Ghostbusters (2016 reboot)

Jay

1 hour ago, Drax said:

She's the only one with any sex appeal.

She's a lesbian you know (the actor, I dunno about the character) 

• 2 weeks later...

This one doesn't even look like it's trying to hide how much it's ripping off from the first film. The final baddie is shown at the end of the trailer. It looks like it is summoned in a similar fashion as Stay Puft.

Slimer looks pretty good, but that's about it.

Better than the first trailer.

Problem is - they're ruining all the jokes. I really think you need to go into a film like this blind for it to have the biggest impact.

Also, 'from the studio that brought you'? Implying that they know no one's heard of Paul Feig or anything he's done. Almost as bad as 'from the visual effects company behind Avatar' a few years ago.

I think so.

Are you trying to say you don't think there are scary elements in 1 and 2?

Plus I find ghosts scary in general, but that's just me, and watching paranormal documentaries as a kid (bad idea).

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think so.

Are you trying to say you don't think there are scary elements in 1 and 2?

Plus I find ghosts scary in general, but that's just me, and watching paranormal documentaries as a kid (bad idea).

I've never seen the films. I always assumed they were comedies. 

Looks quite adequate to me. The Ghosts look like you'd expect in this kind of movie.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I've never seen the films. I always assumed they were comedies. 

You and Michie should watch the original, its a classic comedy.  Sequel is alright but still watchable.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

You and Michie should watch the original, its a classic comedy.  Sequel is alright but still watchable.

It's not a classic in my book. Both are very mediocre to me. That's why this seems adequate to me. It's pretty much in the same vein. I'm not really invested so if it sucks too bad. If it's good great. I will go because David will want to see it.

I'd say BTTF is a minor classic. But it's an overrated film and score for me.

I do love Leslie Jones so she is my main reason beside David to see Ghostbusters 

If "1980s film" is a category or genre, then both are definitely classics. But in the broader scope of all movies of whatever genre they fall into, then not so much. 

Then again, I've seen some pretty mundane movies on AMC (American Movie Classics), and never Ghostbusters or BTTF. 

The "classics" in AMC's name basically just meant "old," then Turner Classic Movies came out and did the same thing with a better library, so AMC bought rights to whatever movies they could from whatever era and genre. Now you see lots of bad movies from the 80s, 90s, 00s, etc.  They run Friday the 13th and Halloween marathons, and while some of those films are considered important to the genre, there's no pretending that Jason Takes Manhattan is a classic in any sense of the word ;)  AMC is as meaningful as "MTV" or "KFC" now - an acronym for who knows what ;)

In the subgenre of 1980s comedy or 1980s adventure movies, I'd call the first Ghostbusters a classic.  I think to call it an all-time classic is way too much.  A lot of people use "classic" to describe the John Hughes movies from that era as well - Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, etc.  I think they have a specific generational influence, but 30-40 years later I don't think they've "stuck" as influential films to anyone outside of those generations.  I'd say the same about Ghostbusters (and while I think the same thing about BttF, I think the it fares *somewhat* better than Ghostbusters, only because it elicits feelings of nostalgia for both the 1950s and the 1980s in a way that is very palatable for present audiences, including young ones.  Give it another thirty years and that benefit will wipe away).

18 minutes ago, Woji said:

Right, and as easy as it is for me to say it is, it's as easy for you to say it isn't. Who's right? Who cares?

We care. As for who is right we can believe we are.

Breakfast Club is a classic in its genre. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a classic period.

And as I've always said horror films cannot be judge by traditional film standards.

TCM is great, it's what AMC used to be when I remember staying up all night in undergrad glued to my TV watching Tora, Tora, Tora, mesmerized also because there were no commercials.

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

Breakfast Club is a classic in its genre. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a classic period.

I've never seen the former, and the latter only in nonsequential chunks. 

Now AMC has commercials and the greatest show of all time except for maybe the Wire.

9 minutes ago, Woji said:

The Walking Dead? I hope you don't mean that. 

Breaking Bad. Though TWD is a lot more fun.

Don't you know the joke? Breaking Bad is the great show of all time except for maybe the Wire. The joke being neither is the greatest show of all time. Star Trek and I Love Lucy fit better than either of those shows. 

I was going to guess BB but your verb tense of "has" convinced me you meant a current show instead of one that ended. 

Right now BBC America is the home of Star Trek TNG, which I definitely prefer.