiment.

Yes. I was fifteen when I first saw Back to the Future, and in college when I remember finally seeing Ghostbusters in its entirety. Hardly childhood anymore but still. 

You saw them out of order.

Regardless of how I feel about Ghostbusters I will see the new one because of my man crush on Leslie Jones and because David will buy the tickets.

I saw them in the order set forth by the path of my life, which I do not question.

I also saw Return of the Jedi first in fifth grade, so for me, Vader was always Luke's father. 

And my first introduction to Star Trek was the fourth movie, making me more fond of the "Bounty" than either Enterprise. I am glad that I stayed with TNG after seeing Cost of Living first. 

Already starting to accept these gals as... the Ghostbusters!

And seeing that giant No-Ghost-Logo ghost wearing a bowtie stomping through New York, that is just so Ghostbusters!

Plus I love this fan edited trailer that includes some of the Bernstein score and the original song tracks. I've been watching it more than the official trailers.

Oh I agree. I just watched the posted trailer and didn't see one. The female Ghostbusters logo doesn't even have mosquito bites to suggest it's the female version, let alone a bowtie. 

There is so much hate for this film for no reason. It looks no better or worse than anything else out there this summer of mediocrity.

I have a completely open mind for the film and intend to sit down with no prejudices and let the film either wow me or not.  But the trailers haven't done it any favors so far.

And the score could certainly be very good; I'm honestly not that familiar with Shapiro's work.  But I think that album cover is silly looking.

His score for Dinner for Schmucks is really lovely, and I'd recommend it to anybody.  I also like State and Main.

A lot of his scores, especially for earlier films, are very brief and not well represented on album (if the movies got albums, they were mostly pop songs).

I think he could do a great job on Ghostbusters.  He is good with melody, and I trust both him and Feig to play the score straight and not Mickey Mouse the thing.